Deleting air fittings on GS1100EZ forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleting air fittings on GS1100EZ forks

I'm switching to Sonic springs, emulators, deleting anti-dive and air assist. Was figuring on maybe tapping and plugging the air holes in the upper fork tubes and doing away with the threaded fittings. But I'll need some sort of spacer to put around both fork tubes to keep the headlight bracket in the proper location. I searched extensively but could not find any mention of what guys are using for this. I'm thinking a section of a black ABS pipe fitting the appropriate length and diameter. Other ideas? Thanks
    1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
    2000 XR650R, plated

I would certainly not tap and plug the hole in the forks; you'd need to somehow get the plug screw flush on the outside (so you can remove and install the forks) and flush on the inside (so the springs don't hang up on the screw). I don't see a good way to do that.

A nice neat fast TIG weld might work for plugging the hole, but welding on fork legs, especially with that thick chrome in the way, does not strike me as a good idea.

I've heard of people using JB Weld to plug these holes. I don't know how successful this has been. You'd need to pay attention to preventing squeeze-out inside.

It might be better to modify the collars to plug them (add a plug, retap, weld closed, whatever), replace the interior o-rings, then put them back into place with the fittings turned out of view.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I understand the "no additional air" concept, I also have Sonic springs and emulators, but I don't have an 1100E. As I recall, you have a hole in the side of the fork tube that connects to a link to the other fork, so air pressure is always equal. There is nothing wrong with that concept, certainly nothing that would require plugging the hole. What's wrong with just leaving it the way it is?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd prefer to get rid of the unneeded fittings and tubes, declutter that zone. I know I've read on here of guys successfully plugging these, just couldn't find the posts using the search function. Shouldn't be too hard to measure tube thickness and grind the plugs so they don't intrude into the tube and interfere with spring travel. Outside could be filed flush so they slide through the clamps...
        2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          ...and flush on the inside (so the springs don't hang up on the screw)...
          Don't know for sure, but that hole is likely high enough that it's spacer there, not spring.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I'm planning on putting my EZ back on the road this spring. I broke the plastic tube that equalizes the air between the forks in an accident. I've bought the complete set up to return it to stock. I even have the special air pump to fill it.

I have Racetech .9 straight rate springs installed. I plan on running with 10 lbs of pressure, as recommended by the 1982 issue of Cycle World (even though Suzuki says no more than 7).

I'm not expecting any really noticeable improvements in handling (it's been 2 years), I just figure I spent the money on the parts, why not use them?

Am I wrong? Are there any downsides?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

You won't need any air pressure in the forks if you have decent springs in there.

Air pressure was a sad band-aid needed only because the stock springs were so inadequate.

Honestly, you'll probably notice a dramatic difference if you're used to the sagged-out junk stock springs.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                Don't know for sure, but that hole is likely high enough that it's spacer there, not spring.
                That air hole in the 1100E forks is a little further down. It's actually below the oil level when the forks are collapsed all the way to set oil level. If you're setting oil level with the forks off the bike, you have to cover the hole with a finger while the forks are collapsed.

There's a stain or two from 1100E fork work on my garage floor... I swear that stuff is liquid Houdini. No matter what, it seems to find a way to escape.
                Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  That air hole in the 1100E forks is a little further down. It's actually below the oil level when the forks are collapsed all the way to set oil level. If you're setting oil level with the forks off the bike, you have to cover the hole with a finger while the forks are collapsed...
                  First gen Kawasaki Concours is like that, only bike I know of that had the fork oil level spec'd with the tubes extended. Those tubes stuck up about 2" from the top triple though, and the hole was right above the lower one. Do the GS1100 forks stick up above the top triple??
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                    First gen Kawasaki Concours is like that, only bike I know of that had the fork oil level spec'd with the tubes extended. Those tubes stuck up about 2" from the top triple though, and the hole was right above the lower one. Do the GS1100 forks stick up above the top triple??
                    No, top of tube is level with top triple.
                    2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

I used just enough JB's weld to the holes. No squeezing out on the inside and smooth on the outside. No leaks in 5 years. Geez! Has it been 5 years since I did my refurb?
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        I used just enough JB's weld to the holes. No squeezing out on the inside and smooth on the outside. No leaks in 5 years. Geez! Has it been 5 years since I did my refurb?
                        I knew I had seen this somewhere before...

5 years is just the blink of an eye around here. I remember eagerly waiting for my 1983 GS850G to turn 25 so it would be a "true" vintage bike.
                        Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          Nice, thanks for the response
                          2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Ok, just to follow up on this. I used an 8-32 NC tap which was perfect for the air holes. Then used 3/16" 8-32 set screws and threaded them in with a coating of JB weld. Made sure I didn't thread them in far enough to enter the inside of the fork tube. Let the JB weld set up and used a fine file on the outside of the set screws to get them flush with the fork tube. Perfect, no way are those going to leak!
                            2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Working...
                            X