Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS400 Front Brake Caliper Piston Size? And question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS400 Front Brake Caliper Piston Size? And question?

Hey Guys,

I have a question I was I was hoping you could answer-- I recently purchased a replacement M/C brake lever unit with a 14mm piston for my 78' GS400. After purchasing I stumbled upon this http://vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

I believe the stock M/C has a 13mm piston and the stock front caliper in a GS400 has a 38mm piston. If someone could confirm this I would appreciate this because I really can't find a definitive source. If the article is correct and my assumption about the gs400 piston sizes is correct, will my braking be horrible?

And if so can you change the caliper piston size without replacing the caliper?

I'd like to get my ratio to ~12 as mentioned by the author of that link.

Your shop manual will have all the piston sizes you are looking for.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
      Your shop manual will have all the piston sizes you are looking for.

Mark
      The Clymers Manual doesn't give the Piston Sizes for either the M/C or Caliper I just double checked. Unless it's listed somewhere outside the brake section.

Edit: I might have missed something but I just went through the entire manual and didn't find them listed anywhere.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NewRider View Post
        The Clymers Manual doesn't give the Piston Sizes for either the M/C or Caliper I just double checked. Unless it's listed somewhere outside the brake section.

Edit: I might have missed something but I just went through the entire manual and didn't find them listed anywhere.
        around here Clymer doesn't print Manuals. There is a company that does . Names starts with an "S"

Comment

POS I wish I had the Suzuki Manual. When my Dad gave me his GS he no longer had it.... I'll have to check Ebay. In the mean time I'm working with the Clymers from bikecliffs website-- I'm a college student with a tight budget so free is better than $.

Comment

I missed these earlier...

If the article is correct and my assumption about the gs400 piston sizes is correct, will my braking be horrible?
            Your braking effort will go up by a factor of (14/13)^2 = 1.16 or 16% more than before. Whether that is horrible or not I can't say.

And if so can you change the caliper piston size without replacing the caliper?
            Nope, the piston size is part of the caliper body geometry. If you want bigger pistons you would need to find a different caliper.

Bikeclilff's site doesn't have the service manual for your bike?

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Thanks Mark and negative. Bikecliff's only has the Clymers for the GS400

Comment

Working...
              X