Balancing beads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balancing beads

Has anyone here ever used the ceramic balancing beads?
    E-Z Tire Beads is your source for premium-quality ceramic tire balancing beads that can be used for motorcycle, truck, motor home, 4x4, ATV/UTV tires and more!. We are proudly based in the U.S.A. All of our products are packaged at our facility in Southern California.

There are several threads on here about them...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Probably a product of the awesome search function on the forum. Couldn't find anything.

Comment

Many here use beads - set 'em and forget 'em. There are a few skeptics.... I'm not one.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I was a skeptic till allowing the guy changing tires to use them and now im a believer. 2 OZ. in back tire and 1 OZ. in the front.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I've used them before. Infact my Strom currently has them in there. It's not my prefered way of doing it cause I always have a hell of a time getting the beads out of there to reuse them. A box of 1/4 oz wheel weights that will probably last you a lifetime is 35 dollars from Napa and static wheel balancers are pretty cheap as well.

Comment

The good thing about the balance beads is that you don't have to stick weights to your rims and risk having an unbalanced tyre if they come off.
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                The good thing about the balance beads is that you don't have to stick weights to your rims and risk having an unbalanced tyre if they come off.
                I was always skeptical of them but decided to give them a try in my shiny new wheels. I've got them on order so we'll see what happens. A buddy here has used them for years and says they work.

by soates50, on Flickr
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                  Seems you dont use genuine weights then. Of have non expert people stick them on. Try heading to wreckers and ask them if you can grab some wheel weights. few mins and few bucks with last you a life time. Same thing goes for you Sandy, try and get some genuine wheel weights. even from dirt bikes as the nipples are same size.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                    Seems you dont use genuine weights then. Of have non expert people stick them on. Try heading to wreckers and ask them if you can grab some wheel weights. few mins and few bucks with last you a life time. Same thing goes for you Sandy, try and get some genuine wheel weights. even from dirt bikes as the nipples are same size.
                    Good idea but unfortunately the nearest bike wrecker is a 4 1/2 hour drive away. I've got a few of each type as well as some stickons kicking around but the new sealed wheel bearings have a little too much stiction to do a good job of static balancing right now anyway so I'll give the beads a try. I've read they don't necessarily work that great at super high speeds but that shouldn't be a problem on a stodgy old 1000. LOL.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I've got a set coming in the mail. I'll let ya know.

Comment

Use a engraver and set it at its most vibration setting to shake the beads into tubes. Put a long clear piece of vinyl tubing over the valve stem and fill it with the packets of beads. Vibrate the stem and work the beads into the tubes. Then mount tubes and tires as normal.
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck, I was kind of wondering about that. The local shop guy swears the mags on 80's GS's leak air so he always puts a tube in the tire when I have had tires put on. Looking at the ways you can do tire removal/installs at home I am convinced I can save money on mounting and balancing. If the aluminum mags do really loose air I was wondering if the beads can be used in tubed tires. Apparently so. Has your experience been good?

Comment

Well ive been running tubeless on all my GS mag rims and they don't leak that know of. Had a few get soft in the storage unit, but then again after a few ears setting there they werent flat either. And the urban myth that tires will roll off a rim unless it specifically says TUBELESS is just that. If they rolled off the Texas hill country twisties would already killed me long ago.

Yes the shops are gonna tell you that. How else they gonna sell you tubes???? Use good quality valves stems with the rubber sealing washers for bot sides of the rims. I also put a little smear of RTV on both sides of the rims when installing stems just as a backup.
                            Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-28-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Well ive been running tubeless on all my GS mag rims and they don't leak that know of. Had a few get soft in the storage uni, but then again after a few ears setting there they werent flat either. And the urban myth that tires will roll off a rim unless it specifically says TUBELESS is just that. If they rolled off the Texas hill country twisties would already killed me long ago.

Yes the shops are gonna tell you that. How else they gonna sell you tubes???? Use good quality valves stems with the rubber sealing washers for bot sides of the rims. I also put a little smear of RTV on both sides of the rims when installing stems just as a backup.
                              I've ran mine tubeless since 2001ish. Been fine so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X