Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100G suspension upgrades…recommeded parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G suspension upgrades…recommeded parts?

OK, I've been having a hard time finding recommendations for GS1100G suspension parts in the old posts. Seems the info is scattered around here and there, but not compiled. Some is kinda old.

How about some new rear shocks?
    Fork springs-that don't require air pressure. Really hard to accurately get the recommended air pressure in there, because it's so low.

I see Progressive fork springs and rear shocks at Bikebandit, would they be a good choice?
    Have I heard the Progressive fork springs eliminate the need for the air pressurization, true?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-17-2015, 05:47 PM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    OK, I've been having a hard time finding recommendations for GS1100G suspension parts in the old posts. Seems the info is scattered around here and there, but not compiled. Some is kinda old.

How about some new rear shocks?
    Fork springs-that don't require air pressure. Really hard to accurately get the recommended air pressure in there, because it's so low.

I see Progressive fork springs and rear shocks at Bikebandit, would they be a good choice?
    Have I heard the Progressive fork springs eliminate the need for the air pressurization, true?
    Thanks.
    I used racetech fork springs long with emulators and a fork brace. Really a surprising improvement in stability and quality of the fork performance. Along with the SS brake lines its really a nice ride. Still a 35 y/o bike, but very nice. No need for air if the spring is closer to the 'correct' rate. To me air is a crutch when it comes to suspension. But that's just my 2c.

I used Progressive shocks with their HD springs. Pretty good. I'd have to say though that if I was doing it again, or replacing the shocks, I'd spend a few more bucks and get a better shock. The spring is pretty close to a good rate but the rebound damping is a bit low for the HD spring. But, for the money they are not bad at all.

Please post what you decide and your impressions. Its good to get actual feed back about specific mods.

Comment

Have you looked at the Hagons for the rear? Z1 is selling them now or you can still go to Dave Quinn Motorcycles.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I looked at the Hogans shocks, but they don't mench the 1100G.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

The Sonic fork springs owner is a member here. Show a bro some love. They are awesome springs regardless.

Progressive shocks are tried and true. Amazon has good prices on them. Hagon's should be fine too. I use the term "should be" because there is some question about the out of the box damping and typical recommended spring rates. You might want to do some homework before ordering if you decide to pull the trigger.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

We have Progressive fork springs in 3 of the 4 GSes here (not mine). Nice to not need to add air. I have Sonic Springs in my 850 and really enjoy the difference. I like Sonic's rationale on straight-rate springs: the air that is trapped inside the fork leg is a progressive spring as it is compressed. With progressive-rate fork springs, you have two different rates of compression, which can make things "interesting". With straight-rate springs, there is only one progression rate (the air). The front of my bike has never felt so good.

On the rear of our bikes, my son's 1000G has the cheapo MDI shocks (about $100). I think they are actually overload shocks for a one-ton pickup, but he has an enhanced gravitational attraction and says they do ride a bit firm, but acceptable. When he is carrying a passenger, it is much better. My other son's 650L has some stock-ish shocks (but are longer than 650L shocks) that do OK. My wife's bike is wearing a pair of Hagons that we got from Dave Quinn. Call him to order them, he will ask about your weight and riding style to make sure you get the right parts, and he will assemble them before shipping. My bike has a set of vintage KONIs that are doing just fine. Might need to rebuild them by the end of summer, but they feel fine right now.

For the front, Progressive and Sonic are both in the $80-85 range. I don't know about the Race Tech springs that were mentioned.

For the rear, you definitely get a better ride as you spend more money. The $100 MDIs are SUPER stiff. The $200 Hagons are much better. The $300 Progressives are not that much better than the Hagons, in my book. Other brands can certainly cost more and might give a bit better handling advantage, but the Hagons or Progressives will be a good step in the right direction, and at an affordable price.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, looking on Amazon I found a very nice suspension air pump, by Progressive. Seems like just the thing for the forks.

For rear shocks they recommended Progressives without springs-(sold separately). So right away I'm wondering if I can use the old Suzuki springs with the Progressive shocks?

The Emgo shocks, well I have some of their other stuff on my bikes, like mirrors. Their schtick seems to be; "Ours look just like the real thing!", but made cheap.

Comment

Well, looking on Amazon I found a very nice suspension air pump, by Progressive. Seems like just the thing for the forks.
                I have not seen that pump, it's probably a good thing, but you STILL have to fiddle with setting air pressure all the time. For just a bit more money, replace the springs and NEVER worry about your air pressure again.

For rear shocks they recommended Progressives without springs-(sold separately). So right away I'm wondering if I can use the old Suzuki springs with the Progressive shocks?
                Not sure how easy it is to remove the stock springs. What is the rate on those (stock) springs? Is it proper? Why not just spend a little more money and get springs that you KNOW will have the proper rate. Or, ... for about the same money as the Progressive shocks (with no springs), get a set of Hagons WITH springs.

The Emgo shocks, well I have some of their other stuff on my bikes, like mirrors. Their schtick seems to be; "Ours look just like the real thing!", but made cheap.
                Yes, they may LOOK like the "real thing", but there is a reason they are cheap. My personal experience with them is that they don't feel comfortable until you have over 400 pounds of people and/or luggage pushing down on them. If you meet that description, go for it. But, like the other choices, just a little more money will get you a LOT more. Break open the wallet, break out the cash or the credit card, get some stuff that will work.

You have spent the time to come here and ask for opinions and advice. If you choose not to accept it, well ...

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks Steve, needed somebody to bounce ideas off of.
                  About fitting the old Suzuki springs on the Progressive shocks, the question is; will they fit?
                  They were designed for the 1100G, so yes they have the right spring rate.
                  Looks like they have a retainer disc that slips out when the spring is compressed with a tool.
                  Seems I need to buy the tool if I buy springs and shocks separately.
                  Looks like buying shocks with springs mounted makes sense to me.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-17-2015, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I don't think there's a good way to get the old springs off of the Suzuki shocks; and I'm with Steve on that one even if you could. Can't be sure they'd sit correctly, anyway. My 14-series Progressive shocks were less than $200 with springs, IIRC. Though you might need something a little beefier with an 1100: 12 series are generally recommended. I had Emgo's for a while and they were stiff as could be, though they did soften up after quite a bit of riding; still stiff but almost livable. I mean it was better than the stockers, but a bit too far in the other direction. The included eyelet bushings were horrible and you're better off to re-use the stock ones.

Comment

Thanks Steve, needed somebody to bounce ideas off of.
                      About fitting the old Suzuki springs on the Progressive shocks, the question is; will they fit?
                      They were designed for the 1100G, so yes they have the right spring rate.
                      Looks like they have a retainer disc that slips out when the spring is compressed with a tool.
                      Seems I need to buy the tool if I buy springs and shocks separately.
                      Looks like buying shocks with springs mounted makes sense to me.
                      Proper spring rate is a function of rider weight as well as the bike weight.

Comment

About fitting my Suzuki springs on the Progressive shocks is; will they fit.
                        Sorry, I don't have a clue there. I don't have any Progressive shocks around to measure.

Progressive series 12 dampers are $203.52.
                        Progressive series 12 springs are $76.95 for black or $92.95 for chrome.
                        Progressive series 412 shocks (complete units) start at $299.95.

Hagon shocks from Dave Quinn Motorcycles start at $214, and that is for complete units, custom-specified for YOU.

OK, I have now made your shopping easier, just click the links and break out your wallet.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

You could do the old "poor man's progressives" up front: cut a couple inches off of the stock springs, add spacers with pre-load to suit, and eschew the air.

Few $$$ spent up front leaves more for the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                            You could do the old "poor man's progressives" up front: cut a couple inches off of the stock springs, add spacers with pre-load to suit, and eschew the air.

Few $$$ spent up front leaves more for the rear.
                            I like your suggestion, but I don't get cutting some off the springs? Why not just add a spacer?

Comment

Adding a spacer only compresses the lighter portion of the springs more, and can lead to mechanical binding. Cutting off the lighter section of the spring leaves only the stiffer section, which is more like what the newer, BETTER springs start with. The spacer is necessary to compensate for the cut-off portion.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X