Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone try....Michelin Pilot Street Radial Rear Motorcycle Tire 130/70/17

Hi:

anyone try....Michelin Pilot Street Radial Rear Motorcycle Tire 130/70/17?
    Thanks
    joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Not that make or model, but I've had a couple of radials on the rear, and the difference in handling was worthwhile.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Radials require a wider rim. Be sure that the 130 is good for your rim size. I was going to use a GS1150 rim (3.5") to run radials but never got around to it.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

What rim size on rear GS850gn..............think it will work? Or throwing money away.
        Joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

Originally posted by joe penoso View Post
          What rim size on rear GS850gn..............think it will work? Or throwing money away.
          Joepenoso
          Same as mine - it works.
          ---- Dave
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

It may "work", but I would check the manufacturer's specs to see what width rim is recommended.

I tried installing a radial on the back of my Wing, and found that it just won't work, the rim is too narrow. I have to run the tire at maximum pressure just to get anything resembling "stability" on the rear. That gives a rather rough ride and strange handling because the pressure is so high.

I realize the GS is different, but the rim is even narrower, making me a bit apprehensive.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There MIGHT also be an issue with getting a matching front.
              Some tire manufacturers, depending on the bike and tire model being used do not recommend mixing bias and radials tires.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I couldn't find a spec quickly on the Michelins, but other brands in that size require a 3.50 inch rim width, with 3.00 - 4.00 acceptable.

I'm not sure of the rear wheel or original tire width on the 1979 GS850G, but on the '83 it's listed as 2.50 inches for a 4.50-17 rear tire.

The most direct conversion for 4.50-17 into modern sizes is 120/90-17, but that size is really rare so pretty much everyone with a GS850G/1100G/1000G runs 130/90-17 and it works very nicely.

So anyway, running a rim an inch narrower for that 70 series tire is going to pinch it pretty badly and make the profile more pointy and oval instead of smoothly round.

Going from personal experience with a friend's bike, some PO (the accursed Previous Owner) stuffed a 130/80-17 on the rear and it turned the handling to, technically speaking, absolute poop. The bike felt unstable and inconsistent. This was easily corrected by installing the correct size tire. Installing a 130/70-17 rear would have even worse results.

FWIW, on the front it's also important to stick to the correct 100/90-19. For some daft unknown reason, maybe because that's all a shop had in stock or something, POs often stuff 110 tires onto the fronts of shafties and they then handle like pigs (The GK models did come with wider wheels, beefier forks, and 110 tires.). My GS850G came to me with a 110 on the front, and the difference once I figured this out and installed the correct tire was astonishing.

Motorcycles aren't cars, and wider is not better. The closer you can get the original tire sizes, the better the bike will handle. And Suzuki's shafties are some of the best-handling bikes of the '70s and '80s; Suzuki really got the geometry right on these long before Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Honda started to figure it out. The correct tire sizes are an important part of the equation.

And just to head off another question that pops up over and over and over and over and over again, no, there's not a wider rear wheel that will let you stuff phat meats onto your vintage Suzuki. It's possible to adapt later model wider rims onto chain drive bikes, but thus far this isn't really practical for shafties without some very advanced fabrication capabilities. If you feel the need to do that, start with a chain drive motorcycle.

Just take a look at the left side of the tire where it passes the swingarm. Only a few MM of clearance there, so a wider tire will rub.
                Last edited by bwringer; 07-29-2020, 09:44 AM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

That must be why the 130 / 80 / 17 radial on the rear of my GS makes it handle like a pig.

Oh wait. It doesn't.
                  ---- Dave

Comment

the difference might be in the lower profile (80). A 90 might be that much closer to swingarm given the sides of it get closer towards the front? I don't know that but it'd be worth exploring this aspect? I do know the lower profile does change handling in a real way for me with my first skinnier- tired bike versus the round 90s...

Comment

What make, size radial are you using? How long does it last??.

Joepenoso
                      Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      That must be why the 130 / 80 / 17 radial on the rear of my GS makes it handle like a pig.

Oh wait. It doesn't.

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

Originally posted by joe penoso View Post
                        What make, size radial are you using? How long does it last??.
                        One of these.

Fitted it last year, so don't know how long it will last; it's less than half-worn.
                        Makes no difference, as it was an end-of-line bargain, and you can't get them any more.
                        Doesn't detract from the fact that it's a radial in that size on this bike and it handles well.
                        ---- Dave

Comment

Just got back from appx. 60 mi. on my CB1100F with its brand new Michelin Pilot 130/70/17's maiden voyage. Feels great as most new installs do, due to being compared to old worn out that it replaced. It does feel very good. Looked for wheel size found 17 X MT 3.00, guessing 17" dia., & 3.00" width. Next question, how long will it last ????
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Inquiring minds want to know
                            joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

Working...
                            X