Aftermarket Fork Springs for GS450 + Rear Shock Size Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Fork Springs for GS450 + Rear Shock Size Question

I'm looking into replacing the fork springs on my '80 GS450L with something more heavy duty. I'm rather tall and large, and don't know how the stock springs would do. The bike is hardtailed currently, so I'll be replacing the rear shocks sometime soon as well. Is there a good aftermarket option for these front forks? I looked at sonic springs and I saw they had springs for the GS550 and GS500, but nothing smaller than that. Would the 500 springs be compatible without any sort of modification? Also, does somebody have a measurement for the rear shocks on the 450? Since mine is hardtailed its hard to tell where the swingarm originally sat, or if it would need changed to accommodate my size.

Give Sonic a call. They've got great customer service and will help in anyway they can. The owners a member here. Pretty darn sure the stock shocks on that bike will be the same as most others, 13". I checked Progressive Suspension and they list the shock for your bike at 13" as well. Progressive lists a front spring for your bike, as well as the rear shocks. If I were given the choice I'd be taking the Sonic (straight rate spring) for sure but being a hard tail I'm not sure if you care about performance at all, maybe the progressives (progressively wound spring) would be fine.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Be careful on the Progressive shocks. You can get whatever spring rate you want, but the damping is set up for the big heavy bikes, it will ride hard as a rock on the lighter 450.

I haven't found any designed for light bikes like the 450, let me know if you find anything because I need some for mine. The front is easy, Sonic fork springs in an appropriate rate, cartridge emulators and it will ride pretty nice.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Be careful on the Progressive shocks. You can get whatever spring rate you want, but the damping is set up for the big heavy bikes, it will ride hard as a rock on the lighter 450.

I haven't found any designed for light bikes like the 450, let me know if you find anything because I need some for mine. The front is easy, Sonic fork springs in an appropriate rate, cartridge emulators and it will ride pretty nice.
        I did a real quick search, and I'm not sure about this website or this brand, but here's a 13" shock that has springs sold separately depending on size. They have bikes in the 360-650cc range, but the GS450 and 550 aren't listed. Hope that might help.

Find the Progressive Suspension 12 Series Dual Shocks - 13 in. Eye-to-Clevis at Dennis Kirk. Shop our complete selection of Motorcycle Goldwing parts and accessories including the Progressive Suspension 12 Series Dual Shocks - 13 in. Eye-to-Clevis.

Comment

Those are eye to clevis, the 450s need eye to eye. They probably have them but ask about the damping.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Those are eye to clevis, the 450s need eye to eye. They probably have them but ask about the damping.
            Oh, yea. I see that now, sorry. I'll keep looking around and respond here if I find anything that provides a better fit than the ~$90 ones on eBay.

*edit* Here's a set on the same site thats a 13" eye to eye. It lists the GS450 (1980-1983) as a compatible vehicle with a specific shock for it.

https://www.denniskirk.com/progressi....prd/58338.sku
            Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2016, 11:12 PM.

Comment

The $90 Ebay ones are out, they ride brutally hard on a big bike.

Comment

Originally posted by JRHemmen View Post
                ...Is there a good aftermarket option for these front forks? I looked at sonic springs and I saw they had springs for the GS550 and GS500, but nothing smaller than that. Would the 500 springs be compatible without any sort of modification?...
                Unfortunately, we don't have anything in stock for the 450. The fork tubes are quite skinny and our smallest springs, which are 24mm OD, won't fit into the tubes.
                Race-Tech may have something for you, or we can do a custom set (which might actually be cheaper than Race-Tech's off the shelf ones).
                Shoot me a pm or email if you would like to discuss further.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

850G shocks drop right on a 450; they're a bit stiff, but with 5 way preload and 4 way damping I find them OK on the softest settings. I weigh about 165 so if you're 200 or more they might be just right. Finding a pair might be a challenge, but……? I think all the G models have eye to eye shocks, but I've only owned the 850.

The forks respond well to having an inch or two cut off the springs and a spacer - PVC pipe - added. I seem to recall cutting about 1.5" off and a two inch spacer, but it's been a long time. If you cut too much off, the coils will bind before you get full travel. Cut the closer wound end.
                  '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
                    850G shocks drop right on a 450; they're a bit stiff, but with 5 way preload and 4 way damping I find them OK on the softest settings.
                    That's just what we did last summer for Larry D's GS450 -- I happened to have a set of fairly low-mileage stock 850G shocks on the shelf that were in decent shape but getting sort of bouncy and overwhelmed on the porky 850.

We slapped them on the fo-fiddy, and they actually work mostly okayish under us healthy corn-fed Americans. Much better than the stock 450 shocks anyway.

We ended up installing Progressive fork springs -- as Rich mentioned, they're lil' biddy boogers.

For the rear, another option might be Hagon shocks -- they use shock bodies with various damping profiles, so the "soft" profile might work out pretty well. A little over $200, though.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I like that idea, anyone have a nice old set of stock 850G shocks laying around?

Anyone want a damned near new set of Hagons for an 850G or 1100G?

Comment

So it looks like putting on the stock 850 shocks is my best bet. I'm seeing them on ebay for $30-$60, does that seem like a decent price?

Comment

Originally posted by JRHemmen View Post
                          So it looks like putting on the stock 850 shocks is my best bet. I'm seeing them on ebay for $30-$60, does that seem like a decent price?
                          The ones currently listed by 'mistermonkeyclaw' for $32.70 look really nice. The shafts look in great shape and that is what's most critical. The others look pretty pooched to me…..

If I needed a set I'd pounce. Although I haven't actually bought from him, I've come close, and he seems to be a respected and fair dealer. Plus, I like buying from places like Appleton, Wisconsin. Low overhead; short riding season.
                          '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
                            The ones currently listed by 'mistermonkeyclaw' for $32.70 look really nice. The shafts look in great shape and that is what's most critical. The others look pretty pooched to me…..

If I needed a set I'd pounce. Although I haven't actually bought from him, I've come close, and he seems to be a respected and fair dealer. Plus, I like buying from places like Appleton, Wisconsin. Low overhead; short riding season.
                            Just ordered them. $47.70 shipped. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Comment

Did you ever figure out a front spring solution? Is Progressive really our only option for front springs?

Comment

Working...
                              X