Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000ET front end overhaul.

Well, its finally going to happen.

After 10 years of sitting unloved in the back of the garage the GS1000ET is top of the list to sort for 2019. First up is the front forks. The tubes are pitted, seals have blown depositing oil all over the brakes and front wheel. All the NOS parts are secured....

The issue for me is the fork oil. What the heck do you do? Manual gives quantity and weight of oil but the local bike shops dont supply fork oil as in weight. Only fork oil.

So what do people do nowadays?

Cheers SB

Surely they will have 10w printed on the bottles some place?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

When my local Suzuki shop told me they were out of it and couldn't tell me when they have it, I found 10WT fork oil at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-55901-...Y3J0ZQCN9VK5AN
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Seriously, fork oil is one of the tune-up variables.

I don't see springs in your parts layout on the table. Hope you are not going to re-use the stock items?
        Check into replacements from Sonic Springs, unless you have a vendor over there that sells straight-rate springs.

Depending on your gravitational attraction and riding style, something in the .95 to 1.0 spring rate would probably work, then add the proper amount of 10w fork oil and enjoy the ride.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Funny thing, I picked up a quart of 15w for $5 at an "outlet" store which generally has stuff from stores that close or old stock that gets liquidated. If you need it NOW I'd be looking at an independent shop (non dealer) since they tend to do a better job at helping out DIY folks. Don't forget, ATV's also have suspensions so you might want to drop by one of those for a look. As with many other things, eBay is your friend and a large chain type auto store can usually get something like that in a couple of days, Wallyworld probably as well.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Cheers Guy's for the suggestions on oil.

Yes, it sounds daft but the three bike shops I've been in the fork oil they were selling didn't have a weight on it.

As for the springs, I will measure the length and see if they are within spec. If they are I will re-use them as she was handling like a dream before. If they are out of spec then I will have to source new springs but I have no idea where I would start looking. I will cross that bridge when I get there. (probably Wednesday if I can get the right oil.)

Don't forget that the ET model had air suspension plus the oil.

Let the work commence.
            Last edited by Suzuki Mad; 04-06-2019, 09:05 PM. Reason: Added extra.

Comment

Motul and Silkolene make fork oil in all grades, what kind of bike shop have you been in ?
              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Fork oil is like snake oil.
                For SAE 10 fork oil, I use ATF. In the Yamahas I'm using a synthetic 5W40 car oil.
                Meh.
                Who cares? It works and I haven't planted a tree with my face yet, so it must be sticking to the road ok.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Picked some 10Wt fork oil up in the shop I get my bikes MOT'd of all places, today, so that's progress.

Also managed to get one of the top cap's undone in the yokes without damaging it do that was also a bonus.

The rest will have to wait till another day when I have time to spend on her. She's waited this long another few days won't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                  X