No announcement yet.

balancing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright so I installed the beads. I read and read and read on various websites and watched a bunch of videos and ... was left almost as confused as when I started.

The bike felt just fine without doing anything but mounting the tire and my tire DID NOT come with a dot. The idea and physics behind the centrifugal balancing seemed inherently valid??

Mostly what I got from 5 days of reading different forums was .. there were a bunch of people who tried them and swore by them and a bunch of people who dismissed it as snake oil without having tried it soooooo

What could go wrong I thought ... I will give it a shot and if it feels wonky .. as much as it would suck .. I could take the wheel off, break the bead and stick a vacuum cleaner nozzle in there.

AND .. for maybe only the third time ever I could contribute to the group instead of taking.

I will start with .. this is ALL seat of pants and I come from a lineage that has been known to produce round bubble butts so your butts experience may vary.

Keep in mind, as I previously posted .. I had gotten the bike up to 80 on the speedo (I think my speedo registers about 4mph fast) with no ill effects with no balancing and I tried to make the bike shudder doing things I had read others complain about. I couldn't force a wobble or tire out feeling no matter how I tried

I purchased an MC kit on Ebay from this place for about $15
    E-Z Tire Beads is your source for premium-quality ceramic tire balancing beads that can be used for motorcycle, truck, motor home, 4x4, ATV/UTV tires and more!. We are proudly based in the U.S.A. All of our products are packaged at our facility in Southern California.

I had it before I received the tire but I had also bought a tire tube with beads already installed that I did not use.

I put the beads in this morning. I contacted the company and it was suggested that I put 2oz in the rear. The kit comes with a small bottle with nozzle, a small section of hose, Very basic instructions, a valve removal tool and a 1 oz and 2 oz sealed bag of Magic beads.
    2oz of beads doesnt look or feel like much so I was wondering how much of an effect it could have.

I positioned my valve stem at about 4 oclock and after removing the valve core I attached the small hose and snipped the nozzle on the little bottle. The nozzle already had a hole but it was not large enough. Note .. dont make a huge hole because to much product can come out at once and can potentially get stuck at the valve. I opened it up just enough so I could tickle the product in.

I read post after post about how hard it was to put this stuff in. WHY!? With the bike on the center stand the valve core removed and the valve at 4 oclook I attached the little bottle to the hose and instead of trying to dump it wholesale into the valve I held the bottle at less than 45 degrees and tapped it against the edge of my disk. Every now and again I might hold the bottle nozzle up and pump it some to make the air gently go in and out.

I was reinstalling the valve core in about 5 minutes. It was truly a nothing.

Fill the tire up and off I go. I set off toward pebble beach which will take me through the mountains and has some fair curves. It nice because it takes a couple of miles to get there so I would warm up the tire.

At first .. I couldnt tell any difference. I read that people heard a sloshing sound from the beads. They must be putting in a hell of a lot of beads because walking the bike out of my car port I didnt hear anything and when I got home I put my ear near the rear wheel and turned it slowly and still couldnt hear anything.

The first 3 miles or so is pretty much going between 35-45 MPH and it "felt" the same as every other time I have ever rode the bike. Same as yesterday with a new unbalanced tire and same as before the tire change. Same as virtually every other motorcycle I have ever ridden.

Then I got to the open part of my trip. I dont know if you ever had a car that seems to settle in at a certain speed and actually squat but its kind of what happened to the bike. Suddenly at about 55mph .. the bike got real quiet. It was actually a little weird. As I approached 55 it really did just smooth out.

I went about 5 miles over the mountain and took the turns a bit easy because I didn't know what to expect and the tires will make me feel better with a little more scrub time but .. 60-70 mph upright and bent left and right and the bike felt great.

Made my u turn in the parking lot and headed back and took the turns a little more aggressively. I had read that if you dip into turns with beads the bike want to get upright. Truth is .. I dont think this old bike is taut enough to pick up those kind of nuances with the addition of 2 oz of material

I passed home and jumped on the highway. Same experience .. climbing the speedo on the on ramp and about 50mph it settles in nicely. I get the bike up to around 85mph and hold it for about 2 miles or so. Doing fine but .. the bike is going to vibrate because of what it is at 85 anyway but I didnt feel anything squirrely.

Figured I would go for a little more and touched the 90mph on my speedo and suddenly .. Weird stuff happens and it starts to react badly. I figured I had hit its shortcoming speed!!! The beads are gonna send me into the cactus!!

Opps .. I ran into reserve!! It was sputtering out and that is what I felt. Had nothing to do with the beads. At 85 I reach down to play with my pingle and off we go again. I never got lower than say 70 while on the highway and when leaving the off ramp I purposely brought it down quickly. Another theory I had read is that when you decelerate quickly things would go bad. I don't know .. didn't happen to me.

I rode home on the surface streets whipping in and out of traffic at various speeds and being abusive to my throttle and brakes because it was damned fun but .. except for the fact that above 50 the bike just changes to this benign creature .. I noticed no ill effects.

In the end .. I will leave a bit more confusion. Would lead weights have made the ride noticeably better in the 0-45 range? I dont know. It didnt ride any worse than it did before and since my memory wont go back to when I owned almost the same bike in the late 70's I dont know how good that band was. My old tire was pretty well shot so who knows.

I will say this. Here are things I read. Deceleration will cause an issue. Didn't happen to me, Bumps will throw off the whole thing, didnt happen to me, Leaning over aggressively will be thwarted .. didnt happen to me. Its a pain to install, didnt happen to me, it can clog your valve and cause a flat .. we shall wait and see.

The only thing my butt ride felt was that at highway speed it was noticeably more mild. In normal parts of the country where highway speeds are about 60-70 .. it would be golden. Were I still in NYC I would think I just discovered the holy grail. I rode 50 miles today in different conditions from stopped to registered 90 and it felt fine.

So there you have it .. another anecdotal report. When I have 6000 miles on the tire I will report back!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The 230 does wiggle a little, but it's nothing to worry about.
      Just hold the bars lightly, maintain light throttle, let the bike pick its own path.

That is funny .. back in the day when some of my freinds were getting into riding and they would have the first expereince with the bridge grates and freak I would tell them

The bike knows what its doing .. so long as you dont F it up it will be fine. Just hold the bars lightly and enjoy the vibration.

Comment

First thing is the grooved pavement, the first time I hit it, I liked to have sh...tted in my pants. I was new to bikes anyway & didn't realize what had happened. Within a few mi. I realized don't get excited, don't slow down drastically, just keep going with the bike & things will be all right. Now the beads, like others have said, I did a lot of reading before I decided to try them. Like Boriqua, I found most everyone who had tried them, liked them & had good luck with them. Most everyone who didn't like them, had never tried them, just knew they wouldn't work. It was a surprise to me, but one of our local bike shops only used beads for balancing tires & I never remember folks coming back & complaining about a tire that was out of balance. I finally got on board with the beads as has one of my closest buddies, neither of us have found, felt, seen, nor heard anything out of the ordinary. I don't know how they work, but I'm completely pleased with them.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Is this why I've seen tire change shops thump the sidewall of the tire on both sides with a mallet, to make sure the bead is seated all the way? Makes sense I think.
          hammers? mmm there might be a technique but My First DIY tire on with no leaks but "thump-thump-thump" at low speeds-(the tire's "rim line was definitely wrong)... I deflated, hammered, reinflated, soaped more,squeezed with straps, in every possible combo and sequence and even went to the "gas-station-that-had-an-air-pump" . On and on the fruitless struggle..finally I gave up and thumbled to my friendly local mechanic -he just applied more air. POP!

POP! that's the sound I want to hear. The only tires I've had that ever went on without a good strong POP, started leaking at the bead a few months later so I take it as important now.
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-28-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

That popping sound is good to hear but since I started going tubeless on my 79 1000E wheels, I never get a "pop" sound. They do seem to seal up OK, just not the pop I would like to hear. I believe I am on my 3rd set of tires without tubes and no problems yet.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
              That popping sound is good to hear but since I started going tubeless on my 79 1000E wheels, I never get a "pop" sound. They do seem to seal up OK, just not the pop I would like to hear. I believe I am on my 3rd set of tires without tubes and no problems yet.
              I was popless as well. I sprayed both beads with soapy water and put on the ratchet strap. I did over inflate and then come down to spec thinking it would help seat. Just an intuition thing with no basis. I brought it up to about 38lbs then lowered it to 29. The beads just kind of slipped into position with no sound. Will admit .. I was a little disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                Pretty normal; they usually sort of ooze into place with no pop on wheels converted to tubeless.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Huh! well well that's interesting. The BT45s went onto my 650 tubeless rims with POPS (front and back). The Avon roadriders didn't on the same rims and their beads leaked after a month or so...trying to clean them up and reset them did not last long. (and they started to microcrack... )

the Hondas(tubeless alloy rims) with Duros and Shinkos popped. I think even the gsx400E (alloy non-tubeless rims) with tubes inside the next set of Duro tubeless tires popped...
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-29-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I don't think the "pop" means anything. I've put tires on bikes, cars, trucks, tractors, & sometimes they pop, sometimes they just ease out. There should be a line, or strip, on the tire, within 1/4" or less, from the edge of the wheel. Spin or roll the wheel & be sure this line is a uniform distance from the wheel, all the way around. If that little line gets slightly closer to the rim at any point, at that point, the tire is not completely seated. Just my opinion.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                    X