1979 gs850 rear tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs850 rear tire

I'm replacing the rear tire on my 1979 850g just wondering whats the widest tire anyone has fitted on there 850, I would love to push it as wide as possible
    It’s my bike I’ll run it in the ground if I want to

There is no point in going "as wide as possible". The wheel will only properly support a certain size tire and the swing arm will limit the width, as well. The largest tire you can safely run is a 130/90-17.

If you just HAVE to have the absolutely widest tire for a "look", you have the wrong bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, 130/90-17.

Any wider and the tire hits the swingarm on the left. It's reaaaaal close as it is.

If you want that "phat meats" look on a GS, you'll need to start with a chain drive bike, assorted spare parts from later bikes, a welder, a sharp pencil, a lathe, some fabrication and engineering skills, etc...
      Last edited by bwringer; 04-05-2018, 01:20 AM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I wasn’t really meaning anything crazy wide, I just wanted to know the widest standard size
        It’s my bike I’ll run it in the ground if I want to

Comment

That might be, but the way you worded the original post just sounded like too many others that ask "how can I fit a 220 tire on my bike?" or some such nonsense. We then have to try (sometimes successfully) to convince them that a wide tire on a narrow wheel simply won't work, as it actually puts less rubber on the road. And you have the added luxury of a hollow swingarm that contains a driveshaft, so there are basically no modifications possible there.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

The original rear tire size was 4.50-17. Very few street tires are made in those old inch size designations nowadays, and 4.50-17 doesn't even exist anymore, so you have to convert.

The closest modern tire size is something like 120/90-17 (the math works out to a width of about 115, actually). The problem is that there are only two companies making 120/90-17 in a rear tire, but there are lots of fantastic options in 130/90-17.

So that's what everyone runs on their GS850G. It's a squidge wider than the original, but works extremely well. But a 130/90-17 runs pretty much as close as you can get to the swingarm on the left -- a 140 definitely wouldn't work.

In case you're wondering, up front you want a 100/90-19. You can sort of make a 110 fit (most hang up on the fender bolts), but it really screws up the handling.

GS850s handle pretty dang well with the correct tire sizes.
            Last edited by bwringer; 04-06-2018, 10:18 PM.
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Picture is nice, Brian, but you really need to post a video, if possible.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by hadaveha View Post
                I'm replacing the rear tire on my 1979 850g just wondering whats the widest tire anyone has fitted on there 850, I would love to push it as wide as possible
                I want a 160 on my 850 so I can do this on it

1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Picture is nice, Brian, but you really need to post a video, if possible.

Oh, all right. Turn your speakers down... The fisheye lens sort of flattens out the lean angles.

Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                    I want a 160 on my 850 so I can do this on it
                    You can do that with a 130...
                    Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      The original rear tire size was 4.50-17. Very few street tires are made in those old inch size designations nowadays, and 4.50-17 doesn't even exist anymore, so you have to convert.

The closest modern tire size is something like 120/90-17 (the math works out to a width of about 115, actually). The problem is that there are only two companies making 120/90-17 in a rear tire, but there are lots of fantastic options in 130/90-17.

So that's what everyone runs on their GS850G. It's a squidge wider than the original, but works extremely well. But a 130/90-17 runs pretty much as close as you can get to the swingarm on the left -- a 140 definitely wouldn't work.

In case you're wondering, up front you want a 100/90-19. You can sort of make a 110 fit (most hang up on the fender bolts), but it really screws up the handling.

GS850s handle pretty dang well with the correct tire sizes.
                      All true. What is very frustrating is using the tire selection guides based on bike make and model.
                      I'm getting grossly misguided when I check in 1982 Suzuki GS1100G, Rear Tire. Forced to choose between Avon or Bridgestone 120/80-17, or weird dead end choices. Bikebandit or J&P Cycles.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The original size provides slightly more nuetral handling. I'm having to buy a new set for mt 1000G in Maine.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                        X