Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help tyre inner tube Metzeler Tourance

Hey Guys,

I’m finishing my scrambler build on my gs550L and found some very nice Metzeler Tourance tyres in the following sizes:

Rear 120/90/17
    front 100/90/19

Now, i’m pretty new to tyres that need an inner tube (rear tyre) and was wondering what kind of inner tube should i get? What type of valve should it have that fits this tyre and the gs rim?

Would love to get some info on this! Btw i’m based in Europe!

Thanks in advance,
    Oliver

ps: build foto’s will be uploaded soon when finished

Inner tubes are made of stretchy rubber, and they fit a range of tire sizes. Plus, they're also often designated using old-fashioned inch sizes, which are still common for dirtbike tires. So it can be confusing, and with many online retailers, they do a terrible job of communicating the size ranges on their websites. Inventory and online shop software has trouble coping with stretchy things...

Anyway, you'll need a TR-4 or TR-6 valve. I think most come with TR-6, and you'll also see "center", meaning it's in the center of the tube. In motorcycle sizes, they're all center, but on stuff like tractor ATV tires, the stem can be on one side.

As far as sizes, you'll need to find your rim diameter, then look for a tube compatible with your width.

Here's a good example from a US retailer of a front tube you could use:
    America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.

For the rear, 120/90-17 is a little rare, but converts to something in the 4.50-4.75 width range, so this tube would work:
    America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.

Notice how it fits everything from 4.00-17 up to 5.10-17.

Obviously, you'll need to find a European source for tubes, but that should get you started. It might help to search for the manufacturer part numbers. For these IRC tubes, that would be T20072 and T20052.

As far as brands I usually try to stick with major brand tubes, like IRC, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin, Metzeler, etc. Sometimes the cheap Chinese tubes sold under various brand names are OK, sometimes they're not. Most often I end up with IRC; they're usually made in Taiwan, quality is great, and the pricing is reasonable.
    Last edited by bwringer; 04-28-2020, 08:50 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

IRC tubes are nice heavy rubber, that adds mass if that's important to you. Avon tubes are much thinner, I've pinched one while installing it and put a hole in it. In my experience price doesn't nesessarily buy higher quality, stick to a name brand and you should be fine.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
        Avon tubes are much thinner, I've pinched one while installing it and put a hole in it.
        I learned early on to buy two tubes for one flat. I can pinch a hole in any thickness of tube.

Praise Bob!
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          I learned early on to buy two tubes for one flat. I can pinch a hole in any thickness of tube.

Praise Bob!
          My tube of rubber cement and a piece of old tube trimmed to size with a razor took care of the leak. Had a tube blow about a month after getting this bike one the road and didn't have a repair kit with me, that won't happen again!
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks, for the replies. I’ve purchased the Metzeler Tourance tyres they look great, very happy!

Comment

Working...
            X