Worn calliper holder bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worn calliper holder bush

Just stripped the front brake calliper on my GS1000. The calliper axel is badly worn and only a credit card will fix however the bush in the calliper holder is also larger than it should be. Has anyone managed to replace the bush and if so what size bush is required?
    1FA95BBC-2502-42E5-A778-68E5574862E1.jpg
    Suzuki GS1000 1978
    Honda CB400F 1976

Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.

I have a pair of the 79 hockey-puck calipers that I'll never use.
    I'll have a look at them for wear (I'm fairly sure they're ok) and if they're not knackered, you're welcome to them.
    I replaced them with the 80-onwards calipers as they're simply much better, and the internal cavity of the 79 casting was a corrosion trap - so much so that I decided not to chance using them at all.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Grimly you’re a star. Was hoping to just put new bushes in however your suggestion sounds a lot easier. Drop us a PM if you think their ok and well come to an arrangement.

Thanks,
      Greg
      Suzuki GS1000 1978
      Honda CB400F 1976

Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.

Comment

Personally I’m not sure why anyone would use that old caliper.... I’m with Grimly on that
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Sure, the bores can be drilled and bushed. But be aware that a fair bit of "slop" is necessary for the brakes to work correctly; I don't know what this clearance is supposed to be, but if it's too tight the calipers can bind.

As noted above, if you actually ride the bike, it's going to be best to put the money and effort toward updated calipers unless there's some compelling reason to keep the bike 100% original.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
          X