Valve stem size? GS750T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve stem size? GS750T

So now the bike has decided it doesn't like it when the front wheel is inflated... Jebus.

Anyone know what the appropriate valve stem size is? I want to order two metal ones from Fleabay.

Thanks.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Those are tubeless rims. The new inner tube comes with the stem.
    Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      Those are tubeless rims. The new inner tube comes with the stem.
      Ray.
      Ray,

If they are tubeless rims... Then...???
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

If it were me I would be running tubes on those rims if they are the stock ones.

Comment

I've never had a problem with the factory rims in the 11 GS's I have had. I think there was a flaw in the very early GS models but can't recollect exactly what it was.
          2010 Honda VFR1200F
          Being Revisited
          1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Alas.... I suppose I will have the local dealer just put in rubber ones to replace the metal ones that the bike is currently sporting.
            2010 Honda VFR1200F
            Being Revisited
            1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

The owner's manual for the '83 model says they're tubeless. My '82 has one of each...but I'm running tubeless in both right now. Sorry I can't help with the size.
              sigpic
              1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
              2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

The '83 GS750T shows tubeless front and rear tires in the fiche. The '82 shows tubes.

You'll need a proper motorcycle valve stem. These are 5/16" in diameter, sometimes expressed as 8mm or .312 inch. Just to be confusing, sometimes these dimensions are given a little bit "fatter", like 8.3mm. The actual hole in the wheel is a little bigger than 5/16", so these will be fine too.

In other words, the valve stem is the same diameter all the way down. Valve stems for cars are fatter near the bottom (about 11.5mm, or or .453" hole) where they go through the wheel.

I don't know why, but valve stems are a stupidly confusing mishmash of diameters and measurement systems... it's often hard to make sure of what you're ordering.
                Last edited by bwringer; 02-09-2016, 08:35 PM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I can't confirm my 82 "T" has tubes but it does have those metal stems on both front/rear.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thank you both for the input. I'll try to follow up when I get the stems changed.
                    2010 Honda VFR1200F
                    Being Revisited
                    1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

I have an '82 750T as well, and I can't confirm what mine has on it and haven't been able to spend much of any time restoring it this winter, as I've been away on business ~3 out of the last 5 weeks, but I am curious what you end up finding and if you can't keep the metal ones. You'd think they'd be more durable, but then again there has to be some rubber in there sealing against the metal rim and I bet that's what's failing, unless it's the Schrader valve.

My 83 750 has had 2 crappy rubber valve stems crack and leak, but the shop I used to take my tires to doesn't have or use metal threaded valve stems. The last time a rubber one they put in gave out on me on the freeway (!) I asked them to put a metal one in, and they wouldn't. So I bought my own tire changing gear and will be taking my tires to them to balance after I mount them in the future.
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------
                      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                      X