Progressive suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive suspension

I guess Progressive suspension is out of the fork spring business. Their website doesn't show them anymore and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what other models the progressive springs I took out of my 83' 1100ES fit. Anyone have access to one of Progressives old catalogs?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Fairly comprehensive list here.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I run them on the front of the Bandit. Probably won't ever need to replace them, but I have run their springs in more bikes than any other spring. I know most folks prefer straight rate and for solid reasons (I ran those on my VMax and on the 1150), but I like the way Progressive springs feel, even if it is merely due to some nostalgic sense of how a bike should be. My days of running a bike even 8/10s on the street are over, so they suit me fine.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Fairly comprehensive list here.
        http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900024451
        Thank you sir. I was surprised to find out Progressive suspension has stopped production, low sales I guess.
        Rob
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Once people figured out how much better straight rate springs work and started sharing that information on the intarwebnet tubes, it was only a matter of time.

I ran Progressive springs for years when that's all I could find or knew about. I just used monster preload in order to get sag in the ballpark, but the spring rate was still too soft. Once I installed a set of Sonic Springs , it was pretty much an instant revelation. I rolled up to the stop sign at the end of my block, hit the front brake, and immediately noticed dramatically less brake dive.

I never really figured out why Progressive would not list the actual spring rate ranges, lengths, and diameters so you could choose a rate range that would work best for you. There's nothing wrong with the concept of progressively wound springs, but by only listing one "universal" spring for any given bike, they made sure the springs wouldn't work that well for a lot of people.
          Last edited by bwringer; 02-22-2019, 09:38 AM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Once people figured out how much better straight rate springs work and started sharing that information on the intarwebnet tubes, it was only a matter of time.

I ran Progressive springs for years when that's all I could find or knew about. I just used monster preload in order to get sag in the ballpark, but the spring rate was still too soft. Once I installed a set of Sonic Springs , it was pretty much an instant revelation. I rolled up to the stop sign at the end of my block, hit the front brake, and immediately noticed dramatically less brake dive.

I never really figured out why Progressive would not list the actual spring rate ranges, lengths, and diameters so you could choose a rate range that would work best for you. There's nothing wrong with the concept of progressively wound springs, but by only listing one "universal" spring for any given bike, they made sure the springs wouldn't work that well for a lot of people.
            I have Progressives in my 750 that were done 7 years ago....every bike since then has gotten Sonics....much better.
            No signature

Comment

From what I can see they are still in business.

Even though they are a competitor I would not have been happy to see them go under.

Steel tariffs have made things tougher though, so I expect to see some shakeout in the business, or companies moving production out of the country.
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                Even though they are a competitor ...
                That brought up a memory of a health spa that used to be here in town. The owner did his own commercials and one of his lines was "At Holiday Health Spa, we have many competitors, but we have no competition."

I am happy to be one of your customers, Rich.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                  From what I can see they are still in business.

Even though they are a competitor I would not have been happy to see them go under.

Steel tariffs have made things tougher though, so I expect to see some shakeout in the business, or companies moving production out of the country.

Yes, they're still in business but just not selling the fork springs.
                  Rob

Comment

Sorry to hijack the post.. Anyone knows a reseller of linear springs in Europe? All I see is progressive springs (hagon, Hyperpro, Wilbers).

I am in doubt which way to go. If it is too hard/expensive to get linear springs I'll have to go progressive. Don't want to spend top money for my old gs550.

Comment

Originally posted by Luuk View Post
                      Sorry to hijack the post.. Anyone knows a reseller of linear springs in Europe? All I see is progressive springs (hagon, Hyperpro, Wilbers).

I am in doubt which way to go. If it is too hard/expensive to get linear springs I'll have to go progressive. Don't want to spend top money for my old gs550.
                      You will not go far wrong with Hagon I am sure sonic are good but import duties and tax make stuff from USA expensive.
                      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                      past bikes. RF900
                      TL1000s
                      Hayabusa
                      gsx 750f x2
                      197cc Francis Barnett
                      various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by Luuk View Post

Ohlins doesn't have the right size?

We ship to the Netherlands, but it is expensive. $45 for shipping, so the total would be $139.95. Don't know how that compares to your other options.

The progressive brands you mention are good quality, and while not quite the equal of a linear set will still be a huge improvement over stock.
                        Last edited by RichDesmond; 03-14-2019, 08:29 AM.
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Can't even pay for better advice than that!
                          Rob

Comment

I see my post didn't go through ��
                            But thanks for the quick reply guys. With customs etc it would be around 155 euro. Hyperpro doesn't have them for a gs550. Now waiting for a respons from Ohlins. If I go the hedgehog route you can expect an email Rich ��
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2019, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X