Getting old fork seals out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting old fork seals out?

So after some YouTube videos, a few trips to the hardware store, and a stiff drink to settle my nerves, I finally set about the task of changing the fork seals on my 77 gs750.

Things were going according to plan and I was feeling pretty good about my burgeoning mechanical skills when I got to the point of separating the upper and lower forks. Based on what I had seen, I expected that when I pulled the upper fork out, it would have a lower bushing attached that would force the upper bushing and the seal out of the lower fork. But instead of finding my bushings and seal skewered like a kabob before me, the upper fork slid out smoothly. The seal and the "upper" bushing are still in the lower fork and they seem intent on staying there.

So what am I missing here? Does my model not have a bushing on the bottom of the upper fork? And if not, how do I get the old seal out? I've tried prying and pulling it with a screwdriver and pliers, but I'm reluctant to crank on it too much for fear of damaging something?

Any relevant info would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2015, 11:27 AM.

Is there a retaining ring that you might not have taken out ?

this will help, not same bike but most are the same way

Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

forgot the pic

Comment

picture not working

Comment

The lower fork and seal
          Attached Files

Comment

The upper fork
            Attached Files

Comment

And just for good measure, the rest of the innards.
              Attached Files

Comment

so you need a fork seal removal tool, or you just keep at it with what ever you have and what ever you can use to pry it out, it's in there good so it will take some force to get it out, it's not going to just slip out

this is more or less the order on most bikes

you can make your own tool as well

Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2015, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Some earlier model bikes did not have a lower bushing. Don't know specifically about the 77 GS, but don't panic. Look up a parts fiche for your fork. You can find one here: partsfish.com
                  1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                  sigpic
                  My GS550 Build

Comment

Don't need any "SPECIAL" tools. Just heat the top rim of the lower with a torch and watch the seals edge..it will start to bubble the oil around it. Heat it all the way around and then use a thick flat screw driver to pop them out. Hook just under the inner rim of the seal and lever off the rim of the fork lower..done and done.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Don't need any "SPECIAL" tools. Just heat the top rim of the lower with a torch and watch the seals edge..it will start to bubble the oil around it. Heat it all the way around and then use a thick flat screw driver to pop them out. Hook just under the inner rim of the seal and lever off the rim of the fork lower..done and done.
                      And burn off the clearcoat or paint. A seal puller is not really a "special" tool, it is a tool for pulling seals. It's like $10-15 max, it makes life easier, not to mention it is the right tool for the job!

Personally, if you were working on my bike and heated the lower tube with a torch like you described.......you would be a very unhappy mechanic when I was finished with you!

Here you are talking about working at a bike shop as a new job, is that how you would do it there??

WOW!
                      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Only 10 bucks at Canadian Tire probably cheaper or the same at harbor freight

7 bucks at harbor freight

Comment

Wont burn anything off the top under where the dust boot fits over the rim ( where there isn't any clear coat by the way ) and your not getting it red hot for Christ sakes!!! Use some common sense. And yeah thats how I do it all the time and dont cause any damage . Until you have some experience and an actual working knowledge keep the snarky bullchit to yourself.
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

And for the informational purposes of the heat.... See after 20 years the rubber seals itself super tightly to the tubes. And even with the fancy tools and all the force in the world , they sometimes just refuse to budge. Keep stuffing the tool in..AND OFTEN TOO FAR AT THAT ... and youll dig up the seals seating surfaces and ruin the tube. Heat softens the rubber and lets some of the oil on top of the seals seep in and lube it for some exceptionally EASY removal WITHOUT damage to the seats or the clear ( IF there is even any left on an old fork tube ).Wanna challenge me to a wrench off?? Any day brother..bring it on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Wont burn anything off the top under where the dust boot fits over the rim ( where there isn't any clear coat by the way ) and your not getting it red hot for Christ sakes!!! Use some common sense. And yeah thats how I do it all the time and dont cause any damage . Until you have some experience and an actual working knowledge keep the snarky bullchit to yourself.
                              Grow the **** up chucky! You know absolutely nothing about me and my experience or my qualifications. Do you actually have a registered trade in anything mechanical, I mean certifications? Sure real life experience counts, but if you do not have any standards then you are basically dangerous. PERIOD! One of things about having standards means you know how to use tools correctly.

I just looked in my factory service manual, and Haynes manual......nope....nothing about a torch there.

You on the other hand keep giving advice, some of it good and give you credit, some of it bad, as was displayed here.

Rock on dude. You are where you are in life for a reason......
                              Last edited by Fjbj40; 06-12-2015, 01:26 PM.
                              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                              X