80 gs1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs1000e

I am looking to upgrade the suspension for my gs1000e. Would USD forks and modern brakes be a good route to go for a street ridden back road bike? Or is better front springs, oil, fork brace, race tech emulator and better brake pads with new radial tires good for what I want to do?

Also, after addressing the front end, what should I do to the rear end? If I go to a USD fork, do I need to switch swing arms and go with a bigger tire out back? Or can I make due with stock wheels, brakes and better springs/shocks out back with good modern rubber?

Also what tires do you guys recommend for a back road bike?

Thanks

Steve

First off, you cannot fit radial tires to the stock GS rims, they are far too narrow.

As for the rest, it depends on what you want out of it. If ultimate performance is the goal then changing to new forks with big brakes and wide rims front and rear for radial tires along with quality shocks (quality = $$$) is the way to go. If you want to keep the GS look while optimizing what Suzuki originally built then new fork springs, fork brace, emulators and salty_monk's big brake upgrade are the way to go. New shocks would also compliment this set up as well, along with a new set of quality bias ply tires.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

By the time you add up how much money you are gonna spend on this, you might want seriously consider a newer bike. A good used FZ1 can be had for around 5 grand and it will blow you away.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

It's more just as a fun project. I want a cafe 1000 style bike that runs and handles well for its age.

Comment

Understood. I wasn't sure of what you were after. The GS can be improved upon considerably with an 1100 model arm, or something wider, some Penskes, and the GSXR front end. If you fit wider wheels, you can run the radials and get better grip. The frame seems to be up to the task. I am keeping mine stock for the nostalgia factor.
          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I'd do cartridge emulators and a brace up front and either Race Techs or Works Performance shocks/springs at the rear. Just keeping the rubber on the road will make a big difference in the handling. When I was much younger I would drag the pegs on my 1000ST without much effort. All I did was replace the stock shocks with Konis, change the fork fluid with 15W Bel-Ray and install a Telefix fork brace. Yes, I ran stock fork springs and 15PSI. For tires it was Pirelli Phantoms until they quit making them and then it was Metzler ME77 100/90V19 and Metzler ME99 120/90V18; there are still some good tires available for stock wheels. The bike will probably not meet its limit before you meet the limit of your ability to push it.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

You can also go with Sonic fork springs I used the 95 klg spring rate, fork brace mine is a Tarozzi, 15 or 20 w fork oil and the cartridge emulators and forget about the air pressure in the forks. Doing that, a good set of SS braided brake lines would be a worth while investment as well. For the rear a good quality shock and spring combination from Progressive, Race tech or someone else would be wise. Converting your steel tube swing arm to a 80-81 1100E alloy arm is good too, it's stiffer and lighter then the steel one. Don't forget to service your steering head bearings and swing arm bearings as well, they are sooooo often over looked.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Nobody ever seems to mention this, but the most important part to upgrade is yourself. Take a class and learn to ride.

Upgrade the stock suspension and brakes, spoon on some sticky Avons or Pirellis in the proper stock sizes, and you'll be shocked at how well a GS can handle. Plus, you'll learn a thing or three along the way that will be valuable if you decide to go ahead with the modern forks and wheels.

One of the biggest mistakes you see over and over with fork upgrades is installing short modern sportbike forks with 17" wheels. So you end up with a groovy fork, but you've severely compromised your cornering clearance and altered the steering geometry. Choose your upgrades wisely.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Nobody ever seems to mention this, but the most important part to upgrade is yourself. Take a class and learn to ride.

Upgrade the stock suspension and brakes, spoon on some sticky Avons or Pirellis in the proper stock sizes, and you'll be shocked at how well a GS can handle. Plus, you'll learn a thing or three along the way that will be valuable if you decide to go ahead with the modern forks and wheels.

One of the biggest mistakes you see over and over with fork upgrades is installing short modern sportbike forks with 17" wheels. So you end up with a groovy fork, but you've severely compromised your cornering clearance and altered the steering geometry. Choose your upgrades wisely.
                  Completely agree.

Comment

I'm enjoying my new Pirelli "Sport Demons" (and RaceTech .90 fork springs).
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                    X