Front fork size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork size

I'm going to taking my front forks off to install a newer set of headlight ears. I was thinking of adding some fork boots at the same time. Does anyone know the diameter size of these forks (37mm?)..and/or where I might stumble upon a good pair of boots?
    Thanks
    Chad

Well, there are about 4 different sizes so WHAT BIKE??????????????????????????????
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You want decent quality fork boots? Not some piece of junk that's overpriced rubbish?
      Get a set of aftermarket Volvo 440 / 460 / 480 Manual steering rack boots - excellent quality rubber and will last for years - much longer than the type of crap that's sold as fork boots now.
      They fit the GS850 forks perfectly. I lucked onto some NOS ones for about two bucks a set - so bought all he had.

Otoh, where you likely are - the US - you can nip into the local Autozone or O'Reilly's and score a pair of Ranger shock boots for cheap - many have had good luck with those. I was forced into looking for alternatives because of the insane pricing over here of things like that.
      If you have 35mm forks, many people over at XS650.com have fitted VW Rabbit boots on their forks.
      Last edited by Grimly; 03-07-2016, 12:24 PM.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Well, there are about 4 different sizes so WHAT BIKE??????????????????????????????
        D'oh..my bike is an 1981 gs450t...

Comment

Originally posted by chadams66 View Post
          D'oh..my bike is an 1981 gs450t...
          Pretty sure those are 33mm. Little soda straw things.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

From Basscliff's site you can find this fork tube size document - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...fork_diameters.

(Rich is correct - they are 33mm)
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Or just go out to the garage and measure...

What's on the bike always trumps what's in the books. Lots of us have been bamboozled and flustermicated by something some PO changed.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The benefits of changing the spindly 450's 33mm forks to something more substantial would be well worth a little bamboozlement and even some flustermication. They are tiny.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thanks for the information guys...I knew they were twiggy little things when I took them off to put in progressive springs...all of the boots I've found were pretty much in the 35mm size (and cheap chinese junk at that)...if I had a micrometer out in my garage I certainly would've gone out and measured them myself...asking some "internet" friends seemed like a good way to go...it's worked for me before...
                  I understand that they aren't the best forks in the world..but for this bike..with the progressive springs they do a pretty damned good job...I have received compliments on it when chasing 600 sport bikes...they come up and want to know what it is.."man you were railing through those corners"...lol..when I replace the rear shocks..then they'll be surprized...I have two other bikes that are my main stays...this sweetheart was my first "back to riding" bike of 4 years ago...I fixed her all up..and have put more than a few thousand miles on her...I still ride her around town to run small errands...
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2016, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X