Shinko 804/805 tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinko 804/805 tires

I've been looking at other forums and google for feedback on these tires for the DL650. So far it's been positive and for just about $15 ($30 when 705s on sale) more a set over the Shinko 705s, I'm considering purchasing a set for my wee Strom. I've been pleased with the 705s and have 5600+ miles on the set this season and have not hit the wear bars on the rear and maybe push to 6500-7k miles. The front is plenty good til 10k miles. They have worn evenly and nice and round with no cupping at 36psi on/off road, but maybe looking for something that will hold better in the scrummy stuff off road. The 705s are radial and the 804/805 are bias but I think either is fine for all road work under 100mph. Any feedback here would be welcome...

Here is one review:

My short (very short) Shinko 804/805 tire review. Excuse the voice over work. I had to cram it into the video length and I'm not that great of a public spe...

Here is the best deal I've seen at $180 shipped in my sizes:

Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gloves, Motorcycle Boots, Motocross Helmets, MX Jerseys, MX Pants, Motocross Boots
    Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2015, 03:51 PM.

I'm using the Heidenau K60 Scouts currently. Not quite as aggressive - more of a middle ground between the 705 & those. They are working well & seem to have good longevity. I expect to get at least 8k out of them
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      I'm using the Heidenau K60 Scouts currently. Not quite as aggressive - more of a middle ground between the 705 & those. They are working well & seem to have good longevity. I expect to get at least 8k out of them
      I was just reading about the K60s Dan, look like pretty good tires & also have an aggressive look to them. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

All the feedback I've seen (on ADVrider and similar) is that they work great but evaporate astonishingly fast.

You can't expect knobbies to ever last long, of course.

Although they do cost a helluva lot more, the Conti TKC80s do seem to last longer. Depending on how long a trip you're planning, the Shinkos may not last long enough to be practical, so the cost/mile of the Contis may be well worth it.

Looks like a set of Continentals in the same sizes has come down to around $250 (last time I checked, they were well over $300).

Might want to look here -- in V-Strom sizes, the Shinkos are $170 shipped, Contis $250. Great vendor, too:
        America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.
        Last edited by bwringer; 11-23-2015, 03:10 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          All the feedback I've seen (on ADVrider and similar) is that they work great but evaporate astonishingly fast.

You can't expect knobbies to ever last long, of course.

Although they do cost a helluva lot more, the Conti TKC80s do seem to last longer. Depending on how long a trip you're planning, the Shinkos may not last long enough to be practical, so the cost/mile of the Contis may be well worth it.

Looks like a set of Continentals in the same sizes has come down to around $250 (last time I checked, they were well over $300).

Might want to look here -- in V-Strom sizes, the Shinkos are $170 shipped, Contis $250. Great vendor, too:
          http://www.americanmototire.com
          Never dealt with them but just set up an account and put the Shinko 804/805 in the cart ready to pull the trigger. I heard similar reports of short life for the 705's but will easily get 6k out of a set. Going through the threads it seems like reports of 5k for the 805's weren't uncommon. No long trips beyond 600-700 miles planned now so getting to and from not a concern. Now it's a matter of getting these tires and wanting to try cruddier terrain without trashing the wee too much.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2015, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Dan, what size K60s are you running? I think I'm going to have to go 110/90-19 up front & 120/80-17 out back.
            It's only +10mm front & -10mm back.

Comment

Well, since I have a lot of miles left on the front 705 tire, I held off on the Shinko 804/805 set and just ordered a new rear 705 for now. The set of 705's has 6k miles and the rear could go another 1k, but I'll do the 2 rear to 1 front wear cycle and stay with matched tires. The next set will be the more aggressive 804/805 but the 705's do everything I want for now and I'll stay away from deep sand or mud. BTW, American Motorcycle Tire was a few $'s cheaper and shipping is free without any minimum order amount. They sent the tire out Fedex and I had it within 2 days and the manufacture date stamp was 3515, so it's fresher than any tire I've received from other vendors. They only sell tires but I am pleased with them. Thanks.
              Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2015, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X