'83 GS850 GL - New Springs Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS850 GL - New Springs Confusion

My fork seals are leaking - so I bought new seals and of course new Sonic Springs to upgrade my ride...

I have the old forks apart and have the old springs out of the gray goo found inside the forks - and they seem quite a bit longer than my New Sonic Springs..?

Included with the Sonic Springs is a grey PVC pipe that I suppose I am to cut and use as a spacer ? And throw out the old metal spacer?

And do these old springs seem progressively wound / Or do they look OEM to you ??

Any guidance you can offer at this point would be helpful?

Also what size PVC pipe do I need to push/pound down the new seals ?

I have the tutorial downloaded and read thru several times - but this is my first fork seal job and I am learning a lot already...

Like old fork oil smells pretty bad ...

Pictures --

Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Looks like you received G model springs. The GL shock tubes and springs are longer than the G model.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Nuts -- really ? that makes sense ..
      I have sent them an email - (no contact phone on website)
      Dag nab it ... now I am puzzled..
      I may just put the OEM back in..
      The bike rode well enough with those...
      Just replace the seal leak and move onward...

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Those springs are fine. You just need to figure out how much preload to put on them.

I'd start by cutting the PVC spacers so they are exactly flush with the top of the fully extended forks. When you install the top cap there will be about 3/4" of preload on the springs. Install the forks and see how you like them. Some people measure static sag and adjust preload that way which is the proper method. You haven't mentioned how heavy you are or what springs you purchased so I'll leave the project of figuring out how much preload you desire up to you. At any rate, cut some longer spacers if you need to raise the ride height if you cut them too short the first time. It's a trial and error process that depends on your specific application and expectations.
        Last edited by Nessism; 07-25-2014, 10:26 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Those springs are fine. You just need to figure out how much preload to put on them.

I'd start by cutting the PVC spacers so they are exactly flush with the top of the fully extended forks. When you install the top cap there will be about 3/4" of preload on the springs. Install the forks and see how you like them. Some people measure static sag and adjust preload that way which is the proper method. You haven't mentioned how heavy you are or what springs you purchased so I'll leave the project of figuring out how much preload you desire up to you. At any rate, cut some longer spacers if you need to raise the ride height if you cut them too short the first time. It's a trial and error process that depends on your specific application and expectations.
          Okay -- This is GOOD NEWS ..
          I though cutting the spacers to fit would be a good idea..
          I am 300# and order the 1.1 springs.
          I was aiming for the 1/2" to 3/4" pre-load so the idea of cutting them flush agrees with my thoughts on what I needed to do after studying the tutorials and the instructions from Sonic.

Any comments of the longer taken out springs ? OEM or an older Progressive?
          I thought OEM were single rate wound and these appear progressively wound but I have no experience on this matter ???

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

The overall length of the spring is totally irrelevant.

Make spacers using PVC (if you don't have enough PVC to make two, you might need to run to the hardware store) long enough to end up with about 3/4" of preload with the fork caps installed and the forks fully extended. Make the spacers as close to the same length as possible, and make sure they're square.

I usually use a pipe cutter like this one -- it's damn near impossible to get a square end or accurate length with a hacksaw:

My impression is that those look like OEM springs, some of which were progressively wound (some also used two springs stacked to give the same effect). Progressive brand springs usually look shorter, and the coils usually don't look so close together. However, it's hard to tell 100% for sure. In any case, they weren't doing the job for you.
            Last edited by bwringer; 07-25-2014, 12:07 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The OEM springs I took out are progressively wound. My Sonic springs look just like yours, seemed like they were too short. Don't worry, once you get the preload figure out to your liking and the weight of the fork oil. You'll be fine.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Carl, those springs you took out look like OEM. At least, they are exactly like the ones I took out of my son's '82 650L and my wife's '82 850L. The Progressive (brand) springs that replaced both of them were a bit shorter and were wound with thicker wire. As others have suggested, cut a spacer to fit flush with the top of the fully-extended fork tube.

I think you made a good choice on the rate. Hopefully it won't be too much longer and I will be enjoying my 1.1 Sonic springs.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Some people measure static sag and adjust preload that way which is the proper method.
                  If OP measures sag to set his preload amount he should aim to have the laden sag (with him on the bike, wearing his usual riding gear) end up at about 25% of the total fork travel. Unladen sag really means nothing once the spring rates have been chosen, it is laden sag that is important to proper set up and performance of the suspension.

Mark
                  Last edited by mmattockx; 07-25-2014, 02:10 PM.
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Excellent to know that I am on the right path -
                    Thanks to all the respondents - your sharing advice is comforting

I am now ready to finish the job this weekend..

I have my oil, seals, dust covers and special tool (free)

A length of 1/2" threaded rod and 4 nuts correct size were purchased at my local ACE hardware on my Rewards Bonus of $5.00
                    A frequent purchaser program.. the "Tool" was $4.93 - and I had a $5.00 coupon...

Yes ...

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Forks are done ...just need to be reinstalled on the bike tomorrow. ?.Thanks for all the advice. ?.I feel like I got them perfect and ready to ride ...famous last words ...Seat rebuild is nearing completion too ...lots of riding season still in front of me

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                        Forks are done ...just need to be reinstalled on the bike tomorrow. ?.Thanks for all the advice. ?.I feel like I got them perfect and ready to ride ...famous last words ...Seat rebuild is nearing completion too ...lots of riding season still in front of me
                        Awesome, glad you got through it.

And a big thanks to everyone else that chimed in, gonna have to put you all on the Sonic Springs Tech Support Team.
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                          If OP measures sag to set his preload amount he should aim to have the laden sag (with him on the bike, wearing his usual riding gear) end up at about 25% of the total fork travel. Unladen sag really means nothing once the spring rates have been chosen, it is laden sag that is important to proper set up and performance of the suspension.

Mark

True. But you have to start somewhere, and 3/4" preload with these springs is an excellent place to start. In my case, I did not need to adjust from there.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            True. But you have to start somewhere, and 3/4" preload with these springs is an excellent place to start. In my case, I did not need to adjust from there.
                            Yes, I wasn't arguing that. I just wanted to give a sag target for OP to use if he was going to go that route.

Mark
                            1982 GS1100E
                            1998 ZX-6R
                            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmonproperly989
                              Awesome, glad you got through it.

And a big thank to everyone else that chimed in, gonna have to put you all on the Sonic Springs Tech Team.
                              Today was test ride day. What a pleasure it was to ride ...the front has NO dive when braking like before..very predictable . And yet the bumps are soaked up as if nonexistent ...I wish my Goldwing felt the same in the front ...

I have some brake work yet to do but all seems well..

Tech team info ...
                              The pvc sent was too short to make 2 correct size spacers for me ...I added 1 Inch to each side as preload above the fully extended tube . I had some pvc here so I cut my own secondary spacers ...
                              10 weight fork oil was perfect for my application.
                              Also polished and cleaned while I had the front apart ....

To do list ...
                              Get tach working properly.
                              Finish seat rework

Ride

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Working...
                              X