GS1100GKE Front Fork Anti-friction metal source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GKE Front Fork Anti-friction metal source

Does anyone know if and where you can get the anti-friction metal used on the inner and outer tubes of the front forks?

Thanks
    Eric

I'd swear we JUST covered this... hang on a bit.

Ah, here we go:

Beware -- the following thread is full of people who are constantly confusing the 41mm GK forks with the 37mm found on most other GS models. Also, it looks like the story of the Racetech bushings may or may not be complete

One other possibility that hasn't been tried out yet is bushings from later models with 41mm forks, such as the VX800.
    Last edited by bwringer; 12-16-2015, 06:20 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by esolliday View Post
      Does anyone know if and where you can get the anti-friction metal used on the inner and outer tubes of the front forks?

Thanks
      Eric
      Your forks are 37mm right. I went to a 83 GS1100E fork parts list and ordered the upper fork bushing using that part#, the lower bushing you should be able to order yet from the GS1100GKE parts list. If not, I'm some what sure the one from the 83 GS1100E would work. Remember they are teflon coated so don't mar them.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Just checked...I have the 41mm forks

Comment

Just checked the Race Tech site...they had the bushings!
          Thanks guys!

Comment

Just checked the Race Tech site...they had the bushings!
            Thanks guys!
            Good deal, those will tighten up the forks nicely.
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Just a follow-up on the bushings...
              If anyone found the thread on the differences between the '84 GS1100GKE and earlier models, one additional difference is the fork tube diameter. The '84 (at least mine did) has 41 mm diameter tubes, while it seems the '83 and earlier GS1100's have the 37 mm tubes. The Race Tech site did not have an entry for the '84 so I originally ordered what showed up for the '83 and earlier. After the discussions above, I double checked the measurement and found I had ordered the wrong bushings.

On their website, they have a link to a more complete listing of bushings here. Lesson learned...always follow-up and make sure you order what you need.

Comment

As you're finding out and every GK owner knows, confusion reigns.

Very few parts suppliers (and, it appears, many people on this forum) have EVER heard of the GK... and most application guides leave out the 1100G shafties or mix them in with the chain drive 1100E models.

The 1100G/GL shafties ('82-'83 in the US) and chain drive/16V 1100E/1100L models have 37mm diameter forks. There are lots of other differences between the forks on the various 1100 models as well -- all they shared was the fork tube diameter. If someone tells me they have a GS1100, they haven't told me much at all.

The 1100GK models ('82-'84 in the US) have 41mm diameter forks, intended to give added load carrying ability and stiffness to support the large fairing and bags.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  As you're finding out and every GK owner knows, confusion reigns.

Very few parts suppliers (and, it appears, many people on this forum) have EVER heard of the GK... and most application guides leave out the 1100G shafties or mix them in with the chain drive 1100E models.

The 1100G/GL shafties ('82-'83 in the US) and chain drive/16V 1100E/1100L models have 37mm diameter forks. There are lots of other differences between the forks on the various 1100 models as well -- all they shared was the fork tube diameter. If someone tells me they have a GS1100, they haven't told me much at all.

The 1100GK models ('82-'84 in the US) have 41mm diameter forks, intended to give added load carrying ability and stiffness to support the large fairing and bags.

Glad you cleared that up, Now I'm in the know between the GK and the GS forks.
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

I double checked the measurement and found I had ordered the wrong bushings.
                    What did you do with the 37s ? I changed mine with Suzuki bushings and my forks are still loose as a goose. I believe its the root cause of my high speed (+90mph) weave.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I was able to get back to Race Tech and change the order before they shipped.
                      I haven't looked into them, but someone has talked about a fork brace that is supposed to help. I'll post the reference if I can find it again.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I was able to get back to Race Tech and change the order before they shipped.
                        I haven't looked into them, but someone has talked about a fork brace that is supposed to help. I'll post the reference if I can find it again.
                        Can you please post the Race Tech part number for the GKE (41mm) bushings?
                        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

King...

Inner: FMBI 41201 P (41 mm diameter, 20 mm width, 1 mm thick)
                          Outer: FMBO 41122 P (41 mm diameter, 12 mm width, 2 mm thick)

Their full listing of sizes is -> HERE <-
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks, will now order a set.
                            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

someone has talked about a fork brace that is supposed to help.
                              Got one and it does help......a little. Its a band aide until the forks get tightened up.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X