Brakes on a 1982 GS750L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes on a 1982 GS750L

Howdy all - I have a '82 that has rear drums and I just picked up a extra frame with tires assembly that has rear disk... anyone know if I can swap out rear assemblies to convert it to disk and what all that would involve for changes?

Thanks! Shem

Originally posted by Shem4Christ View Post
    Howdy all - I have a '82 that has rear drums and I just picked up a extra frame with tires assembly that has rear disk... anyone know if I can swap out rear assemblies to convert it to disk and what all that would involve for changes?

Thanks! Shem
    I already answered this in the General Discussion page though will repeat it here. I believe you have an 82 T model not an L, the T has the rear drum brake and a single disk brake up front. The L had a disk in the back and dual disks up front. And if my memory serves me right, the L was only built in 80 and 81. The T resembles the L quite a bit. A pic would be helpful, we are a visual lot here.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thank you sir! I will try to get some pics this weekend.

Comment

I'd say it is indeed a 750T 20150810_192941.jpg

Comment

So, looking at this comparison pic of my bike and the spare frame... looking at possibly swapping rear swing arms and assembly. Any thoughts?

20150810_193241.jpg

Comment

room between frame at front of swing arms seems same width on both bokes... only major differences I noticed was different tire size and the forks are slightly shorter on 2nd frame than on my bike.... if I swap rear assemblies and downsize tires (haven't measured but eye balled looked to be about an inch different in rim size), what would be any issues that could happen from that?

Comment

You will have to mount the master cylinder, brake pedal, etc from the disc bike onto yours. You better check to see if there are any differences in the frame between the two bikes.

Swapping out the drum for disc won't add anything meaningful in terms of braking power. The rear brake is weak either way. The advantage of a disc is to reduce fading mostly. Unless you are racing it won't matter much though.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                You will have to mount the master cylinder, brake pedal, etc from the disc bike onto yours. You better check to see if there are any differences in the frame between the two bikes.

Swapping out the drum for disc won't add anything meaningful in terms of braking power. The rear brake is weak either way. The advantage of a disc is to reduce fading mostly. Unless you are racing it won't matter much though.

Agreed. Quit worrying about the rear brake -- it's plenty powerful either way -- and focus on getting everything else up to snuff.

Once the bike is running perfectly, the electrics are stone reliable, and it's handling wonderfully because of the new tires and upgraded suspension parts... then it might be time to think about upgrading the front end to dual disk brakes. Honestly, once you get the front brake rebuilt and install new modern pads and a stainless brake line, you might be pleasantly surprised by how well it works. Remember, the front brake is over 70% of your braking power.

But any way you slice it, there's simply no point at all in fussing with the rear brake. The drum looks clean, it's simple, and it works perfectly well. Worst case you might need new brake shoes if the old ones are hard or damaged.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thank you - frame seems the same other than obviously I'd have to weld on the bracket for the MC, even brake pedal appears the same so should hook up there. Definately not racing just trying to get an old cruiser that's been sitting in my garage way too long back out on the road! Rear brake rod broke on my drum set, replaced with "rod that would work" (according to the mechanic at the old shop I went to) and it not working lol... so since the rear brake needing work anyway I found this 550 frame with tire assemblies and debated swapping out. More I look at it, and think on it though I think I'm gonna work on drum, try to get that working "functionally" and maybe switch front to double disks... would the front tubes and tire from the 550 (it's twin disk) be a easy/decent swap to put on the 750?

Comment

Sounds like a plan!!! Trust me, the more I stared at the rear assembly last night the most I kept thinking I needed to work on other things lol! Need a battery and then gotta replace fuel lines and work carb over and I'll go from there

Comment

I put the swing arm and brake from a 550 L on my '78 550 which came stock with the drum. Easy swap, the swing arm fit, the mounts for the master cylinder were on the frame already, everything bolted right up. I would guess your T would be the same, but don't really know.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

it should fit, except i would be going from a 550 to a 750... not sure I want the smaller tire and shorter swing arm (550), or how much difference it would make

Comment

Working...
                        X