1982 GS450L Tire Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS450L Tire Options

OK, please don't flame me as I have searched a lot on this subject.

What kind of tires are you guys running on 450L bikes. I am having a hard time finding a matching set of vintage style tires. I'm not interested in changing out the rear wheel for a 17 at this point either.

Stock was 4.60-16 rear, 3.00-19 front (some fiches have a typo showing 3.60 for the tire, but a 3.00 tube). That translates to 120/90-16 and 100/90-19 in modern sizes.

The rear is going to be a little harder to find. The one worthy choice that comes in the correct rear size is the IRC Durotour RS310:

There's also a Kenda in that size, but they are absolutely awful tires -- downright dangerous, in my experience.

Personally, I would not go to a 130/90-16 rear. There are skrillions available, but the wheel is very narrow and the handling will be goofed up because the tire will be squeezed into the wrong profile.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

A 3.00 19 is 80mm wide, 655mm diameter - or thereabouts, depending. This translates to an 80/90 19 - except that it only seems to exist as a dual sport tire. A 90/90 19 is about as close as it gets being 90mm by 645 high. A 100/90 should be on a 2.15 rim which won't be stock on a 450.

I don't think there's any point in going to a 100/90 front on this bike. For the same reasons not to go to a 130 on the rear.
      '82 GS450T

Comment

That makes sense, the information I had listed 3.6-19.

Good to know about the Kenda tires, I will avoid those.

Assuming you guys have run 100/90 on the front or should I go with 90/90 as John mentioned?

Comment

I will agree on avoiding Kenda tires. They are only (marginally) useful to keep the rims off the floor when moving the bike around.
          I will not even get on a bike with Kenda, let alone ride it.

Stick with the 90/90 tire on the front. Your wheel is not wide enough to properly support a 100/90.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, I'm leaning towards Avon AM26 Roadrider tires (90/90 Front, 120/80 Rear). I mounted Avons on my Harley and was very impressed.

Anyone running these tires? Assuming I will be OK running tubeless front and rear. I know my front wheel calls for tubeless but cannot remember if that text is on the rear (will check tonight).

Comment

Good catch on the front, y'all -- 90/90-19 would indeed be best.

You need a 120/90-16 on the rear, not a 120/80-16. The Avons are indeed great tires, but I don't think they're available in 120/90-16.

The parts diagram shows tubes front and rear. However, if the wheels are marked "tubeless tire applicable" then install new tire valves and go tubeless.
              Last edited by bwringer; 06-06-2016, 06:33 PM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Good catch on the front, y'all -- 90/90-19 would indeed be best.

You need a 120/90-16 on the rear, not a 120/80-16. The Avons are indeed great tires, but I don't think they're available in 120/90-16.
                Is the 90 aspect ration needed from a handling perspective? I did not realize that a half inch shorter sidewall would make or break that tire.

The search continues...

Comment

...you don't necessarily need matching tires do you?...and dare I say it- especially on an L. No I don't have anything against 'em but the look of the bike does not suggest " Isle of Man" criticality to me.
                  And the back seems to wear out before a front tire anyways.

So I'd just get as close a conversion of the original sizes as I could that had similar front and back tread patterns ....also, Lower aspect tires will be harder to mount on slightly wrong rims( correct mme if I am wrong)...(inch versus metric) especially if you are doing it yourself. PS: recommend buying some proper bead lubricant in the latter case- it's a big help!
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-07-2016, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Good point. I also did not consider difficulty to mount the shorter sidewall.

At this point I will probably go with the IRC Durotour referenced by bwringer.

Comment

Working...
                    X