Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork options with stock mag

Hello,

I have a 1979 gs750e with the stock forks with salt monk brake kit. I am looking to improve the handling. Are the below items about the only thing I can do to improve the suspension? I really want to remain using the snow flake mag.

Progressive Springs
    Emulators
    fork brace

Thank you!

Mark

Sounds about right, but keep your options open for Sonic springs, instead of Progressives.

Another thing that can drastically improve your handling is ... tires. What is on there now?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes inDeed including those tires (uncracked Avon road riders are very popular) include the correct fork oil and preload adjustment on the springs is also important.

Comment

racetech springs and cartridge emulators,
        you may want to consider new fork bushings when you rebuild the forks
        ....and some quality fluid.... fork oil
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

ok guy can cartridge emulators be used in 79 gs1000 forks

Comment

Yes they can.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thank you all!!!

My tires need to be updated..not even gonna say what they are haha.

On the sonic springs site they list a few options for springs.... Im about 165lbs.

Choices:

Thank you!

Mark

Comment

I just installed a set of sonic springs in my 78 750 with new sport demon tires,
                handling is like night and day,

Comment

And don't forget skill... upgrade yourself for optimum results.

We are the largest provider of advanced motorcycle training and the leader in basic motorcycle training in North America. Our courses are widely used by military, government, and civilian programs to enhance rider skills and reduce motorcycle crashes and fatalities.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 07-16-2014, 12:24 PM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by odl777 View Post
                    On the sonic springs site they list a few options for springs.... Im about 165lbs.

Choices:
                    On the Sonic site is a calculator that will figure that out for you.

It has been a while since I have seen it, but look for something that says "What springs do I need?"

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you all!!!

Comment

The MikesXS.com emulators are for 35mm forks & half the price of racetech's, & work AWESOME. Sonic Springs all the way, 1.0 will be a firm sporty ride, 1.1 will be pretty stiff & race territory for your weight. I chopped some gs650 springs to around .84kg/mm and they are nice riding but still corners good. .90 would give me less brake dive, 1.0 probably would be best for my riding style. Does Racetech make a .95? They are a really great resource,& can rebuild or even revalve (update) old nicer vintage shocks...

Make sure to get your total sag from topped out fork height to 1/2 - 1 inch I believe, look it up. aluminum bicycle seatposts cut down with tubing cutters work for the best for spacers, 25.4 millimeter size, or 25.2 or or 25.0 will work also. They are all fairly common.

Get a good set of rear shocks, hagon 2810 adjustable, the Ikon adjustable ones, or the cheapest YSS Nitro charged floating piston style (or splurge for their nitro piggyback style).

On the cheap, look up "RFY Model 2" on dotheton.com for chris livengood's work done to make these adjustable chinese ohlins knockoffs perform for a low budget. you basically need to make a new stronger clevis mount, and just disassemble them, clean them, and properly reassemble them with proper shock oil & a nitrogrn charge. Then you may need to mess with the preload quite a bit depending on which spring variety you get.they are all about the same initial rate, but the tightly wound progressive section on some makes them very stiff in a short amount of travel. The progressive with the much wider spacing in between the tighter coils are the better ones to get, and you can just add a little more preload on the shock or more by making a preload spacer to get them stiff enough for your needs.
                        There was a missing machined port on the set chris initially tested, but the non piggyback floating nitro piston set would not have the passage to the piggyback res, so not only are they cheaper & lighter, but they do not have a chance of having that missing passage, & have the same performance basically.

$309 Hagon 2810's are the best bet because you get a custom spring rate for your application, and they have a spring exchange policy if it is not right. The Chinese adjustable nitro shocks may quite possibly dampen better (& are like $129), but they require a teardown and proper assembly and charging before you ever install them.
                        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                        '79 GS425stock
                        PROJECTS:
                        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

0.9 is the recommended for your weight.

Straight weight is much better with emulators. Progressives are a crutch to help the bad stock damping characteristics.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                          X