Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS750L Fork Seal Replacement

Hi all,

Question regarding fork seal replacement. I've seen people on the forum, and the BikeCliff guide, say they used a bike pump to pop the fork seals out, however my forks don't appear to have the same kind of air nozzle attachment at the top of the fork. Does that mean my only alternative approach is buying/making the 3ft tool for extracting the top fork section? Are there any other ways for doing this? I would prefer not drilling a hole in the seal, because it's too close to the fork tube for comfort. Would compressing the fork create enough friction to get the hex bolt at the bottom out?

Thanks!

If you have a impact tool (air- or electric-powered), you might not have to do anything except hold the tube and zip out the bolt.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Would getting it back in be difficult? I don’t have a good understanding of what the bolt at the bottom is attached to, so just want to make sure I’m not causing myself a giant headache later. But also I don’t have an electric/air impact tool, however getting one would be easier than making the extension tool.

Comment

leave the forks assembled, the compressed fork spring will help keep the fork tube from spinning. no telling what the PO did, the bolt may be too tight, stuck, or you may get lucky as i did on my L project. try a little heat from a propane torch on the bolt head first, that may help break it free. as stated below, an electric or air impact will usually work. { i borrowed one to remove the front sprocket, really should buy one some day }. someone created the tool you mention on this site, it simply holds the tube from spinning if the other methods fail.

Comment

Ok, thanks, I’ll give that a go. Another question: I got the fork off and at the bottom is a black dial with numbers 1-4. It turns, but nothing becomes loose. Does this thing just pop off? I can’t get to the bolt that’s supposed to be there.

Comment

sounds you like have adjustable fork(s), i don't. here's mine,

Shop online for OEM Front Fork parts that fit your 1979 Suzuki GS750L, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-964-1882

Comment

Working...
            X