No announcement yet.

GS850 G forks on L (Maybe?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, that's definitely a 1979 caliper. It's not going to work with those GL forks.

So a set of 1980+ calipers would be something of an upgrade, and you could get them with the correct brackets for the GL fork (or a G fork).

However, if that's a 1979 G frame, then all in all I'd stick with the G forks so the geometry is correct.

The 1979 G and the 1980 G and GL all had 17" rear wheels. The GL models switched to a 16" rear wheel in 1981. Since your bike has the 1980+ slotted rotor, I'm thinking that's the 1980 GL rear wheel.

Crikey, you're going to have to make a spreadsheet to keep track of all this...
    Last edited by bwringer; 08-09-2015, 01:01 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      Looks like a 79 master cylinder as well but no kick start ?
      I'm pretty sure we've established that the engine, airbox, sidecovers, seat, headlight, rotors, rear fender, tank, and carbs are 1980 GL. The frame, forks, calipers and MC are probably 1979 G. Wheels are probably 1980 GL, could be 79 G with 80 rotors.

Not sure about the instruments.
      Last edited by bwringer; 08-09-2015, 01:10 PM.
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Why do you want to change the forks?

The issue with the old calipers and new fork is the caliper hangers are wrong. You could possibly look for some caliper hangers off a 1000L, but not sure they would be a proper match either.
        The right fork seal leaks. The last time I changed it I noticed some kind of wear in the lower tube seal surface. It sounds to me though I shouldnt use these newer GL forks if I have a G frame.

Comment

It looks to me like a 1980 GS850GL with 1979 GS850G forks. If the PO swapped the forks but not the triple-tree, the handling will be weird.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
            It looks to me like a 1980 GS850GL with 1979 GS850G forks. If the PO swapped the forks but not the triple-tree, the handling will be weird.
            Read through the other posts: that's not a GL frame.
            Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Looks like our posts crossed!

That's definitely a 1980 GS850GL. Perhaps an '81 ...
              The '81 L had different airbox and side covers. Those are '80 parts.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's almost as if someone had a '79G (with a title) that got really ratty and nasty, but found an '80L (cheap, no title) with a front-end smash that gave up its good bits.
                It's the kind of thing people do to keep going / turn a buck.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                  It's almost as if someone had a '79G (with a title) that got really ratty and nasty, but found an '80L (cheap, no title) with a front-end smash that gave up its good bits.
                  It's the kind of thing people do to keep going / turn a buck.
                  Yep, kinda what I was thinking. As I mentioned above, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with this. With a bit of care you could still end up with a motorcycle that works perfectly well, and it sounds like the OP has been riding around happily for a while. Just have to be careful with future repair and maintenance.

Too bad the folks who put together these "bitsas" never seem to keep any notes...
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

A close up of the motor mount plates and the fork clamp screws would be interesting.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Yep, kinda what I was thinking. As I mentioned above, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with this. With a bit of care you could still end up with a motorcycle that works perfectly well, and it sounds like the OP has been riding around happily for a while. Just have to be careful with future repair and maintenance.

Too bad the folks who put together these "bitsas" never seem to keep any notes...
                      Yeah, it's been a great bike for sure. But I need to get started on the spreadsheet!

A close up of the motor mount plates and the fork clamp screws would be interesting.
                      I'll take some pics and post soon.

Thanks,

K

Comment

Why?

tencharacters
                        Eat more venison.

Comment

Why?tencharacters

Maybe a PO got creative, maybe it's a genuine factory Frankenbike. If there are no toolmarks at the mounts or clamps it leaves the second possibility open.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                          X