Dynabeads ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynabeads ???

Lots of posts about these and I was thinking about using them on my next tire change. Question is do I remove the old weight or will the beads counter act this weight and still do their thing? Whole new science here for me.

Any help is appreciated.

If the weights are helping to counteract imbalance then leave them on. Assuming the weights were installed with a static balance leave them and add he dyna beads.

Comment

They can only correct as much imbalance as the beads themselves weigh, approximately. An old weight may be enough mass in a position that adds to the imbalance of the new tire to overcome the balancing effects of the beads. So, I'd recommend taking the weight off.

Dynabeads' recommendation for the amount of beads to use is probably enough to balance tires and wheels of decent quality. If not, you need to do a rough balance by adding weights to the wheel.

They do work, but for the cost and fuss compared to using weights, the only advantage I see is that they rebalance the wheel every time you get up to speed.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        They can only correct as much imbalance as the beads themselves weigh, approximately. An old weight may be enough mass in a position that adds to the imbalance of the new tire to overcome the balancing effects of the beads. So, I'd recommend taking the weight off.

Dynabeads' recommendation for the amount of beads to use is probably enough to balance tires and wheels of decent quality. If not, you need to do a rough balance by adding weights to the wheel.

They do work, but for the cost and fuss compared to using weights, the only advantage I see is that they rebalance the wheel every time you get up to speed.
        It sounds like in the end you said same as I , if the weights are static balanced leave them on. Another fine detail is that balance is about weight and distance from center of rotation. The weight of Dyna beads is therefore magnified relative to a weight on the rim.
        Further, the dyna bead does things that the weight can't do, rebalance under different conditions.

Comment

How fast are we going here? The static balance method flat out works and is simpler. Why mess with it? Most tires made today are balanced out of the box anyway, just balance the rim with a tire not mounted on it and you are done. Unless you use a tube, that is.
          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Have them balanced on the machine and be done with it is my theory on Dyna beads. If you need external weights ALONG WITH the beads, then why even dick around with the beads in the first place ? Doesnt make much sense to me,.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

When I have used them, successfully, I have removed the weights.

Comment

I have not used the Dyna bead yet on a motorcycle, but they have done well in quelling a front end wobble on my E-350 van. The 265/60-17 tires are large and after putting a pack in each it decrease the wobble by at least 1/2. I did it through the stem so it was a pain, but I have another pack to add to the fronts.

The tires were balanced when new, but after rebuilding the front end (ball joints and rotors) this problem persisted same as before the work.

If the tires are balanced and remain balanced there is nothing for the Dynabeads to do. However, there are people that have reported better tire wear as there is probably a lot of imbalance possible that you don't really notice.

Comment

There is another Dynabeads thread around and I commented in that one. Snake oil to me. People have stories about longer tire life and that is great, but I get great mileage using static balancing.
                  NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                  Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

1, 2, 3, 4, let's start a holy war...

They're a giant pain the ass when changing the tire. Especially when you don't know they're in there.

If you think they work, good for you. Enjoy.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Dynabeads......best thing since sliced bread .
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

A buddy and I have used them a few times on his Kaw. He reports he has never has such a smooth ride. We removed the weights, figuring the weights would work against the beads. He rides long distances a lot and it has worked like a dream for 3 sets of tires.

They sell 2 oz bags you can just throw into the tire while you are changing it you are tubeless but they are pretty pricy. If you are running a tube or buy them in bulk like we did for a much lower cost per tire change, don't buy the bottle. We tried that method and it was a cluster. It took an hour to get the beads in the tire. Go buy a turkey baster from the grocery store and make sure the end is larger than the valve stem. Drill it out so the plastic will screw onto the valve stem. Ican't remember what size we used. Screw the turkey baster onto the valve stem and remove the bulb. Fill it about half way up and push the bulb back on. Pump it a few times and the beads are in the tire. I think it took 30 seconds the last time we put them in one of his tubes. I am not sure if there is a difference in truck tire beads and motorcycle beads other than the size of the bag so make sure the beads(if you buy them in bulk) are the same as the 2 oz bags. My buddy bought them in a much larger bag and we weighed the 2 oz with a postal scale. Then put them in the tire. note that it is easier if your valve stem it curved toward the outside of the rim instead of straight but it will work either way.

Comment

Dyna beads have been tested and proven, tires are balanced from the factory with a white or yellow dot. Line it up with the stem and you are dam close. Technically as soon as you pick a small rock in your tread you are out of balance, with this in mind the dyna beads would be more effective than a stationary weight.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                            Dyna beads have been tested and proven, tires are balanced from the factory with a white or yellow dot. Line it up with the stem and you are dam close. Technically as soon as you pick a small rock in your tread you are out of balance, with this in mind the dyna beads would be more effective than a stationary weight.
                            As obvious as this is, it will take an infinite number of posts on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesp View Post
                              Go buy a turkey baster from the grocery store and make sure the end is larger than the valve stem. Drill it out so the plastic will screw onto the valve stem. Ican't remember what size we used. Screw the turkey baster onto the valve stem and remove the bulb. Fill it about half way up and push the bulb back on. Pump it a few times and the beads are in the tire. I think it took 30 seconds the last time we put them in one of his tubes.
                              I'll be using this method next time - thanks!
                              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                              X