82 gs1100g suspension overhaul...help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs1100g suspension overhaul...help

ok i have asked this before along time ago but cannot seem to find the thread anymore. I have a 1982 gs1100g with the original suspension. Since getting hit last summer I have decided to just drop the money into it and get her the way I feel she should be for me. I was talking to another member about this, but cannot remember his name. I am a 6'2" guy with about 278 lbs. on me. I really need the bike to handle this weight and be a comfortable ride seeing as how I really enjoy the two lane highway rides. I seem to remember something about using a sonic spring for the forks but he had mentioned something about using a progressive 12 series dampener with I think a goldwing or a voyager hd spring, this giving a gravitationally challenged individual a more comfortable ride. If this sounds familiar to some someone please speak up and help a hefty brother out.

Hm, that all sounds like stuff I might have posted, especially the bit about the V'ger springs.

I'm similarly gravitationally gifted, my riding pace is bat outta hell, and here's how my 850G (same as your bike, slightly heavier and less power) is set up:

Front:
    1.10 kg/mm Sonic fork springs

Sag is perfect (about 30mm) with a spacer cut to achieve 19mm (3/4") sag.

10W fork oil.

Rear:
    Progressive 12 series shock bodies ("dampers")
    Progressive EXTRA Heavy-Duty springs

Here's the thing: Progressive's "heavy duty" 105/150 spring recommendation wasn't cuttin' the mustard when I loaded up the bike for a trip.

So I did some catalog rummaging and found that there's a stronger 12 series spring specified for the ginormous Kawasaki Voyager (look up the 1984 Kaw Voyager 1300). The standard 12 series spring for the mighty V'ger is a 120/170. Perfect.

Also, spoon on sticky tires -- I like Avon RoadRiders, personally -- and upgrade the brakes with stainless braided lines and fresh modern pads. Make sure your steering stem and swingarm bearings are all up to snuff, and rock on.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Z1Enterprises.com sells Progressive shocks without the springs and you can order the spring rates you like. I am about the same size as you boys and bought some 135/170 springs for my 13 1/2" Progressive 12s I had mounted on a KZ1000E (shaft drive) which is about the same size/weight as the GS you ride. They were on the stiff side and I had to put the adjusters on the 2nd softest preload position for a comfy ride. I then put them on a Bonneville America which had 12 or 12 1/2 inch shocks. the rear tire isn't centered in the fender and the bike would scrape and bottom with the stock shocks. These shocks really made that bike ride a whole lot better and never bottomed the tire in the fender again. You can order the springs rates you like from Z1Enterprsies.com.

Comment

I do believe it was you bwringer that I was talking to, I remember your pic. I did look up the springs for the 84 voyager and oddly enough the hd springs for it and my 82 gs1100 are the same part number with the same spring rates...lol guess it didn't matter. I do however need to get a different set of tires also so I will look up some of the info on the Avons that you mentioned just in case maybe could possible need something a little stickier for those slick concrete spots.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X