First flat tire experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
    The official battery tender brand comes with a 7.5 amp fuse. Brian recommended a 30 amp.
    Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    If I put a 30 amp fuse in the Battery Tender lead, to make it safer to run the pump, is there any reason I’d need to put the 7.5 back in to use the Battery Tender.
    I usually use a 20 amp; I popped a 10 amp with a compressor once. If you stop and start a hot compressor with a nearly full tire, it can cause a momentary high load.

And no, you don't need to change the fuse to use the Tender normally. The fuse is only there to protect against a dead short; you're not really giving up much, if any protection by using a larger fuse.

With the small compressors, understand that they do get hot and have a limited duty cycle. If you have to start over after inflating your tire, give it some time to cool off in between. And be careful when handling the compressor or packing it away after use; the metal bits like where the hose screws on get pretty hot.
    Last edited by bwringer; 08-24-2020, 11:57 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I did notice the the air valve fitting was VERY hot when I went to unscrew it from the valve. Great tips. Thanks again Brian.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

This has been great, ...
        I have had 6 flat tires on bikes 5 rear, 1 front.
        Stones mostly, a 3 inch nail and a roofing nail. I now carry a small compressor, but have never used it .
        I have mostly used a plug kit in conjunction with with this motorcycle sized three bond, I have used 5 year old cans that get frozen every winter. It will inflate a 180/55ZR17 from flat to 36 psi. (I carry 2 cans)The "sealant" leaves almost no residue on the rim or in the tire.
        Makes a flat tire a 10 minute stop. (as long as you don't crash)
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
          This has been great, ...
          I have had 6 flat tires on bikes 5 rear, 1 front.
          Stones mostly, a 3 inch nail and a roofing nail. I now carry a small compressor, but have never used it .
          I have mostly used a plug kit in conjunction with with this motorcycle sized three bond, I have used 5 year old cans that get frozen every winter. It will inflate a 180/55ZR17 from flat to 36 psi. (I carry 2 cans)The "sealant" leaves almost no residue on the rim or in the tire.
          Makes a flat tire a 10 minute stop. (as long as you don't crash)
          Isn't that interesting. Never heard of it. Will be looking into that.
          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Great thread!

I had a flat on the KLR outside a tavern in Madrid, NM. My bike was surrounded by Harleys and I though for sure one of those guys were the culprit. After rolling it a bit I found the offending nail I had picked up.

Had to call home and get somebody to come pick me up. After that I carried a tube and compressor.

That threebond stuff seems like a great idea. Has anybody used this Fog Hollow place?

Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

With the small compressors, understand that they do get hot and have a limited duty cycle. If you have to start over after inflating your tire, give it some time to cool off in between. And be careful when handling the compressor or packing it away after use; the metal bits like where the hose screws on get pretty hot.
              yes Short bursts of duty will increase longevity of these. There's no lubrication on the piston ..
              BUT the "mere" act of compressing air (and much else) also creates a lot of heat. Even a hand pump gets warm.

Comment

(Ok this thread ain't so old)
                So I have just 250 mi on a new rear tire and found a puncture…ugh
                I can plug it, but with that hold at 140 MPH?
                This is my track bike.
                Anybody trust a rope plug for track riding?
                Thanks
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Bill, I don't think there are many here who regularly track their bike like you do. You're the only one of the regulars who I know do it at all. So I have no track experience. And I'm only replying to this 4 year old thread because I started it. But, I think you already know the answer to your question. At 140 mph, no way in he!! I would trust a plug.

Makes me wonder if track officials have rules that can keep a bike off the track if they see a plug in a tire. You'd know that better than I.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-22-2024, 03:26 PM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I trust plugs & never had a problem with them, other than having to put 2 in the same hole... Track bike running 140mph, naw, fix it so you won't be wondering about it at 140
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Fairly sure a proper mushroom repair will hold at speed, but it's your neck.
                      Fwiw, the fastest I've ever gone on a repaired tyre was only about 100, just in case.
                      Box of 24 plugs to repair a 6mm injury to a tyre. Repairs the hole and surface with only one plug , protecting against leaks,seals and humidity.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

At 120 mph I trust nothing and nobody (never went 140).
                        Get a brand new tire. Save the plugged one for tooling around town...at less than 100 mph.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                          ...Makes me wonder if track officials have rules that can keep a bike off the track if they see a plug in a tire. You'd know that better than I.
                          Some explicitly mention and ban puncture repairs, and with some the wording is something like "tires must be in good condition, with X% tread depth..." or "tires must be undamaged"...

"Undamaged" is clear enough, and would preclude plugs. "Good condition" might have a little wiggle room.

Whether an inspector thinks a plug equals "good condition" is I suppose up to the inspector, but safety aside, I would never want to gamble a track day on whether the inspector will spot the plug or not or whether he feels generous that morning.

The issue is not really the air leak; it's the damage that might have been done to the structure of the tire. I'm sure a small nail that went straight in and was pulled out and plugged before the tire was ridden with low pressure would physically be just fine at 140mph. But where do you draw that line? There's an unknown amount of risk there, to you and others on the track. If an inspector sees a plug, I don't think he's going to take that risk, and he may take a very dim view of the attempt to slip past.

Sometimes track inspections are a 30 second once-over from five feet away and you might get away with it. Sometimes they really get in there and actually look at the tires fairly carefully.

In sum, it's not worth either type of gamble. Buy a new tire for the track day.

Then plug the holed tire and use it on the street. I and many others have ridden many thousands of rapid street miles on rope plugged tires without an issue.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks, right about risk level at top speed, followed by a corner.
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                            X