1980 GS1000G Tires Aged Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G Tires Aged Out

The GS1000G I keep in Maine has aged out Metzlers. The rear is showing cracks.

I'm looking at either Road Riders, or BT45s. BT 45s feel a bit grippier, but I don't think they last as well as the Avons. I haven't experienced the premature cracking some have experienced with the Avons. I'm also looking at Metzlers, but frankly, I wasn't that impressed with the last ones, grip wise.

Never tried Shinko, but the price sure looks good. I'm hoping to have a couple thousand mile tour late this summer, and maybe another next summer on the Maine bike. I have preferred 120-90-17 rear and 100-90-19 front to 130s on the back for slightly more neutral handling.

Any other tires I should be looking at?
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

I like the Shinko's even more than roadriders. They don't last as long but that's ok as I don't do enough mileage to wear out the Avon's anyway, use the KLR for that.... You'll easily get 5,000 out of them.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks. Are we looking at the Shinko Tourmaster?
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I recommend the Shinko 712. I must be on my 3rd tire rear, 2nd tire front.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Either the 712 or the 230 Tour Master will do just fine.

My personal experience is with the 230. Mileage will depend on how hard you thrash the bike, but 5-8,000 would be reasonable. I think bwringer got just a bit less than 5,000, but you have to keep in mind that most tires cringe when they see that they are headed for one of his bikes. Several years ago, he did a torture test just to see how good they are. He pronounced them "rather good, especially considering the price", but said that he got about twice the miles from a set of Avons at less than twice the price, so would go bact to Avon, just to have fewer tire wrangling sessions per season.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I use the 712's. I used to reliably figure I'd get 2-1 in mileage on pretty much any tire BWringer rode. There's less of him these days so maybe not so much....

Also of note - when I've run a tubeless setup I've got more miles than with tubes by about 10%. My guess is with tubes runs hotter. (I've got multiple sets of wheels & tried this across multiple bikes).

One thing I would say about the Shinko's - I've found (and I know Nessism has too... ) that you sometimes need to run more weight to balance the Shinko's. Not always though... seems their tolerances perhaps aren't as good as the likes of Avon.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I've had good luck with the 712's.....the rear lasts about 4K ,while the current front is approaching 7 k and still looks good. I spend lots of time on dirt roads, but don't push things.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Currently running Shinko 230 on my GS850G. I've also run the 712 and can't tell the slightest difference. I've pushed both VERY hard wet and dry. The 230 has a higher speed rating and only costs about $5 a set more, so I lean toward that one slightly.

I'm probably going to stick with these; I don't pile nearly as many miles on my GS850 these days with at least two other bikes, so I end up spooning on a new set about once a year. I really like having fresh sticky buns every year.

I always replace both; the front on a heavy bike ridden hard definitely gets a lot of wear. Just because fronts don't get a bald flat spot in the middle doesn't mean they aren't worn out.

Avons and a few other higher-end brands normally come perfectly balanced from the factory. I've had a few Shinkos show up like that, but most need a little weight. I haven't seen any that need noticeably more weight than average.

I did once get a Shinko 712 with a defective bead; the only defective new tire I've ever seen out of hundreds I've handled and installed. The vendor replaced it with no trouble.

One thing that's important on vintage bikes with tubeless wheels is to place the bare wheel on your balancing stand and find the true heavy spot; often it is NOT at the valve stem (on modern bikes, the manufacturing is more consistent and the valve stem usually is the heavy spot as expected). Mark this with a little dot of paint or something so you can match the mark for the tire's light spot to your wheel's heavy spot and minimize the amount of balance weight needed.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have Shinkos on my GS1000, previously had Metz.

I like the Shinkos a lot, especially considering the price.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                  X