Fork seals OE or aftermarket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork seals OE or aftermarket

I need to replace my fork seals on my 82 GS650E and wonder if I should use OE Suzuki seals or aftermarket. Not looking to save money, looking for the best ones. If aftermarket are better is there a brand you recommend?

Ive used both and havent had any problems with either. K&L are good.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I was just logging on with the same question I am also curious what's available for good dust boots other than OEM.

Z1 has for seals (K&S) for a little over $7/pair. I also saw Bikemaster and All Balls (and negative comments about Pyramid).

Comment

For dust boots I think I am going to use these. http://www.mikesxs.net/product/27-1095.html

Comment

After market are not a problem at all. Just make very sure that the forks are not pitted with rust on the slide area. That's what eats up seals.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

And do not gouge the rims of the seal seats when you pry the old ones out. Gouges will make them leak around the outer edges of the fork tubes.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

There are kits on Ebay that have the seals and dust boots all in one kit.

Comment

I've had problems with aftermarket seals. Never a problem with OEM seals. The dust boots don't really matter.

That said, the OEM seals are made by NOK, so if there's an aftermarket vendor selling NOK seals, they're very likely the same thing.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice, I am going to go OE.

Comment

One little trick I found that works great at getting those old seals out is to use a propane torch and heat up the seal till it just start to melt. Take a large flat blade screw driver and hook it under the seal and pry it up using the opposite side of the fork tube as a fulcrum. Give it a little pop and out she comes. Just make sure the screwdriver is not scraping the inside of the fork tube. Remember to remove the inside clip that holds the seal in place before you try to remove the seal.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Replace Fork Seals/Boots

I have to replace the fork seals and will go with OEM. Thanks for the tid-bits of info on the dust boots. Mine came off easy (when I measured the distance for my fork stabilizer) but I will likely replace them.

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Ive used both and havent had any problems with either. K&L are good.
                        X2 I have been using parts unlimited brand with good success last couple years.
                        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

How'd those fork gaiters turn out? Contemplating a set myself. Would love to see a pic of the final product.

Anyone know if these would be long enough for an 81 750E?

Comment

Originally posted by 180gramvinyl View Post
                            How'd those fork gaiters turn out? Contemplating a set myself. Would love to see a pic of the final product.

Anyone know if these would be long enough for an 81 750E?
                            I haven't done the job yet. Still collecting parts and wating for wormer weather, its 19f now.

Comment

NEVER use BikeMaster seals (or tire inner tubes). OEM Suzuki & AllBalls, no problems there, top quality. BM tubes need aired up every 12-15 days, even with new valve cores swapped, 10-30 year old tubes I have held pressure drastically longer.

I'm curious about an alternate to the OEM dust boots, as Suzuki charges double what the seals sell for if I recall correctly. MikesXS.com for 35mm fork seals that fit Suzuki???
                              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                              X