Need new tires, where to go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need new tires, where to go...

I would like to try Avons, as they worked well on my CB1100F. I have Dunlop D404s now, but want something else. Any recommendations are appreciated as well as deals.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I got my Avons for my 79 GS1000 at Dennis Kirk http://www.denniskirk.com/avon
      Last edited by zakdaddy99; 01-19-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

They got a wide selection and have huge turnover so the tires are fresh. Most times with tires you can get free shipping and since your in California it will take only a day or so.
        1981 Suzuki GS250T
        1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
        1985 Suzuki GS550E
        2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Ok, been checking your suggestions. What about BikeBandit? Shipping is free, I never dealt with them, but the prices seem in line. I have been shipped old tires before from someone else, don't want that to happen again.

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

i have used motorcycle superstore for avons with good results, for another option. I avoid the bandit, but as you are in cali it they might be a better option for you...
            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Some of the Hondas from that era seem a bit picky about the tires. I got a new front tire for my 85 CB650SC & it developed a deceleration wobble. Ended up replacing the new tire with a different one.
              Might be useful to do a search on a CB forum to see what is popular.

Motorcycle Superstore is now part of J&P Cycles. https://www.jpcycles.com/
              +1 on using them for tires.

Just my 2 cents…

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                i have used motorcycle superstore for avons with good results, for another option. I avoid the bandit, but as you are in cali it they might be a better option for you...
                I ordered many, many tires from them over the years, but Motorcycle Superstore is long gone, dead and buried. In 2015 they were assimilated and euthanized by J&P Cycles.
                Since 1979, J&P Cycles has been the go-to for die-hard motorcyclists who know aftermarket expertise when they see it. Learn more about our stores & online shop!

J&P is reputable, but I haven't used them. Worth a look, anyway.

My usual go-tos nowadays are:

American MotoTire
                America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.

Great prices, huge selection, free fast shipping, and they sell MASSIVE amounts of moto tires.

AMT is great if you need tubes or if you need something obscure. And they're one of the only sites that lets you pull up a tire size and see all options. For some damfool reason, none of the other websites make it easy to order tubes; they're usually only listed under a single size due to asinine database design limitations; tubes, in case you haven't noticed, are made of rubber. Rubber is, of course, famed for being stretchy, so motorcycle tubes all cover a range of tire sizes.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has reliably great prices and a very tasty 5% rewards program. Yes, they sell street/vintage tires, not just dirt and dual-sport stuff.
                Rocky Mountain ATV/MC is your one-stop shop for motocross, ADV, UTV, ATV, dirt bike and street bike gear. We carry parts, accessories, riding gear, tires, oil and more.

They're also known as "Rider's Domain", formerly known as "Jake Wilson".

Revzilla is also well worth a look, especially if you're already in their 5% rewards program.
                Motorcycle jackets, helmets & gear with fast free shipping, HD video reviews, cash back and no-hassle returns. RevZilla offers the best service in the industry on motorcycle gear.

Revzilla merged with Cycle Gear about a year ago, but so far there have been no noticeable changes to their stellar prices, service and speed.

All are high-volume sellers so you'll generally get nice fresh buns.

Dennis Kirk and Bikebandit are usually overpriced in my experience, but sometimes you can catch a sale. I never really bother to check either any more. DK's website is a bog-slow dumpster fire, and they tack on an extra $5 a tire shipping fee just because they want to. (Just checked on a sample set of Shinkos, and yep, $20 more for the set at DK than at RM. I have no idea who still orders from these bozos anymore or why.)

BB's site is also a hot mess, and I can't stand their practice of obfuscating part numbers so I generally won't order from them out of principle.

Also, find out and factor in where each of these are usually shipping from. RM has a warehouse in Kentucky, so I almost always get my goodies here in Indiana next day using their free shipping. That's a mighty nice little benefit sometimes.
                Last edited by bwringer; 01-20-2019, 12:20 PM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Bike Bandit is here in San Diego and there is a Competition Accessories here, too. Freshness is top priority for me, so I am gonna pop by these places and see what's in stock. Thinking of going with the Avon VM26.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                    Bike Bandit is here in San Diego and there is a Competition Accessories here, too. Freshness is top priority for me, so I am gonna pop by these places and see what's in stock. Thinking of going with the Avon VM26.
                    Interesting that you asked for suggestions but then dismissed them.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hardly. I have not taken any action other than to gather information and follow up. Maybe I haven't behaved according to your rulebook?

Comment

I'll also vouch for chapmoto.com. Not only did they have the best price, they had my tires to me within three days and overnighted a tube free of charge after sending the wrong size with my order. The date codes where less than three months old as well.
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Since my priority is fresh tires, I found a place called 8 Ball tires locally, that was founded by Bike Bandit's creator. They matched the lowest price I could find and I was able to pick up some Avon AM26 tires. The date codes were both mid 2018. Thanks to all that responded.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                            Since my priority is fresh tires, I found a place called 8 Ball tires locally, that was founded by Bike Bandit's creator. They matched the lowest price I could find and I was able to pick up some Avon AM26 tires. The date codes were both mid 2018. Thanks to all that responded.
                            One of the more knowledgeable guys in the concours owners group speaks very highly of the AM26 tires for the C10 concours. A young guy I know that asked me about tire choices for his concours, contacted me recently to tell me how happy he is that I passed on the suggestion to try the AM26. Thinking of going that way next time for my concours. Let us know what you think of them on your bike.

Comment

Working...
                            X