fork caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork caps

I'm trying to remove my air valves off the top of my 850, so I can lower front a little more. I have fairly new progressive springs so don't use air. Anyone know of any non air caps from some other model would fit, or anything else that would work? Did a search but couldn't find anything. terrylee

You can just vent your caps and leave them as-is and accomplish the same result as using conventional fork caps. Make certain that you have the front wheel off the ground at full extension.

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
      I'm trying to remove my air valves off the top of my 850, so I can lower front a little more.
      How is removing the air valves going to lower the front end?

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post

Mark
        removing the valve from the top allows you to slide the forks up further in the trees by 1/2" or so. Thus lowering the front end
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post

Mark
          It won't lower the front end. I didn't see that in the post. I just thought he didn't want to use air assist.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            removing the valve from the top allows you to slide the forks up further in the trees by 1/2" or so. Thus lowering the front end
            Ah, ok. It is an external clearance issue, not an internal one.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Not sure what you mean by just venting, I have to have cap to screw in to hold springs. The air valve is part of the cap so can't just remove that. What they said, just trying to get forks up in triple tree a little more so then I should be flat footed. Already shaved seat, shorter shocks, went down one inch with rear wheel size and raised forks as much as I could in triple tree. terrylee

Comment

drill out the air valve, rethread it and screw a bolt in there. use loctite sealer and a countersunk head bolt so its flush with the top.
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The 1983 GS850G and 1983 1100G used air passages lower down on the forks, so they had solid fork caps. You could try and scare up a pair of those. The GL models and earlier models used valves on the forks.

Shop online for OEM Front Fork (Model D) parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS850G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Listed as NLA, unfortunately.

Here's a photo I had lying around -- this is from the days before straight-rate springs, so I had to run monster preload with Progressive springs to get sag in the ballpark.

I've never managed to determine firsthand whether the preload adjuster caps from an '83 1100E would fit an 850's forks...
                  Shop online for OEM Front Damper (Gs1100ed) parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS1100E, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
                  Last edited by bwringer; 09-03-2014, 11:54 PM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks Brian, will post in wanted section and check ebay. terrylee

Comment

Take the air valves out and get a pair of metric hex head lock screws. Apply some sealant on the threads and set them flush with the top of the hole.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I believe the problem is not sealing the holes from the air valves; the problem is that the caps themselves stick up quite a bit (each air valve is threaded into a sort of "hump" in the cap).

The OP is trying to lower a bike a bit by pulling the forks up in the clamps, and the caps hit the handlebar before they move very far.

Since the '83 fork caps are going to be so rare, you might also consider installing a set of handlebar risers or setbacks to move the handlebar out of the way. This might also make the handlebars a bit closer and more comfortable as well, depending on the personal geometry of the rider.

Maybe something like this?

Or this?
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          I believe the problem is not sealing the holes from the air valves; the problem is that the caps themselves stick up quite a bit (each air valve is threaded into a sort of "hump" in the cap).

The OP is trying to lower a bike a bit by pulling the forks up in the clamps, and the caps hit the handlebar before they move very far.

Since the '83 fork caps are going to be so rare, you might also consider installing a set of handlebar risers or setbacks to move the handlebar out of the way. This might also make the handlebars a bit closer and more comfortable as well, depending on the personal geometry of the rider.

Maybe something like this?

Or this?
                          Good thinking, and the OP can use a flatter bar to get back to the original riding position if so desired.
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Thanks again Brian thought about something like that, will check into them since looks like no one has flat top caps. Your right about what I'm trying to achieve. terrylee

Comment

Not sure but the uk model caps might suit you http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs850-19.../#.VBMTbHVdUWM

These are the only ones I could find online.

Comment

Working...
                              X