Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tires that are good for street and trail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    What do you not like about the Shinkos? Are you still trying to run at speeds on wet roads that you would ride on dry? I personally think they are still very good on wet
    For me it's their traction over wet streetcar tracks and road plates. On my old Triumph with Dunlop K70s I could turn at a reasonable 15-20 kph over a wet rail and the bike didn't care, but on the Suzuki with the Shinkos it feels like it's going to lose the rear end if I approach a rail at anything above walking speed. Mind you, it might just be a function of the much wider tire, and the slicker profile of street tire vs. the Dunlop K70, so perhaps any tire would have the same issue. Here in Toronto we have streetcars everywhere so you need to be able to cross the tracks without slowing too much.

Here's the Dunlop K-70.

1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

I think just by looking at the tread pattern on that Dunlop you'll find that problem with any tire that looks like the Shinkos. From what I read about the K70, it seems to be more of a dual-sport type tire than a straight street tire. I could see why you think you'd have better grip with it in some situations.

Whatever works for you is more important than any suggestions given
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        I think just by looking at the tread pattern on that Dunlop you'll find that problem with any tire that looks like the Shinkos.
        I think you’re right. Looking at the site https://www.shinkotireusa.com/products I think I may have been more accustomed to the Classic 240.

The ads of the time show an OEM tire that’s closer to the Dunlop K-70 look.

Here’s a period shot of a bike like mine, GS650G. I wonder what these tires are.

Perhaps the Dunlop 404?

Last edited by Admiral Beez; 07-23-2019, 07:51 PM.
        1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

As far as I recall, the factory bikes came fitted with Japanese Rubber Corp tyres and most European riders were glad to ditch them and fit something decent.
          The JRCs were fine in the dry but less so in the wet. Probably the compounds used weren't really all that well suited to European roads, especially all year around.
          Fitting a set of Dunlop K404s is likely a upgrade from them anyway.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If you don't like the Shinkos when they get wet you'll despise the 404s when they get old. They turn very very evil when it's time to change them out.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

OK. I think I've settled on the Shinko 705's based on reviews and price. Prices below are from cheapcycleparts.com, but I haven't shopped around at all yet. I know I can get tire irons and stick-on wheel weights on Amazon.

This is what's on the rear now:
              Rear Wheel (original AFAIK): 17 x MT 2.5
              Rear Tire: Duro 120/90-17

Will Replace with:

SHINKO 705 DUAL SPORT
              Item: 87-4520
              SHINKO 705 DUAL SPORT BIAS TT

Size: FRONT/REAR 120/90-17 - $56.26

This is what's on the front now:
              Front Wheel (original AFAIK): 19 x MT 1.85
              Front Tire: Duro 100/90-19
              This size is apparently not available in the Shinko 705, so, will this work?
              SHINKO 705 DUAL SPORT
              Item: 87-4527
              SHINKO 705 DUAL SPORT BIAS
              Size: FRONT 110/80-19 - $46.88

If what I've recently learned about tire sizes is correct (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) the difference is that the front Shinko will be 10mm wider than the Duro and 2mm shorter ((100*.9)-(110*.8)) =2mm. so, will this work?

Thanks for all of the input fellas.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Sinko 705 Initial thoughts:

So I had my mechanic mount and balance my tires. I just wasn't comfortable doing it myself. But anyway...
                I paid a litte bit more to get a radial front, only Bias Ply were availble in the rear size.
                I rode with them at the pressure in my manual of 24f -28r for a few days back an forth to work. This seemed a bit "squishy" to me on the road and a bit too eager to drop in to the curves. Boosting them to 28f-32r gave them a much better feel, to me. And the only time I ever feel any "knobbiness" is below 10mph, coming to or leaving a stop. I put over 150 miles on them this weekend. Dry steet, wet street, I was not disappointed at all. But on the type of forrest roads that I like to ride, that look more or less gravelly than the pic below, the tires were absolutey awesome, made me feel very sure footed. I am definitely impressed so far with this tire choice.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

So you are running radial front and bias ply on the rear? Sounds a little strange in my opinion but IDK, maybe it's ok. Just not sure I would do it.

I remember when I 1st put radials on my Honda, it felt like it would just simply fall into a tight corner. Got used to it real quick though. Good luck with yours.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I've done pretty well on the 777's until this last couple of weeks but yesterday in particular I wished the 705 was on at least the back again. Found a WAY cool spot off the beaten path a few weeks back down a two track road and used that as my home base. After 12 hours of steady rain the little bit of loam on top of the coarse sand underneath made for a hair raising ride out. I'm considering going with Continental TKC70 next time, the 777 on back is showing more wear than I like with only about 3500 miles on it.
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                    X