Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS850g air equalizer o-ring

Hi all,

I'm planning on replacing the fork air equalizer (balance?) o-rings on my '83 GS850g. There are 4 of them (2 on each side). I was hoping to buy the o-rings before I tore everything apart, does anyone know what size they are? I've attached a picture for reference.

Thank for the help!

orings.jpg
    1983 GS 850G

No idea what size they are, but you can just order OEM and not have to worry about getting the right size from somewhere else. Assuming they send the right part that is.

Shop online for OEM Steering Stem (Model D) parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS850G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Crap, never mind. #13 in the schematic isn't even available.
    Last edited by Burque73; 04-14-2020, 03:37 PM.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

CMSNL charges 5 euro per o-ring.
      That would make me wonder about alternate sources, too.
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

It looks like Bikebandit has them available. I just plugged in ship to Canada and was floored by shipping costs. $21.76 plus $30 for international shipping, no wonder you're looking around elsewhere.

I'll be curious to know if you're able to separate that part from the fork tubes and how you did it. I had one heck of a time with them when I replaced the springs last year. Never did get the things apart. At least the fork seals are still good.

Here's a thread I started on that repair.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Burque73,

Thank for the info.

I attempted to change the fork oil last year and I had some trouble pulling the forks off too. There are no retaining rings or anything of that the sort. I basically just pulled the forks through the air balancer. It was a little hard at first but it got easier once things started moving.

The real problem came up when I tried to fill the correct amount of oil. As far as I remember, it was 140 mm from the top of the compressed fork. When it was filled to the correct level, oil would leak out from a hole on the form that is located where the air balancer normally sits. So, I figured I would drain all the oil, reinstall everything and use the correct volume of oil (251 ml) instead of the height. When I did that, oil started to leak from underneath the air balancer. At this point, I'm thinking maybe the o'rings are worn and need replacement. If you have thoughts, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks,
          1983 GS 850G

Comment

That... is a damn good question.

I replaced these with OEM on my '83 eight fiddy G a few years ago, and the o-rings were available at that time. I don't recall any particular difficulty other than they were a little fiddly and getting the fork tube back in was a little harder with new o-rings.

The size definitely isn't embedded in the part number.

We know, of course, that the fork tube is 37mm OD.

If you can measure the depth and width of the o-ring slot, we can figure out which metric o-rings are needed. McMaster-Carr sells 37mm ID o-rings in 1mm and 1.5mm cross-sections.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
              CMSNL charges 5 euro per o-ring.
              That would make me wonder about alternate sources, too.
              CMSNL are a bunch of pirates.
              I ended up getting seals from Fowlers UK, for 2/3 the price and half the shipping cost.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

I replaced these with OEM on my '83 eight fiddy G a few years ago, and the o-rings were available at that time. I don't recall any particular difficulty other than they were a little fiddly and getting the fork tube back in was a little harder with new o-rings.

If you can measure the depth and width of the o-ring slot, we can figure out which metric o-rings are needed. McMaster-Carr sells 37mm ID o-rings in 1mm and 1.5mm cross-sections.
                Alrighty, I guess I'll have to tear it apart before buying replacements. Stay tuned, I'll do the measurements as soon as it gets a littler warmer around here.
                1983 GS 850G

Comment

FWIW, you can definitely re-use these at least a few times.

Countless '83 GS owners have replaced steering stem bearings without even being aware of these o-rings. I'd squirt a bit of some sort of oil in there before disassembly to help keep them from sticking, and of course you want to make sure the outside of the fork has a light coating of oil before assembly.
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

I finally made some time to take the thing apart and do the measurements. The slot is 3 mm wide and 1.5 mm deep. So I was thinking of getting a 36 mm I.D. with a 2 mm cross-section. This way I'll have 0.5 mm interference fit on each side which equates to about 2.7%. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
                    1983 GS 850G

Comment

Originally posted by magman View Post
                      I finally made some time to take the thing apart and do the measurements. The slot is 3 mm wide and 1.5 mm deep. So I was thinking of getting a 36 mm I.D. with a 2 mm cross-section. This way I'll have 0.5 mm interference fit on each side which equates to about 2.7%. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
                      In doing the math and recalling my installation of the OEM o-rings, that sounds about right. You do need a little stretch, so 36mm ID is just about perfect on 37mm fork tubes.

I'd use Buna-N o-rings because they're slightly softer than Viton; I do remember that it took some wiggling and shoving to get the fork tubes installed past the new o-rings. I lubricated the fork legs with a bit of fork oil.

Let us know how it turns out!
                      Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                      X