Got new tires today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got new tires today

I took the 850 in today and got new tires installed. Picked it up, went down the road a little then noticed my speedometer wasn't working. Could they have done something wrong when reinstalling wheel?? I have my suspicions!!! Also noticed after I went back and they disconnected the cable that my signals were not self cancelling. I assume this is cause the speedometer is disconnected. Just checking that my assumptions are correct.
    83 gs850
    07 vtx1300c

You are correct. Look for the drive unit on the left side of the front axle. If the cable was detached, make sure the inner core is still present.

The self-cancelling signals rely on a signal from the speedo cable to tell how fast you are going. For the signals to cancel, you must travel more than 10 MPH for more than 10 seconds. If it can't sense speed, it will assume you are not moving.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's a bummer. Sometimes the two little tangs on the speedo drive gear get bent when they're installed wrong and it doesn't spin with the wheel. Mine did that and I was able to straighten it without issue.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Why has no one commented on the incompetence of the shop?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Why has no one commented on the incompetence of the shop?
          Because we just assume all shops are incompetent with old bikes?
          That's why most of us do the work ourselves.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

What ^^^^ he said.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Yep, many times, with these old bikes, the bike is older than the guy working on it. Hope nothing is lost or missing, good luck.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Take it back and let THEM deal with it, there's no sense in paying for the parts to fix someone else's error. Keep in mind for next time that a set of tires irons off eBay, some balance beads and a can of silicone spray will cost about the same as mounting one tire and you'll have the tools and knowledge to do it yourself next time.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Yep. Bring it back. What's the bet the cable slipped out of engagement at the top and they just pushed the bottom back on and left it hanging by a few threads and out of engagement.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                    Keep in mind for next time that a set of tires irons off eBay, some balance beads and a can of silicone spray will cost about the same as mounting one tire and you'll have the tools and knowledge to do it yourself next time.
                    No argument about the tire irons, but then, there are tire irons and then there are tire irons. Some are much better than others.

I have not used balancing beads, but know a few people who have. My mind still has trouble wrapping itself around the physics of it.

Personally, I would NOT use silicone. Silicone has no expiration date on the slipperiness. If you happen to hit the brakes just a little too hard not long after mounting the tires, it's possible that the rims will stop with the brakes, but the tires will keep rolling on the road. The best thing to use is proper tire lube. When I run out of that, I have been known to use some liquid dish soap. It at least dries so it's not slippery.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good point on the silicone Steve, that's something I hadn't considered. As to the beads, trust me (and others) they just work! Here's the irons I picked up a couple of months back, you're not gonna bend or break these things, that's for sure. There inside an old piece of inertube and strapped to my rear grab bar. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3pc-Motorcy...item1a6305a900
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                        Because we just assume all shops are incompetent with old bikes?
                        Lots of them aren't so hot with new bikes, either.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                        X