Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you adjust your stem bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you adjust your stem bearings?

I've adjusted mine on the GK, twice in the last year, & I just noticed that the fork is turning very freely again, wirh the bike up on the centerstand. So, I'm about to do it again. This looks like a twice a year thing.
    However, I am careful not to over tighten them. Maybe, I need to go a little tighter on my adjustments?
    Previously, i had a big Yamaha Venture tourer, & they did need the stem adjusted that often. So, is it a common adjustment on the bigger gs' s too?

so far never in 32 years

Comment

I have found an adjustment or two necessary after changing the bearings, but that's all.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Captain Obvious says that it "sounds like the bearings are not stable"................... Probably time to give them a swap out.

Comment

Adjusted them today.
          Only needed to snug them up about an eigth of a turn, to get any looseness out. So, I am hoping that these last two adjustments were just a final set, after that first big adjustment that they needed.
          If they loosen again, it'll definetly be time for new bearings!

Comment

I adjust mine with every set of tires. Feels so good with new tires. I like em snug,and it is easy to get a good feel for them when the wheels are off.It is also easier to feel if they are dimpled and in need of replacement. To snug and the bike will wander back and forth as they are sticking.
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Captain Obvious says that it "sounds like the bearings are not stable"................... Probably time to give them a swap out.
              That's helpful Mr. Obvious.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryJ View Post
                Adjusted them today.
                Only needed to snug them up about an eigth of a turn, to get any looseness out. So, I am hoping that these last two adjustments were just a final set, after that first big adjustment that they needed.
                If they loosen again, it'll definetly be time for new bearings!
                I'm not sure of all the swaps but you can swap out for tapered bearing a if you don't have them already.

all balls make good bearings and you can find them on eBay.
                Last edited by posplayr; 05-20-2015, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I have found an adjustment or two necessary after changing the bearings, but that's all.

Same here. And we're probably both talking about tapered bearings. Install, possibly adjust once or twice after a little bit of riding, and you're done.

To answer the question, adjustment is not a regular maintenance item. But steering stem bearings should be greased every few years if the bike sees a lot of weather.

If you're talking about the crappy stock ball bearings, then they're just plain defective from the factory. You can't adjust them to work right, so just replace ASAP with proper tapered bearings.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Well, the OP's GK should already have tapered rollers, shouldn't it? It sounds to me like somebody changed the bearings at some point in the past and didn't get them fully seated in the frame or on the stem. They keep moving closer to seated, and won't stop until they get there. If they were simply bad, adjusting them again shouldn't bring them back to smooth, snug operation.

I don't know why a Venture would need that adjustment, unless the manufacturer wasn't sure the adjusting nut would stay locked.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

CMIIW (correct me if Im wrong)...

When you tighten the stem nut you are moving the top and bottom fork trees closer together. In order to allow the trees to move closer together you should loosen one set of fork pinch bolts.

Discuss.......
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                        In order to allow the trees to move closer together you should loosen one set of fork pinch bolts.
                        And the one in the center of the upper triple, the one that clamps the stem.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                          CMIIW (correct me if Im wrong)...

When you tighten the stem nut you are moving the top and bottom fork trees closer together. In order to allow the trees to move closer together you should loosen one set of fork pinch bolts.

Discuss.......
                          Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          And the one in the center of the upper triple, the one that clamps the stem.

Yep. It seems obvious to me, but perhaps it isn't to everyone.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                          X