Re-installing front wheel GS1100G"L" after tire change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-installing front wheel GS1100G"L" after tire change

New tire mounted on wheel; having difficulty getting speedo drive and spacer in place and lifting wheel to insert axel. How many hands do you have to have? One to keep spacer/speedo drive aligned; one to lift wheel; and one to place axel shaft?
    Any tips to make this a little easier would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Young

When doing a front wheel I use my motorcycle lift to adjust the height of the front end.
    Bike on Center stand ; lift under engine behind front wheel...
    Just slowly lift or lower until the axle lines up...nearly no hands needed...
    takes a bit of time perhaps ; but it is surely better than having to lift it into place, hold it and them thread the axle through all the spacers and wheel
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Kinda like that, but with a Taiwan made hydraulic jack lifting under the headers with a piece of wood to cushion it.
      Use my feet to help if needed, as I am descended from an ape.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Most of us longtime motorcyclists have a folding third gorilla arm installed. Very helpful in these scenarios, and doesn't shed too much.

The rear on a shaftie GS is dead easy (only requires your OEM set of arms), but if you deal with chain drive bikes much, a fourth arm and prehensile eye stalks really help move the project along.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Young View Post
          New tire mounted on wheel; having difficulty getting speedo drive and spacer in place and lifting wheel to insert axel. How many hands do you have to have? One to keep spacer/speedo drive aligned; one to lift wheel; and one to place axel shaft?
          Any tips to make this a little easier would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Young
          Put the axle in a bit at a time, installing spacers as you go. In the case of the front wheel I would insert the axle enough to hang the speedo drive on it, then use my feet to lever the wheel up to the correct height and work the axle through, then install the spacer on the RH side of the bike, then work the axle through the RH fork leg. Trying to hold everything in place at once and insert the axle through everything is impossible (at least for me, without bwringer's 4 arms).

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Place a properly thick piece of wood where the wheel will sit when the tire is mounted. Put the spacers and speedo drive in the sides of the wheel and hold them in with your hand. Roll the wheel up on the block of wood in between the fork legs till the spacers and drive are held in by the fork legs. Use a pry bar or screw driver under the block of wood to lift the wheel till it aligns so you can slide the axle in.

Comment

What Wingsconsin said but I also remove the front fender. Basically lift the front end up enough to roll the wheel into place, place the speedometer into the wheel slots (make sure it is on the left side), slide the axle through far enough to hold the spacer on the right, lower the front to sit lightly on the axle as you finish pushing it through and then sit it down. Tighten everything up.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I use a scissor jack from an old Japanese vehicle. Placed under the front of the engine (oil filter cover area), it will lift the load off the front wheel while you pull the axle. Raise the jack a bit more, there is clearance under the fender to just roll the wheel out the front.

When re-installing, roll the wheel under the front edge of the fender, then lower the jack so the axle hole in the forks lines up with the wheel hub. Hold the speedo drive against the wheel, roll it into place. Push the axle in until it starts to come through on the right side, put the right-side spacer in place, continue pushing the axle into place.

Not sure if that's the same as bwringer's "folding third gorilla arm", but it works for me.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X