Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tires that are good for street and trail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tires that are good for street and trail?

I'm embarrassed to say exactly how old my tires are but the rear is ready to be replaced (down to the wear bar), and the front looks good but is old enough that I know I need to replace it. I will take it to a guy that can probably get me just about anything, and I'll ask his opinions as well. I'm running Duro's now because that's what the Suzuki shop put on last time I needed tires and the price was good. I like to ride the packed gravel/dirt forest roads in my area just about as much as I ride on the street. Since the bike is now running reliably (knock on wood) and I ride a lot more, I actually care what tires I get. There probably isn't a reasonably priced tire that does will on both, but maybe there's a happy medium? Don't want to break the bank. So does anyone have a recommendation? I realize this is a bit like asking what kind of oil should I run and am likely to get a lot of opinions, possibly some strong ones. Whatcha got? Thanks
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

I don't know what's out there, but whatever the wee-Strom rider I met on the Dempster Highway a couple of weeks ago was running should be taken off your hit list. He'd had four flats in three days. I regret not asking what he was using, but I had my own flat to worry about at the time.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

The Shinko 705's are a good tyre & cheap for what they are. Learn how to fit them yourself though as you'll probably only get 5k out of them.

The Shinko 705 has a versatile tread pattern that provides excellent wet and dry weather adhesion and smooth running on the highway.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

True, what ^^^^^ said. Tires are not that hard to change and if you are going to be riding much, well, you just should do your own. I should add that if you have a place where you can actually do your own.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I find the tread pattern on the shinko 712 rear works nicely in the soft stuff-good bite. Lasts about 4K for me
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have the space and I used to change my own dirt bike tires when I was a kid so I might just do it myself. Do I need anything special, good set of tire irons?
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

You'll have no problem..3 tire irons, plastic rim protectors . Having a lovely assistant makes it easier!

have a look at bwringer's balancing rig....I use a variation

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks tom. lots of great info there. Once I decide on tires, I'll have to weigh what my guy's gonna charge me to mount and balance vs. me liking to do things myself, but having to buy some new tools + my time.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  I find the tread pattern on the shinko 712 rear works nicely in the soft stuff-good bite. Lasts about 4K for me
                  I have Shinko 712 on my 82 GS650G and I’m not liking their wet weather traction whatsoever.

On my 1969 Triumph 500 twin I ran Dunlop K70s and they were great in all weather and soft earth, plus grippy on the fast and dry twisties. IDK if the K70 would look right on my GS.

Edit, Dunlop site says no. But this model looks good from the weather https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/d404/
                  Last edited by Admiral Beez; 07-21-2019, 07:43 PM.
                  1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

What do you not like about the Shinkos? Are you still trying to run at speeds on wet roads that you would ride on dry? I personally think they are still very good on wet
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Last year I put Kenda K761's on my bike, the rear went 6500 miles before hitting the chicken strips. They did well enough but sucked on wet pavement. This winter I went with the Shinko 705 on the back and just recently swapped it out with 9k miles, probably could have gotten another thousand out of it. Now I'm running Shinko 777 front and back and to tell you the truth I see little difference between those and the dual sport tires running on gravel and hard packed dirt. Dual sport tires are attractive price wise but for just a tad more money the 777 is the hands down winner on pavement. If you're not going to attempt any serious off roading and just want to run dirt every now and again go with the 777, is you do want to get serious go with the 705. Either way avoid the Kendas, granted they're dirt cheap but the 705 is only 5-10 bucks more and does a much better job on the pavement.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        What do you not like about the Shinkos? Are you still trying to run at speeds on wet roads that you would ride on dry? I personally think they are still very good on wet
                        Same. I've pushed the Shinko 712s pretty hard in the wet (I have witnesses -- we had quite a few wet roads at the last Brown County rally), and they work perfectly fine.

I mean, no, they don't work all that well in mud and dirt, nor would I ever expect them to. But wet pavement is no problem at all.

Anyway, the Shinko 705 is a damn fine tire -- I've run several sets on my KLR650 and V-Strom. I normally run knobbier tires on the KLR nowadays (currently loving the Karoo 3), but the 705 gives you some portion of off-pavement ability, and has excellent manners and stick in the wet and the dry on pavement.
                        Last edited by bwringer; 07-22-2019, 10:03 AM.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                          Last year I put Kenda K761's on my bike, the rear went 6500 miles before hitting the chicken strips. They did well enough but sucked on wet pavement. This winter I went with the Shinko 705 on the back and just recently swapped it out with 9k miles, probably could have gotten another thousand out of it. Now I'm running Shinko 777 front and back and to tell you the truth I see little difference between those and the dual sport tires running on gravel and hard packed dirt. Dual sport tires are attractive price wise but for just a tad more money the 777 is the hands down winner on pavement. If you're not going to attempt any serious off roading and just want to run dirt every now and again go with the 777, is you do want to get serious go with the 705. Either way avoid the Kendas, granted they're dirt cheap but the 705 is only 5-10 bucks more and does a much better job on the pavement.
                          Agreed. I learned a while back that Kendas are truly awful in the wet. There really are no bad motorcycle tires nowadays... except Kenda.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

705's look like this on a GS:

IMG_4005.jpg
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks all. I’m at Boy Scout camp in the Poconos all week and will look at all the info when I get back and decide which way to go. All the input is extremely welcome and helpful.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                              X