No announcement yet.

Rotor swapping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gs "1000" rotors have a different offset, the 77's and 78's for sure, they don't even fit on an 850 or 1100. I have a bunch of gs1000 rotors if anyone is really looking for those.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
      The surface where the pads squeeze are machined to ensure a flat surface, but I'm not to sure on the stainless part. I've see rusty rotors before. Then again I've also seen items that were stamped stainless steel rust also. Feel both sides of tie areas of the rotor that hasn't been machined and you should feel a sharp edge on one side and rounded edges on the other. An indication of it being stamped.
      The rotors are SS. And stainless steel will rust just as it will be drawn by magnetism. It all depends on its grade. They are not stamped. I'd like to see a machine capable of stamping 6mm thick stainless steel.

Comment

The only benefit to a drilled rotor is weight reduction, and has nothing to do with stopping or cooling.
        Absolutely not. Done properly cross drilling increases surface area, helps keep the pad surfaces cleaner and definitely improves stopping performance.

The technology used on modern high performance sport bikes, make our brakes look like only a few steps above dragging our feet or pressing a board against the tire tread.
        It certainly feels that way, too. My GSXR has one finger brakes on the track while the 1100E has 5 finger death grip brakes everywhere.

but I'm not to sure on the stainless part. I've see rusty rotors before.
        OEM rotors are all stainless steel, except for possibly some cast iron rotors on high end Ducati's and similar. While stainless rotors will develop a light surface film of rust when really wet, cast iron rotors turn orange if you even look at them crossly. They also offer a higher coefficient of friction than stainless and are generally superior in every facet of performance aside from the rusting issue.

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
        The rotors are SS. And stainless steel will rust just as it will be drawn by magnetism. It all depends on its grade.
        And this is the key. People say "stainless steel" like there is only one type made, when in reality there are hundreds of grades available. The austenitic stainless steels are the ones that are not magnetic, due to their crystal structure. There are many other types that are magnetic and will rust due the higher carbon and iron contents required for higher strength levels.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
        X