Dunlop tire pinholes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunlop tire pinholes

My rear tire loses about 5 pounds of pressure a day. The tire is 2 years old. There are 6 pinholes and I can not find any foreign objects that could have caused them. Anyone else ever have this problem ?

Did you hit a porcupine or something?

Sounds like it's time for a new tire.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Last time I went through Chattanooga, there wasn't much cactus to be seen.

Have you taken any trips out west?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No I have not been anywhere near cactus. I assume I just have a defective tire and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with Dunlop tires. I am thinking about trying green slime to plug the holes. Any opinions on this method will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you're going to go that route (for the short term), at least use this:

Prevent flat tires, balance your tires, increase road safety and improve your fuel mileage! Ride-On is the attractive all-in-one solution for the most common tire problems. This tire sealant also helps to maintain tire pressure and improve drivability.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Pump it up to 50psi and spray soapy water all over it. Look for bubbles. Chances are the pinholes don't leak but the bead or valve core does. forget the green slime. Its messy when you replace the tire. Should not need that on a tire that's only 2 years old. Do you know if its got a inner tube ?
            Last edited by bonanzadave; 04-01-2017, 02:18 PM.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I found the pinholes using soapy water at 30 psi. Tubeless and no bubbles at valve core. I have had good success with green slime in my lawn mower but I do not ride it down the road at 60 mph I guess I will bite the bullet and buy a new tire. Thanks to all for your replies.

Comment

If it really is the pinholes and you have a resource for where it came from Id go the defective tire route and see if you can get a new one. I had 3 defective Road Riders that were all replaced by Avon.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                X