No announcement yet.

1980 Suzuki GS1000G front wheel oscillation, wobble or shake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed -- even very low tire pressure won't cause all the issues you report (but it will make them worse). You have multiple problems here, and the fine elements of the GSR Hive Mind above have given you several things to look at and correct.

With vintage machinery, it's never just one thing -- it takes time and experience to adapt your mindset away from "one problem at a time" thinking most useful on newer vehicles.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

So it finally stopped raining and I took the bike out for a ride early Friday evening with 36psi instead of the 20psi that was in the tires. Unless I'm imagining it, the wobble seems to be gone. However, the front fork still makes a single "creak" when coming to a fast , hard stop using mostly front brake. The PO told me he had the front forks upgraded by the dealer (can't remember exactly what he had done) and the rear shocks are modern high-tech units. I must admit, the bike really smooths out bumps unlike my GS850G which had the chrome factory shocks. I think the aftermarket jobs are "progressive". I'm going to now put the ATK fork brack back on since the wobble is pretty much gone.

Mark

Comment

Sorry I over diagnosed. It was a creaking noise. stand by the steering head adjustment though even though it would have nothing to do with a creaking noise. I need to add, when tightening the steering stem nut, loosen up the upper triple clamp bolts so the lower clamp may move freely.
        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
        X