Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake pulse

Hello-
    I have a 79 gs850g. When the front brake are applied I have a pulsing effect. If this were a car, I would guess warped rotor. Looks like new rotors are hard to come by for this old machine. Can they be surfaced? Or is there somewhere else I should look on the brakes for the problem? New pads last year. Wheel off over winter to have it painted, the rotors were removed at that time and marked L &R.
    Thanks
    Chuck

It is possible you have bad rotors but there could be other things too. When was the last time your wheel bearings were replaced? Also how about the brake lines - are they still the original rubber or have they been replaced with stainless steel lines yet? Have you flushed the old brake fluid out and replaced it yet?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

New SS lines and fluid last year. I've never replaced the wheel bearings.

Comment

I would definitely replace them (can get AllBalls at a decent price) while you confirm whether the rotor is in good shape
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It may just be me, but, I've had much better luck with motorcycle brakes, at a local machine shop than I ever had at an automotive brake shop or parts house.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I warped a rear once pulsed horribly though the warpage was quite small. a sheet of glass make a good ad hoc measuring surface.

def check mount points of wheel for dirt or a smidge of paint.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

My guess is the rotors are not back flat in the wheel.
              I would take them off and make sure that the mating surfaces are absolutely spotless.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The other thing that can happen is that overheated pads ruin the heat treatment in one spot, leading to a spot on the rotor with more or less friction. Sometimes you can even see these as a blue or dark spot on the rotor.

If you're feeling the pulsing through the brake lever, the rotor is physically warped. If you're feeling it mostly in the suspension, then you have a hot spot. Or some combination of these.

In any case, replacement is usually the best option; GS rotors are not really thick enough to turn.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Checked rotor run out, lh.002 rh.004
                  But, I greased the slide pins and all is fine now.
                  Thanks for all the replys.

Comment

Working...
                  X