GS550T Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550T Tires

Rehabbing a 1981 GS550T and looking for some thoughts / recommendations for tires. The bike sat for a while and came to me with a set of Metzlers dated around 1984 on it. Haven't taken the old tires off yet but according to the manual they are tube tires so that limits me a bit.

Many thanks,
    Joe

Avon Roadriders. The GSR favorite tires.

100/90-19 front
    120/90-17 rear

Get new tubes too.

road riders.jpg
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Or the Shinko Tourmaster 230 for a pretty reasonable price
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Have metzeler sportec klassic couldn't be happier

Comment

They all (Avon, Metzler, Shinko) look like good choices but all are listed as tubless. Not sure how keen I am on mounting tubless tires on rims designed for tube tires. Lots of things I'm willing to take a risk on - calculated or not - but when it comes to literally where the rubber meets the road, I play it cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
            They all (Avon, Metzler, Shinko) look like good choices but all are listed as tubless. Not sure how keen I am on mounting tubless tires on rims designed for tube tires. Lots of things I'm willing to take a risk on - calculated or not - but when it comes to literally where the rubber meets the road, I play it cautious.
            There is no risk in this case. Each of these tires is marked "On tube type rim, fit a tube."

Tubeless tires can be used with or without a tube.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I run the Shinko tourmaster all the time with a tube and no issues at all

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

That 550T might be a good candidate for a set of Shinko 705 dual sport tires for the scrambler look and use. They also ride fine on the highway and handle good on the twisties.
                A 120/90H-17 rear tube type and 110/80R-19(slightly wider) tubeless front(mounted with tube) that Shinko lists may fit up good. Both are H rated(130mph) which is more than the bike's rated top speed of 112mph. Be sure to order new tubes! They'll probably be pretty cracked if tires that old. A set of Shinko 705's shipped to your door would run less than $140.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

I'm running Shinko 700's on my TUX and those are great for a Scrambler application. Handles very well on and off the pavement!
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

550T scrambler?! Those are two words I hadn't thought of using in the same sentence! I plan to use this mostly as my daily commuter...I've got a Honda for the dirt. Some PO really did a number on the carbs and the wiring loom. Once I got those issues worked out I rode a few test miles on the old Metzlers and really liked the way it goes down the road, even on the old tires. In-line 4 just seems like overkill for off-road.

Like the look of the Avons. Riding buddy suggested Michelin Pilot Activs. Shinko 230s are relatively cheap though should the tubless w/ tubes ride turn out to make for a sketchy ride.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                      550T scrambler?! Those are two words I hadn't thought of using in the same sentence! I plan to use this mostly as my daily commuter...I've got a Honda for the dirt. Some PO really did a number on the carbs and the wiring loom. Once I got those issues worked out I rode a few test miles on the old Metzlers and really liked the way it goes down the road, even on the old tires. In-line 4 just seems like overkill for off-road.

Like the look of the Avons. Riding buddy suggested Michelin Pilot Activs. Shinko 230s are relatively cheap though should the tubless w/ tubes ride turn out to make for a sketchy ride.
                      I don't think off road when talking scrambler. I think an every day lighter weight commuter that can tackle some dirt, rougher roads in the country and still be good for day in day out miles with more comfort than a dirt bike...and do highway stretches without winding out the engine. No sketchiness running those tubeless Shinkos with a tube either.
                      Either street or dual sport tires you'll have fun with it.
                      Avons aren't everyone's favorite here...good tire that has some history of defects and IMO overpriced. I've used them when I found them on sale. But then talk tires here and GSR folks like to debate them!
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                        I don't think off road when talking scrambler. I think an every day lighter weight commuter that can tackle some dirt, rougher roads in the country and still be good for day in day out miles with more comfort than a dirt bike...and do highway stretches without winding out the engine. No sketchiness running those tubeless Shinkos with a tube either.
                        Either street or dual sport tires you'll have fun with it.
                        Avons aren't everyone's favorite here...good tire that has some history of defects and IMO overpriced. I've used them when I found them on sale. But then talk tires here and GSR folks like to debate them!
                        Me too... The TUX is great for those dirt road mountain passes that really yield true GEMS of views that are a bit sketchy to take on the smooth tire equipped bikes. It's the perfect bike for any Vermont road from highway to class 4... But that's about as "off road" I'll go... that or a flat field.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                        Originally posted by Hayabuser
                        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Yeah, the high revs at highway speed is the only complaint I have regarding my Honda dual sport twin. Might be interesting to give the GS a shot at some off pavement use. Weight, lack of revs / torque down low would keep me from getting too far off the main tracks...bike's width also to a degree. I'm not much for the push towards these honking big - i.e. heavy - dual-sports in recent years. Like travelling light, nimble and with a small footprint.

Comment

Cowboyup3371,

Hey, I can only find a 550T 120/90 17 rear tire size for the Tour Master in their front tire sizes list. Are you using a 120/90 17 on your rear wheel? Is it listed as a rear wheel and if so where did you buy it? Or have you been using a front tire on the back wheel? Any issues of note if so?

Comment

I think I see why, I have an 18" wheel for a rear wheel on my bike. They do have a 130/90-17 though

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                              X