Rear Wheel Removal - Final Drive Unit - Hub/Spine Greasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Wheel Removal - Final Drive Unit - Hub/Spine Greasing

Here are some photos of my exposed final drive unit, hub & spline. Also included the photos of the spline on the wheel Is it just me or does it look kinda dry in there? Notice any damage?

Need to grease for sure. Is Honda Moly 60 still the way to go?

I definitely want to clean out that wheel hub area and inspect the teeth, what should I spray in there?

Anything else I should disassemble and inspect? Bearings?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2015, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Those splines look good.

Yes to the Honda Moly 60. Accept no substitutes! I got my tube from Amazon, not sure it's sold there any more: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1000_.jpg

I'd tend toward brake cleaner except you don't want to mess up that seal. Maybe Simple Green and a rag wrapped around a popsicle stick?

You can't disassemble the bearings but you can check them. They should rotate very smoothly with little effort and no play.

Now might be a good time to check swingarm bearings too but I've never done that myself so I'm not qualified to explain how.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll avoid any cleaners that may damage the seal.

Honda Moly 60 I'll try to pick up locally.

Originally posted by eil View Post
        Those splines look good.

Yes to the Honda Moly 60. Accept no substitutes! I got my tube from Amazon, not sure it's sold there any more: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1000_.jpg

I'd tend toward brake cleaner except you don't want to mess up that seal. Maybe Simple Green and a rag wrapped around a popsicle stick?

You can't disassemble the bearings but you can check them. They should rotate very smoothly with little effort and no play.

Now might be a good time to check swingarm bearings too but I've never done that myself so I'm not qualified to explain how.

Comment

I think a stiff round parts washer brush and some diesel would clean it up pretty easily.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

There is some wear visible in the 2nd to last image. It's tricky to spot while installed on the wheel, since the face of the spline always looks undamaged. I wouldn't recommend degreasing it to get a better view, since you may end up degreasing the bearings too. Look past the face of the pline, or feel past it with a pick or piece of bent wire. You'll find a significant portion of the tooth is gone. A fresh one (or one from a year that doesn't wear out) will have the same profile the whole length of a tooth. The '82 bikes have the spline that will eventually wear out and fail, lube or no. If that one has 82K on it, it's doing very well. Bwringer, the resident expert on this topic (and many others), says they usually fail before 50K, IIRC.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Agreed -- I'm about 95% sure that driven spline (the one in the wheel) is toast. Can't really see in these pics, but you can see that the teeth are pretty worn. Once they start to wear, they deteriorate quickly from there.

Take it out and take a better look.

The teeth on the drive spline (the one on the bike's final drive) are somewhat damaged but I've seen worse. You'll be fine with a new driven spline in the wheel and a thin coat of moly paste on both.

It's very hard to judge color balance in digital photos, but it does look like your bike is wearing one of the "soft" gold splines found in 82-84 shafties. The new part is more of a silver color and has a smoother finish. The new driven spline (Suzuki calls it "JOINT ASSY DRIVEN") is still in production and used on Suzuki's Boulevard C50 cruiser, so it's easiest to just order a new one from your favorite source for Suzuki bits.

You can also haunt fleaBay for a rear wheel and/or driven spline from any 1990+ Suzuki shaftie 800-1200cc -- Intruder, C50, GSX1100G, VX800, Madura, etc. Obviously that takes longer, and shipping a rear wheel is crazy expensive (although sellers are sometimes willing to remove the spline and hardware and just send that to you).

$140, but it'll basically be bulletproof from now on:

It's also worth replacing the lock washers and thrust plates, or at least flipping the old ones over and using a dab of moly paste on them.

And make sure you reinstall the bolts with Loctite. Even with the lock washers, they can back out without Loctite.
              Last edited by bwringer; 07-02-2015, 10:09 AM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Well that sucks. I'll take a closer look tomorrow at the actual ridges on the wheel side spline and see the damage. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll check it out and post results of looking closer....

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Agreed -- I'm about 95% sure that driven spline (the one in the wheel) is toast. Can't really see in these pics, but you can see that the teeth are pretty worn. Once they start to wear, they deteriorate quickly from there.

Take it out and take a better look.

The teeth on the drive spline (the one on the bike's final drive) are somewhat damaged but I've seen worse. You'll be fine with a new driven spline in the wheel and a thin coat of moly paste on both.

It's very hard to judge color balance in digital photos, but it does look like your bike is wearing one of the "soft" gold splines found in 82-84 shafties. The new part is more of a silver color and has a smoother finish. The new driven spline (Suzuki calls it "JOINT ASSY DRIVEN") is still in production and used on Suzuki's Boulevard C50 cruiser, so it's easiest to just order a new one from your favorite source for Suzuki bits.

You can also haunt fleaBay for a rear wheel and/or driven spline from any 1990+ Suzuki shaftie 800-1200cc -- Intruder, C50, GSX1100G, VX800, Madura, etc. Obviously that takes longer, and shipping a rear wheel is crazy expensive (although sellers are sometimes willing to remove the spline and hardware and just send that to you).

$140, but it'll basically be bulletproof from now on:

It's also worth replacing the lock washers and thrust plates, or at least flipping the old ones over and using a dab of moly paste on them.

And make sure you reinstall the bolts with Loctite. Even with the lock washers, they can back out without Loctite.

Comment

Would this work as a replacement? I believe the part numbers are the same.

Shop online for OEM Rear Wheel parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS850G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Comment

That one will work. If you keep looking, you might find one a little cheaper. Post in parts wanted here on GSR too. I bought one from a member here and several members had them for sale as well.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Just to recap on cleaners...I can use brake clean or diesel with a stiff brush? I have some kerosene on hand too.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

All my local dealers have gone from moly 60 to m-77. I'm assuming that's safe to use?

Sorry for all the questions, first time messing around this part of the bike.

Comment

I had to replace my wheel spline just this year, it had 36,000 miles on it. It gave me very little notice it was going bad. I was just pulling away from a stop then Zing. I knew immediately what it was. I pick one up from a GSR member. I got the black one from a 1980 or 81. If you get the earlier one, ask for the clips. There different that the 82 clips.
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I just sent chef a message about one mentioned for sale in this thread (off a 1980 GS1000G)

Can you tell me what clips you are talking about? Here is the parts diagram for the donor:
                              Shop online for OEM Rear Wheel parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS1000G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Comment

Working...
                              X