Tire changer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire changer

I'm looking at a used tire changer but this doesn't look to me like it will handle bike tires. The seller says it will but Harbor Freight's current motorcycle attachment looks different.

You guys think this will work as is?

I'm tired of paying a shop to mount tires so figured it's time for one. Never got the hang of the zip tie thing and a 2x4 bead breaker isn't cutting it. Some use spoons I know but maybe if I could watch as one was changed I'd get the technique down. Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback in this used changer. Going to meet the seller this afternoon.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

That tire changer was indeed the same one that is only 43 bucks at HF. I picked it up for 30 and will buy the MC tire attachment at the store for 39. It'll pay for itself within a year.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I also found a motorcycle tire attachment yesterday for 20 bucks. I sold a bike dolly to a guy that had one he didn't use.

Two things I plan to pick up are Mojoblocks

and a Mojolever

It will be a total of $204 spent on all this stuff but the satisfaction of doing these tire changes myself will be nice, even if it takes two years to pay for itself.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Several years ago, I picked up an assortment of spoons. I place a folded towel over my trash barrel to protect the spokes, lay the wheel on the barrel, apply some lube and get to work. Yes, it's probably a bit more work, but since the assortment of spoons only cost about $35, my payback was a LOT quicker. And, with multiple bikes in my stable, along with doing work for others, it's paid for itself LONG time ago.

I am thinking about rigging something up for a bead braker, as that is the only part of the process that is not going too well at the moment.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I tried a big C-clamp. That didn't work. A long board wedged under the back of my van did the trick though. Awkward!
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Several years ago, I picked up an assortment of spoons. I place a folded towel over my trash barrel to protect the spokes, lay the wheel on the barrel, apply some lube and get to work.
            I use a plastic garbage can for the bigger diameter wheels and a plastic 5 gallon bucket for the smaller ones. One tip for those that have never done it is on the rear wheel to work with the sprocket down. The edge of the brake rotor is considerably kinder to knuckles than the sprocket teeth... This pertains more to offroad bikes as you can usually pull the cush drive off on our street machines.

I am thinking about rigging something up for a bead braker, as that is the only part of the process that is not going too well at the moment.
            If you have a solid workbench or access to a wall in your shop you can rig up a 4 bar linkage type like many of the tire changing machines use. I can take pics of what my buddy's machine has for breaking the bead when I am over there if you want. I have to go sometime this coming week to replace a rotten valve stem on my ZX6 rear wheel so you won't have to wait long.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Several years ago, I picked up an assortment of spoons. I place a folded towel over my trash barrel to protect the spokes, lay the wheel on the barrel, apply some lube and get to work. Yes, it's probably a bit more work, but since the assortment of spoons only cost about $35, my payback was a LOT quicker. And, with multiple bikes in my stable, along with doing work for others, it's paid for itself LONG time ago.

I use this for bead breaking works great for me. No need to rig anything up grab it, squeeze the bead and move on to the next step.

I currently just change tires on the floor with some polymer tire spoons called Stubbys. I use the "Fanny packers' that don't have the grips. I may eventually pick up a stand that I can hardmount to the detach garage to make fanagaling the tire/wheel easier but my way currently works as well

For balancing I do a static balance with a HF balance stand I picked up for 30 bucks years ago. All of this equipment has long paid for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                If you have a solid workbench or access to a wall in your shop you can rig up a 4 bar linkage type like many of the tire changing machines use. I can take pics of what my buddy's machine has for breaking the bead when I am over there if you want. I have to go sometime this coming week to replace a rotten valve stem on my ZX6 rear wheel so you won't have to wait long.

Mark
                That would be great, thanks.

I was thinking of something that might mount to the wall under the light switches and kickstand plates, and could fold out of th way. Let's see what he has.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

also don't underestimate the value of proper lube, a gallon (enough for a lifetime plus) of ru-glide is like 14 bucks at your local auto parts outlet, pro tip, put some in a spray bottle...
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I ordered the Mojo things and should have them this week. Impressive customer service from they guy selling those parts. I sent an email asking about the product yesterday morning. By noon had a reply, paid for the product afternoon, and early evening had shipping info with tracking number. All this on Sunday!

I'll post some pics of the setup later this week. My new Shinko tour masters have been losing pressure since they were mounted a few months ago. I took them to a local shop but don't want to do that again. Anyway, I sprayed soapy water around the bead, valve stem area, and soaked the whole tire but cannot find the leak. I plan on removing both wheels, since both lose 4 or 5 psi over night, and dunking into a tub of water to find the leak. I just don't want to do this over and over so plan on having the tire change setup in place to do whatever necessary repairs at that time.

Thanks for the tip on lube. Will have some on hand.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

I am interested as well

Comment

Steve, if you ever get really desperate, try this...these are old car tires taken from old rims using a carjack... using a loaded boat trailer here but I've tried it using the car too.
                        tire-removal2-civic.jpg

The 2x4 lever idea on a wall does not work here for me- the whole shed lifts! even with an old motorcycle wheel.

Comment

I have a No-Mar tire changer. Those Mojo parts look like they are intended to provide some of No-Mar’s good ideas on the much cheaper HF tire changer.

Comment

Couple of years ago I purchased a rear wheel on eBay. Arrived with tire ....really old.....still mounted. No amount of tire spoon levering and 2x4 jacking, and big C clamps...plural... could even begin to break the bead loose. Attached a cut off wheel to my trusty B and D grinder and, mask and goggles in place, I cut enough of the tire away to easily leaver off the thing. Five minutes total.

These days...... My friendly America's Tire Store dismount and remount my motorcycle tires for 10 bucks. I balance em on my Harbor Freight static unit.....easy and cheap.....and done right. Lots of companies that mount tires on various ag equipment can do M C tires / wheels as well. Brake rotors....sometimes..... need to be removed......

That said...... I do like the various parts and pieces shown in posts above......and my garage just might need a few of these guys......

Comment

Since most bike shops are closed on Mondays and I absolutely could not wait one more day LOL, I went to every automotive tire shop in town looking for one who would or could change them. With the wheels and new tires in hand from my GS 1100, i found one mom and pop tire shop that was willing to try. They were able to do the rear tire change but the front was just too small for their machine. After that I just went straight to cycle gear, power sports place or another MC shop.

Spoons work, I get it. Sweat, determination, lumber and immovable objects to pry on help, sure. But, I'll be ready to put this cheap HF setup to the test.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Working...
                              X