No announcement yet.

Checking fork seals/fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, I had no idea about sonic springs and cartridge emulators. I will definitely look into both of those this winter when I tear apart my forks!

Comment

Me too. I always thought progressive was a type of spring, and not a brand, because they had "progressively" different spring return or something.

Since I haven't felt the dire need to replace mine once I re-sealed the forks and got the proper amount of fluid in them I hadn't done the research. But as several members were quick to correct me, and let me know how I was slapping another member in the face now we all know.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
        Me too. I always thought progressive was a type of spring, and not a brand, because they had "progressively" different spring return or something.
        It's both.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          It's both.
          Yep. A company called Progressive makes progressive springs and shocks featuring progressive springs. There are also other companies that make progressive springs, like Hyperpro.

There's a totally different company called Progressive that sells insurance via annoying commercials, but that's a different topic altogether...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            There's a totally different company called Progressive that sells insurance via annoying commercials, but that's a different topic altogether...

I thought all the money I have been paying to progressive for the last 15 years or so would have been able to pay for a more attractive spokesperson. Or at least less annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by LoyalSons View Post
              Not sure about the 750, but my '81 550 according to the service manual calls for a mixture of SAE 10W/30 motor oil and ATF at a 50 - 50 ratio mix.
              First time I changed fork oil on my gs750ex I used the afr oil mix. Shortly after I went back in to do springs and it was a frothy milkshake mess. No more ATF after that. Pure Virgin fork oil after that.

Comment

I prefer EXTRA virgin fork oil

Comment

Since I haven't felt the dire need to replace mine once I re-sealed the forks and got the proper amount of fluid in them I hadn't done the research. But as several members were quick to correct me, and let me know how I was slapping another member in the face now we all know.
                  Not to worry, I certainly didn't take offense.
                  While I definitely appreciate the support and the kind words for Sonic Springs, I'm mostly here as a GS guy rather than for business reasons. So if you end up with a different brand in your bike that's fine, and I'll still be happy to answer any install or setup questions you have.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                    Not to worry, I certainly didn't take offense.
                    While I definitely appreciate the support and the kind words for Sonic Springs, I'm mostly here as a GS guy rather than for business reasons. So if you end up with a different brand in your bike that's fine, and I'll still be happy to answer any install or setup questions you have.
                    Thanks Rich - certainly wasn't my intent to offend. I'm new here and still learning the "politics" of this board and who provides what. I've ordered from Z1 and cycleorings.com, both of which I would have never learned about had I not join this forum. Now I've learned about your springs, I will be ordering a set a some point and will post an inquiry or even PM you at that point.

As far as the GSR goes, I feel that for the most part people are helpful and just want to learn and share knowledge, which is great. My preference would be to always assist and provide insight, where applicable. I know it must be frustrating for long standing members to answer the same questions repeatedly, but like a recent post I read stated - we were all beginners/newbs at one point right? And we love these bikes, so let's help each other keep them on the road
                    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

As far as the GSR goes, I feel that for the most part people are helpful and just want to learn and share knowledge, which is great. My preference would be to always assist and provide insight, where applicable. I know it must be frustrating for long standing members to answer the same questions repeatedly, but like a recent post I read stated - we were all beginners/newbs at one point right? And we love these bikes, so let's help each other keep them on the road
                      I agree, some members have taken to using the board to hand out demerits and other forms of abuse, not because of "dumb" questions, and not because of laziness to search what has already been posted but as a means to get on a soapbox.

I have had my agenda as well, but it has been to improve the technical awareness of the forum in specific regard to electrical issues. When new posters are abused because they don't seem to be in alignment with other members perspectives, I don't see that is helping anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        ...to improve the technical awareness of the forum in specific regard to electrical issues.
                        You've surely done that!

Comment

...And we love these bikes, so let's help each other keep them on the road
                          Couldn't agree more.
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

You've surely done that!
                            Thanks...........

Comment

I got the Sonic springs and 20w fork oil, don't need no more stinking air. THEY WORK GREAT! Thanks Rich.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                                I got the Sonic springs and 20w fork oil, don't need no more stinking air. THEY WORK GREAT! Thanks Rich.
                                Man that would be nice, I really don't like air shocks. Especially 31 year old air shocks...They are still holding air, but every time I open them up I have to get out the bicycle air pump to pump a measly 3PSI into them!

Which rate did you go for - the .9, the 1.0 or the 1.1 kg/mm?

Comment

Working...
                                X