Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork Seals. OEM verses aftermarket kits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Seals. OEM verses aftermarket kits.

#5 is now 51153-27c20 , which seem to also include #6 sine that has the same part number now.

But that is not my question.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Over the years I have gotten after market fork seals, say, MotionPro or what ever DennisKirk carried at the time.

Sometimes they would last 2 or 3 season,
    or in more recent years would be leaking before the 2nd season and slobbering pretty good by the end of that season.

Not any rust on the tubes.

So I though maybe I was damaging the seals on installation, so last time I spent the money (garsch) to get the driver tool (41mm for GK), with no better results. Getting wet by end of 1st season, and now slobbering early in 2nd season.

Okay
    Okay
    I will follow the experienced, wise, knowledgeable advise of the learned folks here, and get OEM this this time.

So my question #1 is:
    I see one part number for the seal (#5), and the revised part number seems to include that retainer spring thing. But I am not asking about the spring retainer clip thing.

But how does this OEM seal (#5) compare to my memory of there being a ring/washer and then a seal and then another ring/washer and then that retainer spring thing......?
    Are the aftermarket ones that much different than the OEM,. the OEM just one part....? and I dont use the ring/washer(s)...?

And maybe I need to also ask Question #2:
    Should I be putting the seal over the top of the tube (without the cap obviously).....
    or
    ... should I be putting the bottom of the tube thru the seal.... ?
    Last edited by Redman; 04-08-2019, 12:37 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Maybe the OEM seal is taller. Can you measure the distance where the seal bottom out on and the retainer ring groove on the fork leg? Then see if it matches the seal height. i had to go back to the 850 parts fiche to see the ring you are talking about... https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...47e/front-fork And where are ure OEM seals. in that pic all i see are "leak proof" seals.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I used OEM on my 1150. I unknowingly installed one upside down and it leaked after one or two rides.
        No mention was made of orientation in the factory or Haynes manual. Only after I studied the shape of the seal did I notice an orientation.
        After I flipped it things have been fine. You do a lot more miles a year then I do however.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

OEM fork seals, without question, last the longest. Well worth the very minor added expense.

"Leak Proof" brand seals never last long, but they actually can seal better than others for a while if you have somewhat janky forks. And they're soft and easy to change. I'd reserve Leak Proof brand for corrosion-challenged ratbikes.

Also, I think you're just seeing a glitch in the fiche matrix you're looking at. I'm seeing different part numbers for the seal and the wire retaining clip at my usual source:

Shop online for OEM Front Fork (Gs1100gk2/Gkd) parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS1100GK, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-595-4063

5..OIL SEAL
          51153-27C20 (the original number is 51153-49440; one digit different than the clip)
          $9.26

6..RING, OIL SEAL STOPPER
          51156-49440
          $3.28

And you install the seal from the top. You'll damage it if you try to go from the bottom and work it past the teflon sliders and such at the bottom.

If you're worried about roughness on the forks, grab a plastic grocery bag from the ample supply found in every kitchen, slide it over the fork, and apply some fork oil to the whole mess; it'll be slipperier-n-snot and will protect your seals from any nasties on the forks.
          Last edited by bwringer; 04-08-2019, 05:58 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
            ................. i had to go back to the 850 parts fiche to see the ring you are talking about............................................. .................... in that pic all i see are "leak proof" seals.
            Hum yah, the 850 fisch does show a ring in addition to the seal.

My photo is from a past occassion of seal replacement. Have yet to start this occassion.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              ................. Only after I studied the shape of the seal did I notice an orientation.
              I will continue to look for orientation. Can see which direction the seal goes based on the instructions.

Comment

Brain, THanks for sharing your experience and thanks for the advise.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Also, I think you're just seeing a glitch in the fiche matrix you're looking at. I'm seeing different part numbers for the seal and the wire retaining clip at my usual source:.
                Yah, I used microfische page for GKZ (early 82) and that had same number and price for the seal and for the retainer clip.
                I then looked at the page for the GK2 (late 82, more like an 83) (that you referenced) and that listed separate numbers.

So, unless I am missing something, the OEM seal for 1100GK, doesnt need any other washers-rings, just that retainer clip.

All the washer-rings must have come with the aftermarket kits.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger
                  A pic of some old seals I have hanging around with noted orientation. .
                  Thanks Glen.

Let me repeat, just to verify that I understand.
                  Well, not really "repeat", but say it somewhat differently ...... just to verify.

The one labeled "Faces Up", shows which side should face up. So, essentially, should be installed that way.
                  And the one labeled "Faces Down", shows which side should be faced down, so, should be installed opposite of that way.
                  Correct....?

So the driver tool will be pushing on the two thinner parts, not on the flat side . . . . .
                  Last edited by Redman; 04-08-2019, 09:42 PM.

Comment

There's no added ring with OEM seals on the GK. Just the seal and the wire clip.

I notice a Leak Proof seals box; there is an aluminum spacer ring provided with Leak Proof brand seals. So toss that ring and install fresh OEM seals and you should be done with this job for the next 10-20 years or so.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 04-08-2019, 11:38 PM.
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Thanks Glen.

Let me repeat, just to verify that I understand.
                      Well, not really "repeat", but say it somewhat differently ...... just to verify.

The one labeled "Faces Up", shows which side should face up. So, essentially, should be installed that way.
                      And the one labeled "Faces Down", shows which side should be faced down, so, should be installed opposite of that way.
                      Correct....?

So the driver tool will be pushing on the two thinner parts, not on the flat side . . . . .
                      Originally posted by dorkburger
                      Correct.
                      On mine there was also a metal washer on top of the seal between the snap ring and seal. Different bike though.

I may be misunderstanding this exchange, but this is 110% wrong.

The "open" side of the seal goes down, towards the oil; the "faces down" pic on the right is what a correctly installed seal looks like.

The driver tool will be pushing on the flat side.

I just checked four different manuals to make sure I'm not crazy.

If your seals leaked when right-side up, there was some other problem.

As Dave noted, driving seals in by striking the open side is a great way to damage the seals.

And the "lip" on the seal is meant to be on the outside; it acts as a dust and dirt scraper to keep contaminants out of the sealing surfaces inside.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 04-08-2019, 11:40 PM.
                      Eat more venison.

Comment

Hmmm.
                        I defer to you as as you as you are far more experienced then me.
                        Thank you for the correction.

My 1150 does have a washer on top of the seal from the factory, but other then that I'm now confused. I think I still have a set of fork bottoms with one original seals in them. I want to check to satisfy my own mind.
                        I'm going to delete my post / picrure so as not to cause anymore confusion.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

In my case the bottom of the fork tube has a taper and no grooves at all so I put it back together by running the tube down into the fork leg from the top. As to the seal, the bottom was "open" and the new one (All Balls) was placed in the same position, used the old seal as a drift with a piece of wood over the top to even out the pressure as I tapped it into place.
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Dave, can you please check in to let us know that you saw Brian's info. I don't want to steer you wrong.
                            I'll send you a message if i dont hear back here.
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              Dave, can you please check in .................
                              Yep. Yep, am studying this. (Ordered a set of OEM seals yesterday afternoon.)

Thanks for your concern.
                              Last edited by Redman; 04-09-2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X