Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100G suspension upgrades…recommeded parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, after 1 month, the Sonic Springs came in.
    I installed them today and took a half hour joy ride on some very bumpy roads and a high speed off ramp with a hard right, fast left and a long fast right.
    I just installed them (.95) with the recommended preload, gives a 1/2" static sag on the front, just by eyeball no measuring yet.
    Just fine on bumpy roads, more like a sport bike, but I used to pump up the OEM shocks, so not a big diff to me, 'cept I don't have to do those impossible PSI estimates with left to right PSI balance.
    On the high speed off ramp, well it ain't equal to my 1990 GSX750F, because it still had a funky wobble where the end of the ramp meets the highway. The GSX750F just glides right over that faster and with more lean.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Is that funky wobble in hard corners a classic shaft drive thing?
      I think you'd have to compare similar GS bikes to say so.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

No, that's just the frame, suspension, and tires not being able to cope with being upset in the curve. A 90 gixxer is quite a bit more advanced than an 1100G. Not that your suspension can't be upgraded to do much better. It's just that the requisite investment is inversely proportional to your sanity.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yeah, must be just the old design, plus it's almost the heaviest GS.
          My rear tire is in it's last season too, getting flat in the middle. I can hear the tire sound change when I lean in a corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            Yeah, must be just the old design, plus it's almost the heaviest GS.
            My rear tire is in it's last season too, getting flat in the middle. I can hear the tire sound change when I lean in a corner.
            Worn tires are probably the number one cause of handling issues in corners. Some tires wear better than others. I threw away a set of Bridgestone Spitfires that were only 50% worn, because they were causing my 1000G to pitch in hard when leaned over and trying to hold a line as they transitioned from the the center to the edge of the tire. I put on new Michelin Pilot Activ tires, and it was like I had a new bike.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I had Spitfires one bike, an XJ550 Seca, maybe another. The front tires have a V shape to them so they probably would dive in.
              They scared me, hard rubber with not much bite, but I was selling that bike anyway
              Just before I read your post I ordered a new Shinko 712 rear tire. Got 5000mi out of the old tire and it was real sticky.

Comment

I had Spitfires one bike, an XJ550 Seca, maybe another. The front tires have a V shape to them so they probably would dive in.
                They scared me, hard rubber with not much bite, but I was selling that bike anyway
                Just before I read your post I ordered a new Shinko 712 rear tire. Got 5000mi out of the old tire and it was real sticky.
                I have a set of 712s on my 650E. Like them real well.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

OK, after 1 month, the Sonic Springs came in.
                  I installed them today and took a half hour joy ride on some very bumpy roads and a high speed off ramp with a hard right, fast left and a long fast right.
                  I just installed them (.95) with the recommended preload, gives a 1/2" static sag on the front, just by eyeball no measuring yet.
                  Just fine on bumpy roads, more like a sport bike, but I used to pump up the OEM shocks, so not a big diff to me, 'cept I don't have to do those impossible PSI estimates with left to right PSI balance.
                  On the high speed off ramp, well it ain't equal to my 1990 GSX750F, because it still had a funky wobble where the end of the ramp meets the highway. The GSX750F just glides right over that faster and with more lean.
                  Not sure why all your posts are coming out with teensy tiny text...

Anyway, static sag should be more like 1" to 1.3", not 1/2". Total travel of GS forks (and most streetbikes, for that matter) is about 4". (If you prefer metric, then with about 100mm of travel, you should have 25-33mm static sag.)

The usual rule of thumb is that static sag should be set to about 1/4 to 1/3 total travel, according to taste. (1/4 of travel gives a firmer ride, 1/3 of travel more comfort).
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Teensy tiny text?
                    On my end it's kinda big, but everybody else has smallish text. I been selecting text size #1 or #2. This post I'll go with default setting.
                    I haven't taken a real measurement of the sag since I installed the new springs and shocks. I only have about 2 hours riding time on the new springs, maybe them and the spacers will compact a bit.
                    I followed the instructions for 1/2" preload on the fork springs.

Comment

...I followed the instructions for 1/2" preload on the fork springs.
                      That should give you close to 35mm of total sag, which is good.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                        Worn tires are probably the number one cause of handling issues in corners. Some tires wear better than others. I threw away a set of Bridgestone Spitfires that were only 50% worn, because they were causing my 1000G to pitch in hard when leaned over and trying to hold a line as they transitioned from the the center to the edge of the tire. I put on new Michelin Pilot Activ tires, and it was like I had a new bike.
                        Yep, worn tires are a big cause of weave/wobble. Problems with the rear suspension are another, lack of damping in shock(s) and/or worn swingarm bearings.
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Teensy tiny text?
                          I've noticed the small text as well. This post is more better.
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Well, Tried to do as best of a front end sag test as I could, but with nobody to help steady the bike I can't take both feet up and rest them on the pegs, plus I had no gear on. The result was only 20mm front sag.
                            I'll work on a way to steady the bike with my feet up. Some kind of horizontal bar or 2x4 clamped to my work bench I can hold on to.
                            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-24-2015, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Fasten a tie-wrap around the fork stanchion and park your ass on the bike.
                              Measure the movement when you get off.
                              Similar with the rear, if the damper rod is exposed and you have small tie-wraps.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I dunno grimly, yah have to bounce the bike a bit to be sure it's settled down to it's lowest point before measuring it.
                                Anyway, I found an easy way, just park next to something solid to steady yourself as you settle the bike and put your feet up.
                                Have a stick propped against the front turn signal and mark it before you sit down, then after you settle your weight on the bike.
                                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-24-2015, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X