fork hand pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork hand pump

Suggestions... hand pump for the front air shocks. I want one that doesn't dump the air when you remove the schrader valve from the pump.and has an integrated gauge. Most I saw were 300 PSI... would like one with lower pressure rating so I can get the pressure a little more accurate. I know some folks have suggested Progressive Fork springs but I don't want to go there right now. Thanks

I'm not aware of such a pump since the original Suzuki tool, but I'm not really here for that. Progressive brand springs will preserve the squishy, diving front end feel of the stock progressive rate springs. I recommend some straight rate springs (Sonic are good, and not unnecessarily spendy), to limit dive under braking and make turn-in more precise. Add some cartridge emulators to your wish list to take the harshness out of the damping without giving up control of the front end.

Seriously, finding a pump to keep the air forks going is probably at least half the cost of the new springs. Come to think of it, the cheapest way to get away from the need for the pump is get some PVC pipe and make new preload spacers so you don't need to keep pumping the forks up to maintain preload.

Now, maybe you like the air fork adjustability, that's up to you. I don't miss it.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

That is so hard to do. I got it done a couple times with a small bicycle air pump.
      One pump or maybe even 2 was all it takes.
      You can not unscrew the hose end fast enough to keep the tiny volume of air from escaping.
      Cut some PVC pipe for spacers is easy.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I am pretty happy right now with the stock front suspension. I was just looking for a low PSI pump with a non-leak feature. Harley sells a 0-60 PSI pump with the no-leak feature but was hoping to find some pump with low max and less cost. I may look into rebuilding the front end at some point but it works nicely now just a pain to get both shocks pumped equally. I found one leaked a lot more quickly than the other when i remove the bleed valve. I had to pump it to 30 PSI and then by the time I got the pump valve removed, it ended up at 10 PSI. The other shock was pretty easy to set at 10 PSI.

Comment

Some pocket-sized bicycle pumps have a no-loss connector. Look at your online pedaller outlets. The 0-30psi requirement is a difficult one, though.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I think you nailed it... almost all are 300 PSI except the ones made for a Harley big twin and those are EXPENSIVE! I had one that was low-psi and gave it away with a bike that had air fittings on the shocks... don't recall which one. Wish I had kept hold of that pump.

Comment

Not sure about 0-30psi range but you can find some 0-150 psi pumps for bicycle suspension. searching "low pressure shock pump" I found this-
              Fork and Shock Suspension Pump. Easy servicing with one way check valve that prevents pressure drop when pump is removed.
              sigpic

'81 GS750LX with Katana fairing. Super custom.

Comment

[QUOTE=geol;2326644]I think you nailed it... almost all are 300 PSI except the ones made for a Harley big twin and those are EXPENSIVE!

lots of harley branded pumps on ebay less than 30 bucks.
                I have one, works great
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Set your air compressor regulator to the desired pressure and let it even out.
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                  Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                  Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Works well for me
                    78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
                    82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
                    83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
                    2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
                    Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

I sprang for the Drag Specialties one with a 0-60 psi gauge. Don't remember the number, but it wasn't cheap.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

You are REALLY over-thinking this problem.
                        Originally posted by geol View Post
                        I know some folks have suggested Progressive Fork springs but I don't want to go there right now. Thanks
                        OK, I will not suggest Progressives, I will suggest Sonic springs.

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                        I recommend some straight rate springs (Sonic are good, and not unnecessarily spendy), to limit dive under braking and make turn-in more precise. Add some cartridge emulators to your wish list to take the harshness out of the damping without giving up control of the front end.
                        You can see that I am not the only one that recommends them. Rich Desmond, owner of Sonic Spings, is a member here, I'm sure he would recommend them, too.

Originally posted by geol View Post
                        I am pretty happy right now with the stock front suspension. ... I may look into rebuilding the front end at some point but it works nicely now just a pain to get both shocks pumped equally.
                        Well, since you started this thread, it's obvious that you are NOT "happy with your suspension", at least not all of it. There is really no need to rebuild the front end, especially if your fork seals are good. Drain the fork legs. If you don't remove the air pressure first, there will be some interesting spray patterns on the opposite wall. Remove the handlbars for access to the tops of the forks. Loosen the upper tube clamp. Remove the spring(s) and any spacer(s). Replace the drain plugs. Install the proper amount of 10w fork oil. Slide your new Sonic springs into the tubes. If necessary, cut a spacer of the enclosed tubing that will just barely stick out above the fork tube, put that into place, put the caps back on.

Now, you will ALWAYS have EXACTLY EQUAL air pressure in your fork tubes and will not EVER have to worry about checking or setting the air pressure.

I thought I liked the suspension on the front of my 850. I installed Sonic springs and now it rides even better. About $90 for the springs, another $10 or so for the oil and about an hour of your time. Don't wait.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve has just served up a large helping of steaming-hot TRUTH. Eat up.

In less polite terms, farting around with air pressure is frustrating and futile. Air pressure in forks is unreliable, a great way to wear out your fork seals, and overall a totally Mickey Mouse, doomed solution to the problem of inadequate 35 year old factory springs. You can't make them work right with a better pump -- the whole idea is fundamentally flawed.

If you are rather light -- less than approximately 160 pounds -- ride rather gently, and prefer a plush ride, then Progressive's progressively wound fork springs might be just the ticket. Otherwise, straight-rate fork springs with a rate appropriate to your weight, riding style, and bike, will give you the best possible combination of performance and ride. Once the springing is sorted out, most of us end up with 10W fork oil.

A few here have also added cartridge emulators and fork braces to their GS forks as well, but these aren't all that necessary.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Not being sure how my mind was being read, I will leave that alone. I find the stock front suspension fine and the ride great. I asked about the pump because I checked air pressure and the pressure dumped after removing the air gauge. I attempted to fill and the air dumped after filling to 10 PSI. I filled to 30 PSI and it dumped to 10 PSI and stayed consistent and I have both sides equal and the ride is great. I asked about the pump that has an anti-loss feature and lower scale to make reading it relevant because I intend on keeping what I have now. I am sure you guys know more than me and I am not nearly capable of deciding these things and I guess I just don't want to "eat it up". Sorry if this offended those who order me to do what they think I should.... guess i am just being uncooperative. BTW: I am also a fan of Progressive fork springs and have used them in many of my bikes; vintage and otherwise and I weigh a bit more than 160 lbs. They work for me.

Comment

I bought one of these, changed to a 0-30psi gauge. Easy to use.

sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                              X