Balance beads question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balance beads question.

I've met a few riders who use balance beads instead of weights to balance their tires, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I've added the recommended amount for my tire size and was about to remove the weight from the wheels and I see that there are two types, one type (2) were factory install(marked Suzuki and painted gold like the wheels) and two others were black likely added later probably with a tire change. The combined weight of all the weights was greater than the recommended 2oz of beads I put in.

So do I remove both types weights? I've removed the non factory weights but I'm unsure about the oem's. I thought the oem's might be for the cast wheels and the others for the tires.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Where were these weights in relation to each other?

If they were opposite each other on the wheel, they basically cancelled each other. If they were near each other, there might have been a serious problem.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Probably a improperly mounted tire needed extra weight. How is the ride with the newer weights off?
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
        Probably a improperly mounted tire needed extra weight. How is the ride with the newer weights off?
        I haven't ridden it yet, I'm just finishing the rebuild and changed the 25+ year old tire while I was waiting for parts. The tire isn't original so the factory weights were there before the tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Where were these weights in relation to each other?

If they were opposite each other on the wheel, they basically cancelled each other. If they were near each other, there might have been a serious problem.

factory weights were clipped on on either side of the valve stem, from the markings 20 and 30 I assume grams. I pulled two of other weights 4 gm each that were stuck on with adhesive, I suspect these were added with a tire change. A total of 58 grams is about 2oz.
          Last edited by wyly; 06-16-2016, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Balance beads theoretically move to where the weight is needed with the spinning motion of the tire. Of course it all falls to the bottom every time you stop. I'm not sure at what speed they actually stay where their needed. I've never used them myself, but have changed tires with them in it. Damn things go everywhere.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Not if you do it right.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Some guys like them, some guys think they're crap. You're on your own.

Comment

Take off all the weights and run the beads only.

Comment

I used them in my cruiser - mainly because it was a PITA to fix weights to the polished alloy wheels.

They seemed to work OK , but I never rode the bike without wheel weights so I couldn't tell you how good they were.....
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I've no doubt they work I've spoken with enough riders that are satisfied with them my only question was the factory wheel weights. Adding up the weights in grams of the oem weights that were on the wheels and converting that to ounces ( which equals the recommended weight of balance beads) would confirm I should remove them as well.

Going with beads saves me the expense of buying a wheel balancing tool, frees me from relying on cycle shops to change my tires and buying my tires direct from discount internet suppliers.

Comment

Yes, pull all the weights off the wheel and start over.

Coupla things:

1) Assuming you're running tubeless wheels, it wouldn't hurt to balance the bare wheel. Many modern tires, like most Avons, come from the factory perfectly balanced. In other words, do a static balance to see where your wheel ends up with a valve stem but without a tire. Odds are you can re-use one or both of the factory weights (if you want) to get it close. If you install factory balanced tires, you really don't need to do additional balancing. (In my experience, FWIW, vintage cast wheels are usually out of balance by some random amount; cast wheels on modern bikes are much more accurate.)

2) Static balancing requires little in the way of expense or tools. For example, here's the balancing setup I've used for many years, made from salvaged skate bearings and random garage dross (note clever substitute for a motorcycle wheel and axle for clarity):

Even if you have to buy the bearings, you can affix them to just about anything you have lying around.

3) Balancing motorcycle wheels is not incredibly important, although people can and do get highly worked up about the subject, especially if you disparage their precious holy beads. Under 120mph, you would need to be a very sensitive rider indeed to notice anything less than a two or three ounce imbalance. So relax a little -- it's hard to get this wrong.

Personally, I static balance -- it's simple and clean. The beads are messy and expensive, although there are ways to minimize both. You do what makes you happy. Either way, you get to ride a motorcycle...
                        Last edited by bwringer; 06-17-2016, 08:25 PM.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

very good information bwringer, thanks.
                          I'll look into making my own balancing tool. If I get on the road this summer I'll try it with balance beads but I'll take photos of the factory weight position should I want to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            3) Balancing motorcycle wheels is not incredibly important, although people can and do get highly worked up about the subject, especially if you disparage their precious holy beads. Under 120mph, you would need to be a very sensitive rider indeed to notice anything less than a two or three ounce imbalance. So relax a little -- it's hard to get this wrong.
                            Heh, indeed. I've owned a total of two bikes now. Changed the tires myself on both. I removed the stock weights and after installing the new tires forgot about the weights altogether until the wheels were back on. Neither one had any vibration whatsoever.

I do have some stick-on weights and every once in a while I think about sticking them on to see how much I need to add before noticing any vibration. But so far I haven't had enough time for such science.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

My beads experience on Goldwings

Over the course of nearly 100,000 miles on my old 1996 GL1500 Goldwing I used balance beads in the tires.
                              They WORK - simple enough . But HOW they work is of some note:
                              Tires CAN wear unevenly and the beads adjust they balance every time you get rolling to the place they NEED to be.
                              That promotes EVEN tire wear and longevity.
                              So - they are not only easier to use for wheel balance ; they are somewhat arguably better -
                              Now on my Goldwing I use Centramatics - (even easier to use as they fasten to the wheel rather than in the tire)
                              But the idea is the same --
                              Here is a short video to demonstrate concept --
                              <strong>
                              Currently in the Stable :
                              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                              X