Fork Oil #15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Oil #15?

I know, another fork oil thread. I'm confused and probably overthinking this. My forks are apart, thoroughly cleaned, lowers polished. I got new OEM seals, cap o-rings, and copper washers for the bottom bolts and drain plugs from a local Suzuki shop. I wasn't initially going to replace the teflon rings, but think I will, for piece of mind. They look good to me, but what do I know? Anyway, my manual says to use fork oil #15. The bike and the manual are 37 years old. So what is the modern conventional wisdom on fork oil? Does #15 mean 15W? I asked the "kids" working the parts counter at the Suzuki shop about what's the modern thing to use. They said 10W fork oil, but they were out of it. Someone please set me straight.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

10w for all-around normal riding, 15w if you're a pretty fast sport rider and willing to give up a little compliance for better control and stability when learned over.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Rich is the resident expert here, but I will also vouch for 10w oil in the forks.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
        10w for all-around normal riding, 15w if you're a pretty fast sport rider and willing to give up a little compliance for better control and stability when learned over.
        I am firmly in that "sport rider" category, and I found that straight rate springs from Rich ( sonicsprings.com ), in an appropriate rate for my bike and weight, with 10W oil to be the best combination. You really lose a little too much compliance with 15W, I think, at least on crappy public roads.

You get better front end traction under hard braking and accelerating hard out of corners with 10W as opposed to the heavier stuff. Then again, if your local roads are perfect and/or you do track days at a track where cars haven't washboarded the pavement all to hell, you might enjoy the firmer control of 15W.

When all I could find was progressive fork springs and I needed monster preload just to get sag in the ballpark, 15W was needed to keep things under control. Once I was able to get proper springing, I was able to move to 10W and enjoy better compliance.

In the end, it's somewhat a matter of personal preference as well.
        Last edited by bwringer; 01-27-2019, 12:10 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I will go with the 10W fork oil, at least to establish a base line for myself. Anything will be an improvement over the few ounces of probably 37 yr old sludge that I emptied out of the forks. I'm quite certain there wasn't enough oil in them, though I didn't measure what came out. One seal has been weeping for years, I'm just finally getting to do the full tear down and new seals. The stock springs are well within their service limits and I'm not going to change them. I want to get a good feel for what the bike should ride like with everything stock before I start to change anything up. Thanks all.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            The stock springs are well within their service limits and I'm not going to change them. I want to get a good feel for what the bike should ride like with everything stock before I start to change anything up. Thanks all.
            In my opinion, that is not a good move.

Although the "service limits" (length) are apparently "good", those springs were not of sufficient strength when they were new, hence the air caps, so you could add air. Over the years, those inadequate springs have not gotten any stronger, so you will not be getting a good feel for what the ride should be like.

It is highly-recommended that, while you have everything torn apart, to just bite the bullet, get a new set of springs (cost is less than $100), then put it all together ONE TIME and enjoy what the ride is REALLY supposed to be like.

Go to the Sonic Springs website, use their rate calculator to determine which one might be best for you, make your purchase.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve, I value opinion greatly. I'm sure you're right. However, after adding up all the costs of parts I've bought and still need to buy to overhaul the caliper, MC, new brake line, fork seals and other bits, new valve cover gasket after I do the valve adjustment, upgrading the springs is not is the cards for this year's winter tear down. I'm assuming(dangerous, I know), that I would be able to swap to progressives in the future without taking the forks apart, maybe even leaving them on the bike?
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                Steve, I value opinion greatly. I'm sure you're right. However, after adding up all the costs of parts I've bought and still need to buy to overhaul the caliper, MC, new brake line, fork seals and other bits, new valve cover gasket after I do the valve adjustment, upgrading the springs is not is the cards for this year's winter tear down. I'm assuming(dangerous, I know), that I would be able to swap to progressives in the future without taking the forks apart, maybe even leaving them on the bike?
                Yes, you could swap to "progressives", but for the same money, you could go to straight-rate Sonic Springs and get an even BETTER ride. (See bwringer's post #4.) The only difficulty in leaving the forks on the bike is in the accuracy of setting the oil level. The book calls for the measurement to be done with the springs removed and the tubes vertical and fully-collapsed. Easiest done when the forks are removed. It's not all that hard to remove them one at a time, which keeps the triples engaged, along with the headlight bucket.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks Steve. I misunderstood the distinction between progressive vs. straight rate. I clearly have a lot to learn. Going to leave as is for now.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

A little insight on different fork oils.

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid
                    -1980 GS1100 LT
                    -1975 Honda cb750K
                    -1972 Honda cl175
                    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Wow
                      Who knew there was so much to know?! Thanks for the info.

Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                        If you look at that long list, you will see some interesting stuff. Some 5w oils are thicker than other 7w oils, which can make tuning "interesting". Best suggestion would be to find a brand that is readily available in your area or from your favorite online store. Stick with that brand if you decide to to any viscosity changes.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          If you look at that long list, you will see some interesting stuff. Some 5w oils are thicker than other 7w oils, which can make tuning "interesting". Best suggestion would be to find a brand that is readily available in your area or from your favorite online store. Stick with that brand if you decide to to any viscosity changes.

Will do Steve, thanks. And thanks TomR for the great article. You guys are the best.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                          X